8 GB Version, Always seem to be running low on space

ck6

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I got this phone at the end of September when I could change from my iPhone 4 and haven't looked back. However, I've noticed something. I had an 8 GB iPhone 4, a lot more apps on that then I currently do on this phone, as it's new, but it's still almost out of space. I never had any space problems with my iPhone. I have uninstalled all unnecessary apps, cleared cached data, moved all photos to my SD card. I got a 16 GB one. I don't have my phone rooted, but would that be an advantage as to saving some space? My phone can't even update the apps because I need to delete things to make more space. If anyone has any tips on how I could free some space, that would be much appreciated. :D

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Remember that an 8 GB phone never has all 8 GB of internal storage available to the user. 3-4 GB are taken up by the OS, and additional space may also be taken up by various bloatware apps preinstalled by the manufacturer and carrier, so you might only have had about 3-4 GB or so available to use out of the box. This can get filled up fairly quickly, depending on how many apps you install and how big they are. Photos and videos taken by the camera also take up a good amount of storage. iPhones have less of this problem because Apple has total control over what is preinstalled on the phone, which means minimal or no bloatware (although an 8 GB iPhone would still have about 3 GB used by the OS).

See this guide for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not to seem unkind, but that's why people recommend getting the 16GB version.

Yep. It's always a good idea to get as much internal storage as you can comfortably afford. No one should ever get a 4 GB phone any more, and I wish 8 GB phones would disappear soon as well.:-\

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
With some of these apps getting bigger and bigger, 32 should be a more common base for internal storage.

groo79

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
it's still what some of us have though. The 8gb version was the only version offered by Virgin Mobile (my carrier).

groo79

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I found that the Facebook app, which has this weird tiny bloatware app that updates itself into the full version, was hogging almost 500mb by itself. I wound up uninstalling the update and disabling the app I freed up a decent chunk of space. I just access FB through the browser. That is, if you had the same tiny Facebook app stock.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
it's still what some of us have though. The 8gb version was the only version offered by Virgin Mobile (my carrier).

Oh yes, I realize that some don't have many other options. But unfortunately, that does mean that the user can't expect the phone to behave like a flagship phone with 64 or 128 GB of internal storage. And yeah, Facebook is pretty much the king of internal storage, RAM, and battery hogging!:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton