Why won't my phone lock/ recieve notifications?

A

AC Question

Okay, so my phone (a Moto G 3rd gen) has a pin lock on it. I do not have smart lock on or any other settings that should interfere with this. When I turn off my phone (just press the power button to lock it) it doesn't lock. It just shuts off the screen. When I press the power button to turn it back on, I should be prompted to my main screen where I put in the pin, instead, I am already inside the device as if I already put the pin in. Also, this is not the only issue. When I receive a notification, it doesn't pop up or show, it vibrates/makes a noise, but doesn't pop up for anything. When I swipe down from the top it always says no notifications, and I cant swipe down more to access the settings like brightness and flashlight, I have to go into my settings to do so. I have attempted to restart it, and even leave it dead for a little while.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi and Welcome to AC Forums!

Check your Secured Lock Setting, specifically for, "Secured Lock Time" This may be set for up to 1 hour for most phones...meaning, once you enter the lock pin once...it won't ask you again for one hours.

Now as far as the notification issue. Goto Settings>Personal>Lock screen and security>Notifications>Notifications on lock screen>Select Show Content

Hope this helps

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My Moto G is a little different...

For the "Instant lock with power button" look in Settings -> Security there is an option called "Power button instantly locks..." make sure it is turned on.

The delay time when the screen times out before the lock screen method security (PIN, pattern, etc) becomes active is controlled by Settings -> Security with an option called "Automatically lock", tap it to set the time before the lock screen is active when the phone goes to sleep.

To change how notifications are shown on the lock screen, go to Settings -> security and select Screen Lock, enter your PIN/pattern and then change the screen lock to Swipe no None and confirm it. Then set it back to your desired security method and set the PIN/pattern and confirm it, after that you will be offered a page that asks "when your device is locked, how do you want notifications to show?", select Show all notification content and then tap Done.

jimt1029

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
What version of Android are you on? Notifications are different on Lollipop (5.1) than on Marshmallow (6.X) in the Moto G. In Lollipop, you could choose to use Android Ambient Display, Moto Display or no screen notifications. In Marshmallow, the Moto app controls screen notifications. If you do not have Moto Display on, you will not see any notifications in Marshmallow.

JessCarny

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
This isn't my issue either. Reread what I have said. I have all other these things turned on, but they aren't working. When my phone is on, the notifications don't pop up on screen. So I don't know what app they are from. For the screen lock. When I turn on my phone, despite having my lock on, it doesn't show up. I am already inside my device. When I restart my phone, the screen to unlock it doesn't show up either.

BobbyOntime

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Mine started doing the same thing this morning- along with a bunch of other weird stuff. The center home button doesn't do anything, the time is no longer displayed as military time, I can get texts but phone calls don't come through.

I really don't want to reset everything but its starting to look like that's the only answer.

Mine is a Gen 2 I've only had for a couple months.

JessCarny

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
YES YES YES omg this is also a problem with mine. Please if you find anything let me know. I'm supposed to go to my provider soon if I cant find what's wrong, and I really don't want to reset it. If you find anything please let me know. Or if you reset it and it goes back to normal let me know.

BobbyOntime

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I called Motorola support and they told me I had to reset it. The reset option is greyed out so I tried to do the hard reset, but then I couldn't get past the distressed Android screen. Instead of giving me a workaround or actual solution I was told I would have to send them the phone. I can't go without a phone for 5-7 business days so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.

This is my first venture into the land of Android and I am so far very disappointed.

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I called Motorola support and they told me I had to reset it. The reset option is greyed out so I tried to do the hard reset, but then I couldn't get past the distressed Android screen. Instead of giving me a workaround or actual solution I was told I would have to send them the phone. I can't go without a phone for 5-7 business days so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do.

This is my first venture into the land of Android and I am so far very disappointed.

To get past the distressed android hold down power and tap volume up. I've had bad experiences with a moto G, with mine when plugged in and turned off going to the bootloader for no reason, and this is my third replacement. Android as a whole isn't like this.

Posted via the Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Even I am facing the same issue. Could you please help me with the solution for it
Did you read any of the solutions above and try them? There are several possibilities and since you didn't specify exactly what problem you are having read through the above posts (it isn't that long), try a cache wipe and if that fails do a factory reset. Be aware a factory reset will erase all of your data and programs, and you will need to know your Google email address and password to unlock it after a reset due to Android's new Factory Reset Protection system.

Kavetha K

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Did they fix it because I tried the same thing, like resetting and the same thing happened to me. I have already sent it back once for another problem because my microphone was broken. I can't send it back now because it has gone past the 1 year thing. Do you have any other solutions?

Ninety-9 SE-L

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
All the same problems here.
LG G4 Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

I just responded to my girl by SMS when the phone immediately blanked out and went to the Verizon boot screen. (not a full restart, it was only a 15 second boot and back to the home screen).

Current symptoms:
-Phone will not lock, Screen will turn off, but it won't go to the lock screen. Settings are correct.
-No Notifications. I hear them, but nothing shows up in the notification bar.
-No Brightness/Volume/quick access buttons or settings in the notification drop down.
-On-Screen Home/AppSwitch/Notification Drop buttons don't respond, Back button still works.
-Some settings have been cleared: Default Keyboard, default tap sounds, default background.
-Can't access developer options, it says unavailable for this user.
-Some apps have logged out.
-"Unfortunately, the process com.android.settings has stopped." is now a common occurrence.

I have no shady apps on my phone, no root, etc. I don't seem to notice any other problems with the phone, but without a lot of these features, particularly the home button, the phone is now a pain in the *** to use.

As far as the cause, I'm taking a shot in the dark and I'm going to say that some critical file got corrupted. I'm thinking the only solution is to factory reset the phone, which is always a pain.

androidluvrxD

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone figured this out yet? This exact thing happened to me just last night after updating my phone to Marshmallow the day before. It's getting really annoying...

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone figured this out yet? This exact thing happened to me just last night after updating my phone to Marshmallow the day before. It's getting really annoying...
Did you read the thread and try the answers given? There are several things to try, what have you done and what specifically isn't working?

CupquakeZ12

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
I'm having the EXACT same problem on my Moto G3. I really don't want to restart it because I have lots of important things to me on it is there any other way people know of?

ariMa Chr

Feb 8, 2017
Visit site
--NO RESET NEEDED in this case--

Hey guys!

I've got a Moto G2, main problems I had:

- phone didn't lock
- the notifications didn't appear anywhere, I could just hear the sound - occasionally
- there was nothing on the drop down menu - no notifications and no other options like 'airplane mode' etc
- last but not least, I couldn't receive any calls (could receive messages though)

So, after surfing the web in many different forums (where it appeared that Factory Reset was the only solution), I bumped into this magic tip which saved me WITHOUT HAVING TO DO ANY RESET whatsoever!

First switch to Safe Mode (while the phone is switched on): Press Power button and Long press 'Power off' on the popup menu --> Choose 'ok' on the popup window with title 'Reboot to Safe Mode' --> go to Settings --> Users --> Choose 'Guest' and everything starts working fine on the guest account.
Then switch back to your account, turn the phone off and on again (this is needed to restore the applications that were disabled when we reboot into safe mode) and that's about it!

Here's a short video of how to enter and exit the Safe mode step by step:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSHzoSEx8xY>

Hope this helps as it helped me (after struggling for days with this little device of satan! :p)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12