Moto G 3rd gen. Internal memory full - but not really?

A

AC Question

Moto G 3rd gen. Internal memory full - but not really!

Hello everyone!

strange issue with the internal memory here. I have a nice and fast SD card installed to boost the phone's memory, which is very limited. I left on the internal memory only apps that cannot be moved, and some new apps were also installed there.
As I was running low on internal memory, I tried the function "migrate data" to move as much as possible to the SD card, 2.99 GB according to the phone. At approx 60% it stopped with an error message: "Free memory is not enough to move data." or something like that. On the SD card there are more than 20GB free.
Now, my internal memory is completely full! 4.44 GB out of 4.54! I tried clearing all caches and removing all app data, and now the content shows "Apps: 1.24GB" and "Cached data: 1.66MB". That does not add up!

Does anybody have any idea where's all my memory gone?
I cannot do anything on the phone, it is working ok but does not update apps and constantly shows the warning "Storage space running out"!

The device is a Motorola MotoG 3rd generation bought in March, running Android 6.0

Thank you very much to anyone who can help
Andy

richardtc17

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever figure this out? I am having the exact same problem with my sister's 8 GB Moto G 2015. I bought her a minimal phone because she is quite the opposite of a power user, but this problem is putting a kink in my plans.

Thanks so much for any input that you or anyone else can offer.

Richard

newtstafari

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Did you ever figure this out? I am having the exact same problem with my sister's 8 GB Moto G 2015. I bought her a minimal phone because she is quite the opposite of a power user, but this problem is putting a kink in my plans.

Thanks so much for any input that you or anyone else can offer.

Richard

Did anyone suss out how to rectify this?

I can't get notifications either now.

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Having similar problems to the above. Android Marshmallow has come up with this great idea. You have the option to go into your settings and change the SD card to extended storage. The idea being is that you make your storage bigger, and can put whatever you like on the card, and not just pictures and music. By doing this the phone formats the card, so if there is anything on it, it has to be backed up. Like I said, great idea in theory, but I have tried it twice, it didn't work, and I had to factory reset the phone both times. Once done I could see the SD card in settings, but even after plugging it into my PC, I couldn't find a way of putting anything on to it. The first time I tried it I then took the card out and put a different one in that had some photos on it, but it wouldn't read the card. The second time my phone's sound went (yes really). I have emailed Motorola, who went into long detail about what I already new. To be honest, maybe I have done something wrong, so if you figure it our, let me know

Tom_S29

Oct 15, 2018
Visit site
I have got a Moto G3 3rd generation phone and I have exactly the same problem, been backwards and forwards to a phone repair shop and did the whole SD card thing and although they solved it, it still keeps happening.
Having similar problems to the above. Android Marshmallow has come up with this great idea. You have the option to go into your settings and change the SD card to extended storage. The idea being is that you make your storage bigger, and can put whatever you like on the card, and not just pictures and music. By doing this the phone formats the card, so if there is anything on it, it has to be backed up. Like I said, great idea in theory, but I have tried it twice, it didn't work, and I had to factory reset the phone both times. Once done I could see the SD card in settings, but even after plugging it into my PC, I couldn't find a way of putting anything on to it. The first time I tried it I then took the card out and put a different one in that had some photos on it, but it wouldn't read the card. The second time my phone's sound went (yes really). I have emailed Motorola, who went into long detail about what I already new. To be honest, maybe I have done something wrong, so if you figure it our, let me know