External speakers not working

ck6

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi! I have a strange problem with my Moto G 3. I've had it since September with no problems and only a small fall or two onto a soft carpet that didn't hurt it because it has a bulky two piece silicone case protecting it. However, I was watching YouTube videos the other day, and put my phone away to charge overnight while I slept, and when I went to check things in the morning, I discovered the external speakers weren't working.

I can still hear calls. My mom called my cellphone and I could still hear her on the other end. I can still listen to things and hear everything clearly with headphones. When I try to listen to a YouTube video, play a game, etc., even the main touching sounds/notification sounds/etc on the phone won't work with the external speakers.

It's still under warranty so if it's a manufacturing problem, it'll be covered. However, I was wondering if there was anything I could try at home before bringing it in? I did the basic thing like mute/unmute to see if it was as simple as that - it wasn't - and I did a factory reset, as well as turning it off/on. That didn't work. If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be great. I plan to take it to a store tomorrow hopefully.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If by "external speakers", you mean the ones in the phone (not a pair external to the phone that you plug in), one little drop onto plush carpet can dislodge some tiny piece in the earphone jack. It can also get carpet "fluff" into the jack. Look in the jack with a strong light. If there's some fluff or lint in there, make a pair of tweezers with small toothpicks and try to pull it out. Otherwise have the phone replaced. ("External speakers" usually means external to the phone, and you can't drive speakers from the earphone jack unless they have an amplifier in them.)

ck6

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I checked the speaker with a fine light, and didn't see anything there. I did another factory reset before I took it into my local TELUS, and had it off until I got there. For some reason, when we tested it out there, the speakers worked just fine.

The worker showed me how to soft reset. I knew about factory reset but I didn't realize what soft reset did, so that seems to have fixed the strange problem. If it was a manufacturing issue, it wouldn't have been fixed that easily, huh? Oh well, I don't have to send it in now, it was just really strange!