Disappointed in the Moto 3rd gen.

Rover Pow

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Have had it for over half a year, compared to the 1st gen this is just so laggy/slow and the battery life isn't the best as well...
have reinstalled it a couple of times already, seems to fix some problems for maybe like a 1-2weeks.

Seeing some of the recent threads on his forum with people having the same problems Seems like I'm not the only one.
also the double chop for flashlight is soo laggy and barely ever works.. It's the most used thing I have in my phone but I have very bad luck on getting it to work on first time with the double chop method..

Also the battery gets drained soo fast...2.5-3 days MAX and I have to charge the phone again! I use the phone maybe for 30minutes a day, have Data OFF, and wifi is turned on automaticly only when I unlock the phone, and barely have any apps on the phone..

Highly disappointed in this phone!
the only improvement over the 1st gen is the camera and flashlight brightness ( when it works) .

Kris2277

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Love mine. Tried the axe and works perfectly(never use it!). I am on 6.0 . I did a recovery factory data/cache reset long ago when I first got it and upgraded from lollipop. I plug it into a charger every night as it gets down to maybe 80%. Data on, wifi off, BT on. hth

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Bought my wife a Moto G (2015) (looking...) nine months ago. (Wow. How time flies.) She loves it. Battery lasts her for, literally, days. Data and WiFi are never turned off. She uses the phone for extended conversations nearly daily. Has FB and FB Messenger installed. Never heard her complain about lagginess.

Our only complaint with that phone is T-Mobile and Lenovo/Motorola/whatever conspired to eliminate Band 12 and VoLTE, on that phone, so her phone is no better than my 1st Gen. Moto G on TMO's network. In fact: She actually gets worse network coverage performance than me, for some reason. Had it not been for this: I'd have a Moto G3, myself, by now.

greenanon

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Got mine like 2 weeks ago and it's great the only complaint I have is the security patch is still on December of 2015 and won't update anyone know how to manually update it?

Posted via the Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Got mine like 2 weeks ago and it's great the only complaint I have is the security patch is still on December of 2015 and won't update anyone know how to manually update it?

Posted via the Android Central App
That is the newest update for the XT1540, remember that the monthly security updates are only for Nexus devices... other devices are at the manufacturers or carriers discretion. TBH, the chances you will run into a security issues for not being up to the latest patch are less likely than being bitten by a shark while being hit lightening.

40mmrrsmith

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you. I too am very disappointed with e Moto G 3rd gen. The only thing better is the camera and the screen seems slightly better than gen1. There is no other improvement over gen1 that I can tell. Why is the speaker soooo weak. My gen1 ringtone can be heard across the busy/loud shop where I work. I cannot hear the gen3 when it's in my front pocket. The notification feature is useless or not working on my g3. On g1 I could tell from across the room when I had a message. Now I have to pick up the phone to see notifications, which works about 40% of the time. I didn't activate this g3 until about 2 months after I received it so now I can't get a full refund. Oh yeah it also turns on apps all by itself. Today I pulled it out of my pocket and the flashlight was on batt 30% from 100% when I placed it in my pocket three hours ago. Yes screen lock is on. I would have gotten the G4 but I want a phone not a tablet.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you. I too am very disappointed with e Moto G 3rd gen. The only thing better is the camera and the screen seems slightly better than gen1. There is no other improvement over gen1 that I can tell. Why is the speaker soooo weak. My gen1 ringtone can be heard across the busy/loud shop where I work. I cannot hear the gen3 when it's in my front pocket. The notification feature is useless or not working on my g3. On g1 I could tell from across the room when I had a message. Now I have to pick up the phone to see notifications, which works about 40% of the time. I didn't activate this g3 until about 2 months after I received it so now I can't get a full refund. Oh yeah it also turns on apps all by itself. Today I pulled it out of my pocket and the flashlight was on batt 30% from 100% when I placed it in my pocket three hours ago. Yes screen lock is on. I would have gotten the G4 but I want a phone not a tablet.
Don't forget LTE, the original Moto G didn't have LTE.

The volume is bad, really bad, even compared to other Moto's... I went to the Moto X Pure and it is at least 4x louder.

You can go in the Moto app and disable the gestures like double chop for flashlight and double twist for camera, it keeps them from coming on by accident and improves overall battery life.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget LTE, the original Moto G didn't have LTE.
There was an LTE version. I own one. Been using it for nearly two years. I like the phone so much I'd keep it forever--if it had Band 12 support.

My wife has the 3rd Gen. She loves it. Only, lately, it's gotten in the habit of turning the camera on in her pocket. I'll have to look into turning off gestures. She never uses them, anyway.

I'd have a 3rd Gen., myself, by now, if it had VoLTE and Band 12 support. I was this >< close to pulling the trigger on one about two-three months ago. Now, between Lenovorola's hobbling the 3rd Gen. G, what they've done with the 4th Gen. G, and their lousy XPE support: I'm waiting for the next generation of Nexus devices. Or maybe a ZTE Axon 7?

At least, with the 4th Generation G, TMO's VoLTE and Band 12 are supported. If nothing else works out I may go with a G4, but Lenovorola has managed to work themselves from my first choice to my backup choice.

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I hate mine, and I only had it 4 days before I sent to Motorola for repair. Marshmallow is the biggest problem. I initially had it set on portable storage, but with only a dozen or so app all the updates were using up what I had left of the storage. The problem being that Marshmallow uses up so damn much memory. I then had 3 attempts using 2 cards to change it to adopted storage. After the card is formatted it can either NOT been on my PC, or when it is visible and I put data such as music on it, it also uses up space on the hard drive, which can't then be deleted. Anyway, the third attempt just made the phone crash, and despite several efforts to recover it, I failed. To be honest, it's more about Marshmallow than Motorola.

Oh, the chop thing works when it wants, which isn't very often

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan