Pokemon Go

Kris2277

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I had to find out what all the noise was so tried it. Apparently because we don't have a gyro, it won't show the critters on the real image but only a real image with no critter, or a critter in the woods. i did find it was a lot easier to catch a critter when I couldn't see it - ie on the real image - just throw the ball a few times and voila. on the other hand i found it very difficult to catch one in the woods background. That's all I know about P G. and probably all I care to know. Just my fyi. :p

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Were you actually able to install it from the Google Play Store? I would've guessed that the Play Store would mark it incompatible due to the lack of a gyroscope.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It works fine without a gyroscope, only the AR (Augmented Reality) fails... If you close the app and re-open it, the first time you go to catch a Pokemon it should try for a few seconds with AR mode, then pop-up a window that says something is missing and to turn off AR mode.

Everyone I know turns off AR mode anyway, once you get used to it, catching Pokemon and battling is much easier to do with AR off, plus it is much more battery friendly.

Kris2277

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Interesting - I just tried twice to catch a ratta with AR off and both times it locked after I caught it. I immediately caught it with no prob with AR on. I know the servers are busy.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Interesting - I just tried twice to catch a ratta with AR off and both times it locked after I caught it. I immediately caught it with no prob with AR on. I know the servers are busy.
Yeah... That started Friday for everyone intermittently, it's a server side issue. I have caught hundreds of Pokémon with AR turned off successfully. Patience, it will get better.

Kikirllett

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
My AR doesn't work but apparantly the Galaxy A5 2016 hasd a gyro?? Does it or not because nothing seems to be detecting it, even sensor-detection apps.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Weird, because I've seen other sources that say the 2016 version of the A5 does in fact have a gyro: Samsung Galaxy A5 (2016) - Ratings and Specs

I think the Samsung link that acejavelin posted is actually for the previous A5 model, not the 2016 version. That link shows the A500, while the 2016 version is the A510 (http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a5_(2016)-7789.php). That being said, it's hard to find an official spec sheet from Samsung confirming that it has a gyro. Here's a Dutch page for the A510, but it doesn't list a gyro either: Samsung Galaxy A5 kopen | SM-A510 | Samsung

The easiest way to check would be to install an app like Sensor Box and see if the gyroscope is detected.

jvangurp

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Dammit, I have a 2015 Moto G and Pokémon Go will only work when I'm connected to WiFi, not on data. On data it will start up but it just freezes on the startup screen with the dragon face in the background, showing a 1/3 progress bar. Any way to fix this??

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Dammit, I have a 2015 Moto G and Pokémon Go will only work when I'm connected to WiFi, not on data. On data it will start up but it just freezes on the startup screen with the dragon face in the background, showing a 1/3 progress bar. Any way to fix this??
That's a failure to login... Pretty common. FC app, wait a few seconds, and try again.

Kris2277

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
been a lot of problems with servers either getting overloaded or just crashing. Especially in afternoons.

Stupid me, I asked them to delete my profile before i figured out what I was doing wrong. LOL lvl6 now gotta wait 2-3 weeks. Mindless fun and you DO get different critters at night. Caught 3 in a row on the bus.