Moto G 2015 any good today?

Darwin Watterson

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
It's for my mother....
I am deciding between the Honor 5x, Moto G 2015 and Moto G4.

I am leaning towards the g3 because I hear it is water resistant and has dual speakers and cheaper. She isn't a tech girl so she doesn't care about things other than a few apps here and there.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The 2015 G is actually a pretty decent phone to be honest. And for someone with humble needs, it'd probably work just fine. I know from my perspective.. I am the family's chief technology officer, I put far more time and effort into picking out a new phone for my wife than she does... she just sort of shrugs and says "oh, it's fine..."

One other factor to consider is size.... of the three, the G3 is the only one with a 5" screen, the other two are 5.5.

GreatCanadian

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Also, the G3 looks like it has dual speakers, but it doesn't. One of for phone calls, the other (on the bottom) is for playback. When producing sound (playing music for example) the G3 uses only the bottom speaker.

Other than the G3 being pretty slow, it is a pretty solid phone.

GC

EDIT: It kind of slipped my mind, but I am commenting on the CANADIAN version of the G3 which has only 1 GB of RAM. If you are in the US, you can get the 2GB version. That should help with the slow performance I mentioned above.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The G4 and Honor 5x are clearly superior phones here, unless you want a smaller screen... With the Honor 5x running around $175 or less for the 32GB version, it is a super solid device, but the G4 is newer, more simple, and little more expensive. If you can get a 2GB version of the G3 cheap enough ($175 or so) it might be a good buy as well, but avoid the 1GB version.

Actually, you probably won't go wrong with any of the 3 choices.

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I would still recommend the moto G 2015/Moto G Play to anyone who doesn't need the latest and greatest. Of course, this depends on you getting the 2 GB model. It's my current phone and everything but the most demanding games works as expected. It's snappy enough for day to day use, and since you want it for your mother, it should not be an issue (as long as your mother is part of the average mothers group)

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I would still recommend the moto G 2015/Moto G Play to anyone who doesn't need the latest and greatest. Of course, this depends on you getting the 2 GB model. It's my current phone and everything but the most demanding games works as expected. It's snappy enough for day to day use, and since you want it for your mother, it should not be an issue (as long as your mother is part of the average mothers group)
How is the average mothers group?

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
It's for my mother....
I am deciding between the Honor 5x, Moto G 2015 and Moto G4.

I am leaning towards the g3 because I hear it is water resistant and has dual speakers and cheaper. She isn't a tech girl so she doesn't care about things other than a few apps here and there.

I have just bought a G3, and after 4 days had to send it back to Motorola because it has crashed. Unless you are considering the 16gb version, forget it, as the 8gb version is full after the Marshmallow update and a few apps.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I have just bought a G3, and after 4 days had to send it back to Motorola because it has crashed. Unless you are considering the 16gb version, forget it, as the 8gb version is full after the Marshmallow update and a few apps.

I didn't know it had so little storage. Can't you use adoptable storage with a micro SD card?

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
How is the average mothers group?

Average mothers (and fathers) are people who are not tech enthusiasts and no desire to learn and become tech enthusiasts. They want stuff that just works. They don't install a lot of apps, just whatsapp/facebook/facebook messenger.

Oh, and totally get the 16 GB model (or the Moto G Play, that is basically the 2015 model)

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I didn't know it had so little storage. Can't you use adoptable storage with a micro SD card?

Yes, but in my phones case it didn't work. I had three attempts, and used 2 different cards.After this was done I attempted to put data (pictures and music) and the data went on to both the card AND hard drive. Removing it from the hard drive appears impossible. Anyway, the phone crashed and after 4 days it is back at Motorola. I should also mention that Marshmellow takes up an enormous amount of memory, and to be honest, doesn't appear to offer you more than any other Android version.

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but in my phones case it didn't work. I had three attempts, and used 2 different cards.After this was done I attempted to put data (pictures and music) and the data went on to both the card AND hard drive. Removing it from the hard drive appears impossible. Anyway, the phone crashed and after 4 days it is back at Motorola. I should also mention that Marshmellow takes up an enormous amount of memory, and to be honest, doesn't appear to offer you more than any other Android version.

So weird... is it the 8 GB Moto G or the 16 GB one? My Moto G didn't have the issue...