G3 Storage

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I recently bought a G3, and am having storage probs. I am aware that I can reformat the sd card and have it as an extension to the phones storage, but I just can't make it work. After carrying out the format, I can go into the settings and see it as an unused card, but for the life of me I can't find a way of putting anything on it. I plug it into the PC, scroll down and chose "read files" and all I get is a blank screen which as no readable files, and will not allow me to drag anything into it. I have tried this twice, and as a result I have had to factory reset the phone twice.

Any ideas, as my phones storage is running out quickly ?

MatthewSmithh

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
My moto g3 has an 32gb micro sd card inside it and I can use it properly but when I first entered it into my device it said I needed to encrypt my sd for my device because it was 2 slow

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a G3, and am having storage probs. I am aware that I can reformat the sd card and have it as an extension to the phones storage, but I just can't make it work. After carrying out the format, I can go into the settings and see it as an unused card, but for the life of me I can't find a way of putting anything on it. I plug it into the PC, scroll down and chose "read files" and all I get is a blank screen which as no readable files, and will not allow me to drag anything into it. I have tried this twice, and as a result I have had to factory reset the phone twice.

Any ideas, as my phones storage is running out quickly ?

Welcome to Android Central! Can you clarify--did you actually format the card to be internal (adoptable) storage? If so, then the phone itself should manage where apps and other data get stored, since the card has essentially become part of the phone's internal storage.

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you clarify--did you actually format the card to be internal (adoptable) storage? If so, then the phone itself should manage where apps and other data get stored, since the card has essentially become part of the phone's internal storage.

Yes I did format the card as adoptable storage, but the phone will NOT use the card. When I plug the phone into the pc the card is not evident, and when I put files onto the hard drive it just filled it up with no attempt to move anything over to the card

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes I did format the card as adoptable storage, but the phone will NOT use the card. When I plug the phone into the pc the card is not evident, and when I put files onto the hard drive it just filled it up with no attempt to move anything over to the card
It seems sometimes the Moto G doesn't finish the adoption process... look in Settings - Storage, and press the overflow menu (3 dots in the upper right corner), is there a Migrate Data option? That has to occur before the device will use the card as internal storage.

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
It seems sometimes the Moto G doesn't finish the adoption process... look in Settings - Storage, and press the overflow menu (3 dots in the upper right corner), is there a Migrate Data option? That has to occur before the device will use the card as internal storage.

After pressing Settings/Storage there is NO overflow menu, or option to migrate data

paininthenuts

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
After pressing Settings/Storage there is NO overflow menu, or option to migrate data

Right. I have just put in another card, reformatted it as internal storage, migrated the data, but when plugged into the pc only the original storage is evident, and NOT the additional storage from the card. Any ideas ?