Moto G3 sd card automatically ejecting

Joseph Carolan Hall

Feb 5, 2017
Visit site
So I've got a Moto G3 ( I think its 2015, correct me if I'm wrong) (android 6.0.1) and it doesn't have much storage so I've gotten a 32gb SD card to go with it. My problem is that when I go to settings, I can carry photos, music and video onto it.(that's fine) but after several minutes it automatically ejects and I have a notification saying 'ejecting SD card, do not take out' (or something similar to that.) And. I can't stop it. So what I have to do is power my phone on and off again and the same thing happens again, and ejects itself after 2-5 minutes. Could someone please help me with this issue. Thanks 🙂

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You're right, the 3rd gen Moto G is the 2015 version, so I moved this thread to the correct forum.

The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html

If the card seems valid and no errors are detected, then it could be an issue with the phone's SD reader. Use a can of compressed air to blow the slot out, in case there is any debris stuck in there.

When you get a chance, head over to the Introductions forum and tell us something about yourself! Introductions - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Mar 27, 2017
Visit site
I can suggest something as I had same problem and I found a solution to that. The thing is Moto G3 cannot properly handle 'Class 10 or 6' Micro SD cards so I suggest use 'Class 4' instead of it. I'm using the same and dont had any problem like this as I had earlier for my Moto G3.

riggerman

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I can suggest something as I had same problem and I found a solution to that. The thing is Moto G3 cannot properly handle 'Class 10 or 6' Micro SD cards so I suggest use 'Class 4' instead of it. I'm using the same and dont had any problem like this as I had earlier for my Moto G3.
I have to say that is not true. I've been using a SanDisk Ultra class 10 32gb card in my Moto G3 since I got it. That was a year and a half ago. I'd have to agree with B. Diddy, sounds more like a corrupt or counterfeit card.

Mail Dodger

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
It's not the card. I have the same problem with the same phone, 64G class 10 SanDisk. I've checked out the card and it's legit and uncorrupted. I think it's the cheap phone. I'll try the class 4.

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I used to have a really similar problem in my Moto G3. I would very often (sometimes up to every few hours) have the SD Card get unreadable. I'd have to reboot it, unmount, remount, power off/on... sometimes several times. I finally figured out that only a complete wipe and re-format would fix it for any length of time, usually quite a few days, or even weeks.

I've since upgraded to a SanDisk Ultra SL128 (Class 10/UHS-1, man'd Jan 2016). Works a treat. I have had to reformat like above, yes, but only twice in the year or so I've had it.

HTH