Problems with replacing incoming call screen

cal60

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi all , I am using a Moto G4 on android 7.0. I personally find the default android swipe from the centre to answer icon un-intuitive and difficult for answering the phone from the lock screen . I would much rather have an accept / decline button . I have tried a few of the incoming call screen apps which feature accept/decline buttons but am finding that in all cases ( so far) the decline button works but the accept button does not - it is odd that this is applying across multiple apps and suggests that it is something within the OS that is causing the issue . Has anyone else noticed this or found a resolution

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, first off, this area is for the Moto G 2015 or G3 or G 3rd Generation... not 4th Generation, and do not have (and won't be getting) Android 7 at all.

I am not surprised that you have issues replacing the incoming call screen, it is part of the lock screen and that has been "locked down" by Android since Lollipop as being insecure to allow other apps to control processes over the lock screen security. I suspect if you turned off all security (no PIN, Password, fingerprint, swipe, or anything) it would likely work, but then you are totally insecure.

I think for a better answer, you might want to check out the Moto G 4th Gen (2016) areas... Moto G (2016)

cal60

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
@acejavelin. Thanks for your reply and your answer sounds logical . I was hoping that the android freedom to change philosophy would allow such a change. As you suggest I have reposted in the correct forum (sorry - got my years mixed up) and amended the title here

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I merged the duplicate threads.

There might be a screen overlay conflict preventing the Answer button from working correctly. Do you have any screen dimming apps installed? Those kinds of apps can sometimes interfere with onscreen button function.

Also, the main reason why most phones require a swiping motion to answer a call from the lockscreen is to prevent the risk of unintentional call answering or rejection if the phone is in your pocket or a bag.

When you get a chance, head over to the Introductions forum and tell us something about yourself! Introductions

cal60

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy - I wasn't sure whether to repost but couldn't see any other way to post in MotoG4 forum.
No screen dimming apps (other than Moto's adaptive brightness setting). I appreciate the reason for the swipe action - just don't like it.
Funny thing is the reject button always seems to work - it's the answer button that "misbehaves".

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, just to be sure -- that 3rd party call screen doesn't require the Answer button to be swiped as well? Have you tried emailing the developers of any of those call screen apps? They might have some insight into this.

cal60

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
No - the whole point of the button in these apps is to avoid swiping . I did email three of the developers. Responses from two - one promised to look into it - the other said they used to keep a list of all the devices and the success or otherwise of their app but the variety of devices/setups was too large so they stopped keeping such a list.

I've a feeling I'm not going to get a resolution but on the other hand I can't find anyone else who has the same problem ( plenty don't like swiping but have either just acquiesced or found the app worked for them - could have been using an earlier version of android though)

Thanks though for your continued interest.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I wish I could help more. I still get the feeling that this has to do with a screen overlay problem, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it further.:-\

cal60

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
I have reverted temporarily to my previous phone a Sony Xperia running android 4.1 and turns out the incoming cal screen app I was trying to use works on it. Don't know whether it is Sony v Motorola (Lenovo) or android 4.1 v 7.

On a slight aside if wifi,data etc are turned off on the Sony running 4.1 and it really only used for phone calls and SMS I presume it is reasonably safe (from a security point of view) ?