Moto G4 not encrypted by default?!?!?

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I believe Google requires any phone that comes with Marshmallow and has 512mb+ RAM have encryption enabled by default when a user does the first time setup. However, I just setup a G4 fresh out of the box and the phone is not encrypted. Yes, I created a secure pin during setup. Pretty sure this is a big no no with Google.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I believe Google requires any phone that comes with Marshmallow and has 512mb+ RAM have encryption enabled by default when a user does the first time setup. However, I just setup a G4 fresh out of the box and the phone is not encrypted. Yes, I created a secure pin during setup. Pretty sure this is a big no no with Google.
I don't think encryption comes turned on by default. Have you checked through the settings to see if it's an option?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

AFAIK, encryption is still not completely mandatory on new Marshmallow devices.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...-mandatory-device-encryption-for-new-devices/

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Encryption support is required if the devices meets certain criteria, which the G4 does. Encryption must be enabled by default if the device can perform encryption above 50MiB/sec. Perhaps the G4 can't do over 50MiB/sec, guess I should have timed how long it took to encrypt my phone and done the math.