Clearing cache

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
How often should cache be cleared? Got the Moto G4 near the end of March for my mum but she seems to always wanting to clear cache. She's sat here now clearing cache for all her apps. She's doing it one by one but surely clearing cache every month or every few weeks can't be good?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks that was useful. So only need to clear cache if there is a problem with an app or after a system update?
Yeah, that's what I do. Also, you can check from time to time the cached data size (settings - storage), just in case it's getting too big. Depending on your usage, apps heavy on media files or browsers like Chrome could create big cache files. But if your phone is running fine you don't need to worry about cache. And never, ever, use a cleaner app :)

Lucy Davies

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Well I've told my mum so hopefully she won't keep clearing the cache now. We never use cleaner apps either as I no there bad.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
How often should cache be cleared? Got the Moto G4 near the end of March for my mum but she seems to always wanting to clear cache. She's sat here now clearing cache for all her apps. She's doing it one by one but surely clearing cache every month or every few weeks can't be good?

Clearing an app's cache is really only necessary when you're having a problem that app, as that might clear up the problem. But generally there's no real practical reason to continuously wipe app caches. Tell your Mum a) you love her dearly and b) that what she's actually doing is inadvertently making her mobile device work harder than it needs to by constantly wiping those caches -- each time she uses an app it needs its cache to function so by deleting those caches, every time she uses an app it needs to rebuild those deleted cache files.