Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By whatsitsname
  • 1 Post By whatsitsname
  • 1 Post By Connervt
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Differnces between Gobal and US versions

I know almost nothing about smartphones and was about to buy a Moto G as my first. Can anyone explain in detail what will be the differences between the US and the Global versions? I know nothing about these different frequency bands. I live in the US but travel in Europe often and I would like a phone that can perform well in both. I hear that the G will not do LTE. I don't know if this will make it very slow in day-to-day use as I have no experience of using data on a cellphone. HSPA+21 (or whatever it's called) sounds fast enough to me, but does the fact that there are two versions mean that I will not even get 3G speeds in both places? I have been told that 2G is really pretty bad. Motorola's website quotes this for the two GSM versions:

Global GSM model: Compatible with all GSM-based cellular networks. Optimized to work with 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) networks when roaming outside the US. Supported frequencies: GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), UMTS/HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)

US GSM model: Compatible with all GSM-based cellular networks. Optimized to work with 3G (UMTS/HSPA+) networks when operating inside the US. 3G coverage may be limited when roaming outside the US. Supported frequencies: US GSM Model: GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz), UMTS/HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps (850, 1700 (AWS), 1900 MHz)

Is it significant that they only warn of limited 3G coverage on the US version? Does that mean I can just buy the global version and be fine everywhere? I'm baffled.Thanks for any help. Please keep it simple; I'm a newb.

Default Re: Differnces between Gobal and US versions

If you want T-Mobile get the US version.
    If not get the Global version.
    Global version works with AT&T US and most compatible globally. Will also work with T-Mobile 3g+ if you're in a T-Mobile reformed area.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2
    strav22 likes this.

Global Posts
    354 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whatsitsname View Post
    If you want T-Mobile get the US version.
    If not get the Global version.
    Global version works with AT&T US and most compatible globally. Will also work with T-Mobile 3g+ if you're in a T-Mobile reformed area.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2
    What if you plan on being on AT&T but you want the flexibility to move over to T-Mobile sometime down the road and have no use for data overseas? The US version would better fit that bill right?

Quote Originally Posted by clankfu View Post
    What if you plan on being on AT&T but you want the flexibility to move over to T-Mobile sometime down the road and have no use for data overseas? The US version would better fit that bill right?
    That would be correct. The us version covers all the US frequencies.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    strav22 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have been reading that this last year T-Mobile has been "refarming" some of their 1900 MHz spectrum to offer HSPA+. I live in Santa Monica, an area that has supposedly been refarmed. Does this mean I could use the "Global" model and get decent data speeds on T-Mobile after all? I really need a phone I can use in Europe as well.

slamtry

Yes. If your area has been refarmed to 1900 then the Global version would work fine on T-mobile. If you really need 3G support in Europe get the global version. I expect over time more and more tmobile areas will be refarmed to 1900 so this will be lesser issue in the US.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Will the US version work in India? I think India uses 19xx Mhz for Uplink and 21xx Mhz for downlink.
    So I'm guessing not?

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

I'm confused by this Gizmodo review. They are saying the received the 3G version and not the HSPA+ version.

Doesn't the Global and US model each have HSAP+ 21?

ROM
    Reborn & Quattrimus

Because they are idiots (or at least, the author of this review is). HSPA+ *is* 3G, regardless as to what AT&T has tried to tell people.
    In fact, the only place you're going to come anywhere near to the capability of the Moto G on paper is the off-brand wilderness, where the likes of ThL, Mobiltab, and ZOPO can deliver quad-core processors, 8MP cameras, software as recent as Android 4.2, qHD displays (960 x540), expandable memory, and 4G (HSPA+) speeds. That said, do you know much about these companies and the quality of their products? Neither do we. Suffice it to say that the screen and software on the Moto G are unmatched, and we're willing to bet the build-quality is, too.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Does anyone else have any actual, based-on-experience knowledge of using the global version on T-Mobile in a re-farmed area and how the data speed is?

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slamtry View Post
    Does anyone else have any actual, based-on-experience knowledge of using the global version on T-Mobile in a re-farmed area and how the data speed is?
    Every area will be different. Here in Chicago, I was getting 8 down and 1-2 up. Pings were surprisingly in the 50-60s. I'm using the global version.

Posted via Android Central App
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by strav22 View Post
    Every area will be different. Here in Chicago, I was getting 8 down and 1-2 up. Pings were surprisingly in the 50-60s. I'm using the global version.

And that is on T-Mobile, right?
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slamtry View Post
    Would probably be the same as someone using an older AT&T phone on T-Mobile in a refarmed area.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums