Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Moto G: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

    i'm confused as to which one to get. i'm on the tmobile $30 prepaid plan with unlimited data. If i get global GSm version, would i still be able to use my 3g data? If i get the U.S gsm version instead, if i travel outside the U.S, does this mean that prepaid 3g plans on other countries won't work on this phone? i'm confused and need help on which on to get since i want the phone to work with tmobile 3g data while in the U.S but also work when with other data plans in other countries i travel.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-21-2014 at 12:53 PM.
  2. #2  
    strav22's Avatar

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

    Default Re: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

    Quote Originally Posted by jinjin12 View Post
    i'm confused as to which one to get. i'm on the tmobile $30 prepaid plan with unlimited data. If i get global GSm version, would i still be able to use my 3g data? If i get the U.S gsm version instead, if i travel outside the U.S, does this mean that prepaid 3g plans on other countries won't work on this phone? i'm confused and need help on which on to get since i want the phone to work with tmobile 3g data while in the U.S but also work when with other data plans in other countries i travel.
    Please read this post below, should answer all your questions:

    Differnces between Gobal and US versions

    Note: i've used the Global version on Tmobile. I received 3G data because my area has refarmed the 1900 signal.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

    Quote Originally Posted by strav22 View Post
    Please read this post below, should answer all your questions:

    Differnces between Gobal and US versions

    Note: i've used the Global version on Tmobile. I received 3G data because my area has refarmed the 1900 signal.
    How do i know which area has been "refarmed" is all of new york refarmed? Edit: it lists that only NYC is refarmed

    i got another question, lets say i don't care about using Data and accessing the internet. In which case, does it really matter if i get the global GSM or US gsm if i live in the U.S? i would still the the same signal strength just for talking and texting right?
    Last edited by jinjin12; 12-05-2013 at 09:27 PM.
  4. #4  
    strav22's Avatar

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

    Default Re: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

    Quote Originally Posted by jinjin12 View Post
    How do i know which area has been "refarmed" is all of new york refarmed? Edit: it lists that only NYC is refarmed

    i got another question, lets say i don't care about using Data and accessing the internet. In which case, does it really matter if i get the global GSM or US gsm if i live in the U.S? i would still the the same signal strength just for talking and texting right?
    This is the latest post from Tmobile with official refarming. I have no other info other than my own experience in Chicago.



    In regards to your second question, I'm not 100%, I'm not a network expert, just a phone geek. This is what I found in my research:

    1. T-Mobile's GSM network operates in 850 MHz and 1900 MHz frequencies.

    2. Both Moto G Models Support these frequencies.
    Global GSM Model: GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    US GSM Model: GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

    Research:




    So, based on my research, if data doesn't matter, global and US version will work.

    But I'm not an expert.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

    I am in a similar position. I want the global version of this phone as I travel to Europe and would use it there but I want it to to get decent speed here on my T-mobile $30/5gig plan. I am in Los Angeles, which I know is a re-farmed area and so ought to offer 3G speeds on the global version of the phone. However, I would like more anecdotal evidence before I pull the trigger. Does anyone else have any experience?
  6. #6  
    t1234's Avatar

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

    Default Re: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

    Global model supports 900 and 2100 MHz frequencies standard to Europe and Asia. The con is you will only get 3G/4G in markets where 1900 MHz has modernized their towers which is most major markets. Their original 3G/4G network used 1700-2100 MHz frequency which is being reframed for LTE.
  7. #7  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,179 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

    Default Re: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

    You'll be fine as long as you're in a re-farmed 1900 MHz area for T-Mobile.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  8. #8  

    Default Re: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

    Maybe this can help you pinpoint your area...
  9. #9  

    Default Re: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

    I myself purchased the us gsm version if I say take it to India will the phone work?

    Posted via Android Central App
  10. #10  
    t1234's Avatar

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

    Default Re: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

    My us model works like a charm is asia - taiwan , HK n Bkk. The free international data on TMO connects for skype, whatsapp, Line, emails.
  11. #11  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,179 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

    Default Re: global GSM vs US GSM version on tmobile

    Quote Originally Posted by AniKhan View Post
    I myself purchased the us gsm version if I say take it to India will the phone work?

    Posted via Android Central App
    What frequencies are used there?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Similar Threads

  1. Moving on (sort of)
    By TBolt in forum Verizon HTC Rezound
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-13-2013, 10:59 PM
  2. Buffed Out Scratches On Screen!
    By Greg C in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 04:53 AM
  3. DId they do away with "Inverted Screen Rendering" on 4.2.2?
    By Ed_Strong in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 07:06 PM
  4. Kit Kat update on ATT
    By mojofusion in forum Moto X
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 11:09 AM
  5. Help on side loading OTA
    By craigrn16 in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Posting Permissions

B