Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Default Just how much money does Motorola make off the super-cheap Moto G? via PocketNow)

Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Thanked by:
    ds43 
    ds43 likes this.

Default Re: Just how much money does Motorola make off the super-cheap Moto G? via PocketNow)

Also, there would be the additional purchases of shell covers that have much better margins.

For Motorola, a small magin on the Moto G is an excellent way to break into new markets and reintroduce into others like UK where the brand was well known a few years ago but has certainly some work to do to climb the rankings now. As brand awareness increases and confidence builds about reliability, battery life, performance and real world value the range can increase to include models with more improved margin. Having said that, Motorola have a good niche with Moto G performance/ value and it would be great if that was rolled out on new models, causing some embarrasment for the market leaders and shaking things up a bit.

I would be interested to see cost breakdown of Moto X.

ROM
    Reborn & Quattrimus

Default Re: Just how much money does Motorola make off the super-cheap Moto G? via PocketNow)

Motorola/Google can afford to make a smaller profit margin. Their goal is more likely to add first time users to the Android smartphone market. What isn't earned in hardware sales is made up by Google ads, Play Store purchases, etc.

Virtually no one on this site is a first time Android user. But much of the world (and a good part of the USA) still use dumb phones (or non-Android smartphones).

Quote Originally Posted by Connervt View Post
    Motorola/Google can afford to make a smaller profit margin. Their goal is more likely to add first time users to the Android smartphone market. What isn't earned in hardware sales is made up by Google ads, Play Store purchases, etc.

Virtually no one on this site is a first time Android user. But much of the world (and a good part of the USA) still use dumb phones (or non-Android smartphones).
    Yes I agree. I am a first time Android user and was impressed by the specification/ performance vs value, so it won me over from Blackberry, although I do miss a proper keyboard and integrated emoticons.

Price point (I got it for 99) made me get it as a secondary / spare phone.

Replaced a desire C which was awful to use took 2 mins just to call some one (yes a phone is used for that sometimes)

My primary is a note 3

screen is amazing
    Battery life is good
    I have all my widgets and apps installed and runs perfectly

Will use for nights out and media streamer in the car

Just looking at best ways to sync data between phones and a pity whatsapp is locked to one device

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David_LFC View Post
    Price point (I got it for 99) made me get it as a secondary / spare phone.

Just looking at best ways to sync data between phones and a pity whatsapp is locked to one device

That's always bothered me about WhatsApp, especially since Viber doesn't have the same restriction. Bad for us phone switchers.