Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Keith Ross1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry Moto G dead after a few days :(

Hi folks,
    I bought a Moto G for my wife off Amazon recently and she'd only had the phone a few days and this morning she unplugged it from the charger and it was dead - no way of powering it up. This is quite disappointing as it was stacking up to be quite a nice little phone.
    Anyone else had any issues?

cheers
    Baronne

Global Posts
    17,399 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Moto G dead after a few days :(

Quote Originally Posted by Baronne Mouton View Post
    Hi folks,
    I bought a Moto G for my wife off Amazon recently and she'd only had the phone a few days and this morning she unplugged it from the charger and it was dead - no way of powering it up. This is quite disappointing as it was stacking up to be quite a nice little phone.
    Anyone else had any issues?

cheers
    Baronne
    Welcome to the forums. Have you contacted Motorola yet?

From a Sprint Moto X using the AC Forums app.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Cool Re: Moto G dead after a few days :(

Will it boot up when charger re connected?

No issues at all apart from the odd launcher crash that has been discussed in other threads, if it were a design problem then far more people would have posting about it by now...you must have just got a bad phone ?
    From my experience Amazon are really good with dealing with faulty items...and really quick.

Can you do the Volume Down + Power Button combination?

Was she using a Motorola power device?

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts

try using different charger..and let the phone sit for about 10 minutes then try to turn it on. My Moto G, battery completely died. I plugged it into the charger and nothing happened. I tried several outlets and it still wouldn't charge. i then tried a different charger and it worked

Current Device:
    16GB Moto G

I have tried several chargers, but I didn't have one to provide 2A, just 1A at maximum, and mine didn't wake up. So googling I found a hint to put the device in the freezer and it started to charge. I tried couple of times putting the phone for 3 minutes to "freeze" and wasn't working, so I increase the time, letting 6 and then 8 minutes and voil, I got the charging screen.

I put the device over a towel when in the freezer, and after removing from there I cover all the device to decrease condensation.

It seems very weird, but I found several occurences on web telling to to this with dead notebook batteries, but putting the entire device on freezer seems to be more risky.
    Thanked by:

This just happened to my Moto g. I've only had the phone for 7 days and i left it charging lastnight and it won't boot up. I've tried different chargers and i've even tried to do a factory reboot. nothing... Did you just send your phone back?

First of all do not place it in the freezer or any such ideas that might cause thermal runaway in batteries.
    What you need to do is in future use the USB cable that is provided and use that and not a charger. There is a reason this phone does not come with a charger, the type of battery it uses cannot handle large voltage. The reason is its a lithium ion battery in constrast with what you get in an iphone (lipo).

Now that you have used the charger, put it back in that charger and press vol down and power down for 5 secs and then let do, so that it boots into recovery. Once there, let it stay in recovery mode and let it charge. Then move to usb cable after 5 mins. Let it charge for next 5 hours. Then reboot.

Large Voltage Shmotog? Wallcharger's for mobile devices offer the same voltage as charging via PC/USB - 5V. It's the Amperage that can differ.

And my personal experience using a non Moto wall charger (I uses a Blackberry 0.75A charger) from day 1 of owning two phones (so 6 months) is that it has no problems at all, doesn't have difficulty charging if deep discharged and because I never charge from PC I've never suffered that disconcerting fake sudden battery drop bug. Personally if my device was showing the issues described here I'd be hiking it back for a warranty replacement.

Hi. My Moto G "died" the other day as well. I googled for help and found that if you hold Volume down and power button for over 2 minutes it should boot on release of the buttons. IT WORKED! Hope this helps. Man was I relieved... Love my Moto G 😉
    Thanked by:
    shmotog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Ross1 View Post
    Hi. My Moto G "died" the other day as well. I googled for help and found that if you hold Volume down and power button for over 2 minutes it should boot on release of the buttons. IT WORKED! Hope this helps. Man was I relieved... Love my Moto G
    yeah thats what i said as well. you see the reason it works is simple, you boot into recovery and it doesnt process anything. if you boot normally it has to fire up the screen do the animation make the cpu run and well .thats why it wont start.

My Moto G was dead and did not wake up even after connecting it the charger for an hour. The battery still had charge when it had died. I connected it to the charger and held down Power + Volume Down for 2 minutes and it got into recovery mode and then booted normally the next time. Thanks!