Help - how to sideload
As a newbie to android, I'm learning something new every day. Today discovered the term "sideloading" and I wonder if someone can post a simple FAQ on this. From what I understand,
1. in settings have to allow installation of apps from unknown sources, Check!
2. how do i download apk directly to Moto G? I have downloaded a few apps, eg ES File Explorer and File Manager.
3. also have android file transfer app installed on my MacBook....is it as easy as dragging apk from macbook to download folder, then open File Manager in Moto X?
Slightly OT - also found an app: µTorrent. Can I somehow use this app to directly download apk?
Sorry for what might be silly question - coming from Apple iTunes and iOS, it was simple
I'm kinda of stuck now....thanks!
Last edited by t1234; 12-23-2013 at 02:09 PM.
- 12-23-2013, 02:50 PM #2
Re: Help - how to sideload
.apk's can be found on sites other than the Google Play Store. You can either download from your phone with whatever browser you like. Usually, the .apk's are saved in the download file, which you can find in ES File Explorer. Then, tap the icon of the .apk, and it should install.
3. Not sure about question 3 as I don't use a Mac in conjunction with my Android. There are several ways. Airdroid is an easy web based way to transfer files from computer to phone and vice versa. Download the airdroid app from the Google Play Store. You'll have to create an Airdroid account. Then, go to web.airdroid.com on your browser. You'll have to login. Then, you should be able to wireless transfer files back and forth. There's also another way with ES File Explorer, too, but Airdroid may be easier.
- By Joey_jamal in forum AT&T & Rogers One X Rooting, ROMs and HacksReplies: 1Last Post: 12-29-2013, 09:29 PM
- By Tyler Myers1 in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G TouchReplies: 2Last Post: 12-23-2013, 10:42 PM
- By barth2 in forum General News & DiscussionReplies: 6Last Post: 12-23-2013, 08:02 PM
- By RetNavy in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 1Last Post: 12-23-2013, 02:57 PM