1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Moto G camera

I find the Moto G camera performs well in dull light and produces decent close-ups shots. However I'm less sure about its ability to take outdoor landscape shots. I've tried a couple of different apps with different settings but they don't seem to make much of a difference.

See attached some examples. The lighting on the landscapes was poor when I took the photos so I expect them to be dull, but the colours look a bit odd and there are issues with sharpness. It's odd because it seems far better when taking indoor shots. The photo of my watch is near-perfect - that was taken outside when it was sunny.

Can anyone recommend an app which could solve the slightly blotchy colours on landscapes and/or enhance the sharpness while taking the photo? I'm guessing it may also be something to do with saturation. I want to avoid having to enhance photos after taking them, preferably. I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with the camera on my phone as it can take good shots (the watch shot being an example). I previously had an HTC Desire X phone and the camera was very similar to the Moto G's, but it didn't have the slightly blotchy colours on landscapes.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto G camera-20131224100751487.jpg   Moto G camera-20131224095923006.jpg   Moto G camera-2013-12-20-12.12.38.jpg  

Default Re: Moto G camera

man it look awesome... is the camera in play store like Moto X?
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

here a pic of my sis dog! his name is Bud XD
    no HDR, macro with flash!

sent from my Moto G <3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto G camera-uploadfromtaptalk1387934762081.jpg  

Is it any better after kitkat upgrade?

The biggest annoyance I have with it is the lack of touch to focus. I really miss that!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smartiekins View Post
    The biggest annoyance I have with it is the lack of touch to focus. I really miss that!

Have you tried third party camera apps like CameraZoom?

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

@dw1987 - As you mentioned, one of the problems with your landscape shots is the high amount of contrast between the sky and the landscape itself. Any camera, from a D-SLR to your smartphone, is going to struggle to find the right exposure in that situation.

I have the Nexus 5, and at Christmas time purchased two Moto G phone for my wife and son. Its night time Central Texas, but sometime in the next few days I'll try to take a landscape shot with both the Nexus 5 and one of the Moto G's to see how they compare.

In the meantime, you might consider doing some simple edits with the built-in photo editor. I tweaked the exposure, saturation, and sharpness on the images you shared and will attach them here. I tried not to go too far tweaking the exposure because bringing up the foreground exposure in the simple editor would "blow out" all the sky detail. An overcast sky that has some really bright areas is much more challenging to the camera's sensor than a nice blue sky which can be almost neutral on the grey scale.

By the way, you should consider removing geotagged info from your images to protect your privacy. Tillwicks Rd in Harlow looks nice enough, but you don't want to encourage a flood of tourism
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto G camera-img_20131231_185959.jpg   Moto G camera-img_20131231_185907.jpg  

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smartiekins View Post

I've never used the camera but I believe there's an option for this in the settings?
    Putting out fire with gasoline

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Attached you can see the setting that enables focus & exposure lock. Another screenshot shows the default focus position & in the last image I dragged the focus point to the upper-right with my finger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moto G camera-screenshot_2013-12-31-20-57-45.jpg   Moto G camera-screenshot_2013-12-31-20-58-18.jpg   Moto G camera-screenshot_2013-12-31-20-58-27.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
    @dw1987 - As you mentioned, one of the problems with your landscape shots is the high amount of contrast between the sky and the landscape itself. Any camera, from a D-SLR to your smartphone, is going to struggle to find the right exposure in that situation.

I have the Nexus 5, and at Christmas time purchased two Moto G phone for my wife and son. Its night time Central Texas, but sometime in the next few days I'll try to take a landscape shot with both the Nexus 5 and one of the Moto G's to see how they compare.

In the meantime, you might consider doing some simple edits with the built-in photo editor. I tweaked the exposure, saturation, and sharpness on the images you shared and will attach them here. I tried not to go too far tweaking the exposure because bringing up the foreground exposure in the simple editor would "blow out" all the sky detail. An overcast sky that has some really bright areas is much more challenging to the camera's sensor than a nice blue sky which can be almost neutral on the grey scale.

By the way, you should consider removing geotagged info from your images to protect your privacy. Tillwicks Rd in Harlow looks nice enough, but you don't want to encourage a flood of tourism
    What if I wanna visit him and have a drink lol HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

In the meantime, you might consider doing some simple edits with the built-in photo editor.
    Thanks - your tweaks have done a good job to the photos. I've since tried taking some photos in better light and they're nicer - I suppose it was a bit unfair of me to test it in such poor lighting conditions (it really was a bleak winter day!) but I wondered how it'd cope.

This might sound silly, but how do I access the built-in photo editor? Is it accessible from the camera app?

Haha, I like the fact that someone from Texas is talking about a street in Harlow! I don't live there though - I was just taking the photo as part of my work. I didn't realise the geotagging info would be preserved when uploading it to a forum.

I don't want to steal the thread but has anyone tried to scan a barcode and did it scan properly?

Cool Re: Moto G camera

Quote> I don't want to steal the thread but has anyone tried to scan a bar-code and did it scan properly? <end quote

Well you did manage to steal the thread and no I don't know the answer to what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoClive View Post
    Quote> I don't want to steal the thread but has anyone tried to scan a bar-code and did it scan properly? <end quote

Well you did manage to steal the thread and no I don't know the answer to what you want.
    Thank you