Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sizzers
  • 1 Post By Nicole Summers
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SIM not recognised on Moto G

So I've had my Moto G for a couple of weeks now and every now and then the phone would say that there is no SIM card in the device and I would just have to pull it out and put it back in to resolve it. But this isn't working at all now and the card appears to be completely unrecognisable.

Has anyone had any experience like this/knows what I can do to resolve it? Its such a pain in the arse as the Moto G is such a good little phone but I can't use it to its full capabilities!

For the record I'm on Virgin Mobile UK using a nano SIM card with an adapter to make it a micro SIM.

Cheers

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: SIM not recognised on Moto G

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchyjam View Post
    So I've had my Moto G for a couple of weeks now and every now and then the phone would say that there is no SIM card in the device and I would just have to pull it out and put it back in to resolve it. But this isn't working at all now and the card appears to be completely unrecognisable.

Has anyone had any experience like this/knows what I can do to resolve it? Its such a pain in the arse as the Moto G is such a good little phone but I can't use it to its full capabilities!

For the record I'm on Virgin Mobile UK using a nano SIM card with an adapter to make it a micro SIM.

Cheers

Its not uncommon for SIMs to give out. After a few rewrites they tend to die. Changing phones can accelerate this. I would suggest giving another SIM a try. The G in general is a great phone.

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

And I wouldn't use any kind of SIM adaptor.

Some people may swear by them, but they can damage the connecting pins inside the phone and they can also jam. Always get your network provider to send you the appropriate sized SIM card: better safe than sorry and usually takes 2-3 days.

Putting out fire with gasoline
    petaf likes this.
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,289 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzers View Post

Some people may swear by them, but they can damage the connecting pins inside the phone and they can also jam. Always get your network provider to send you the appropriate sized SIM card: better safe than sorry and usually takes 2-3 days.
    This is probably generally good advice, but if someone swaps between a couple different phones with different SIM card sizes, it's not practical. If you're careful, adapters usually work pretty well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the advice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzers View Post

Yeah I worried about that myself, actually. It does say on the Motorola website that you shouldn't use one with it, but Virgin didn't send me a Micro SIM (only Nano SIM with Micro SIM adapter) and when I asked specifically for a Micro SIM they sent me the same thing again, so I wasn't really sure if they actually make Micro SIM cards. Do you know if they do?

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I've just rang Virgin and they say they don't manufacture Micro SIM cards anymore. Is there any way of getting round this or do I just need to drop them and use another provider?

tgp

Global Posts
    2,289 Global Posts

I've just rang Virgin and they say they don't manufacture Micro SIM cards anymore. Is there any way of getting round this or do I just need to drop them and use another provider?
    No, you need to use the nano SIM with adapter that they sent you. Just use caution, don't force anything, and you will be fine!
    I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 520, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me? (I really should edit my signature sometime. I have only 1 of these 3 phones anymore, and even that one is mostly unused because it's been superseded by its big brother!)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by tgp View Post
    No, you need to use the nano SIM with adapter that they sent you. Just use caution, don't force anything, and you will be fine!
    Yeah I do use it and its still not working. I click it out and back in again and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work. On the off chance that it is recognised it just stops working after about half an hour.

Are you with Virgin on the Moto G?

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

It may or may not be the adaptor, but for reasons explained I personally dislike them.

I cannot believe that Virgin do not provide a micro SIM. I've got micro SIMs from o2, Tesco Mobile, T Mobile, Vodafone and Three over the past few months with no problem at all. On a side note, went out to pick up a G myself today and can't get the effing back off!!! *GRRR*
    Putting out fire with gasoline
    tgp

Global Posts
    2,289 Global Posts

Yeah I do use it and its still not working. I click it out and back in again and 9 times out of 10 it doesn't work. On the off chance that it is recognised it just stops working after about half an hour.
    Oh sorry, I missed the assumption that you were using it. I thought you were leery of using the adapter and therefore you didn't. I guess I don't have an answer for you , except maybe try a different adapter? Noosy makes a good one with a lining on the back of the SIM card. I believe nano SIMs are thinner. Maybe your adapter isn't holding the SIM card tight enough against the contacts. A Noosy adapter or another brand with a back on it might help.

Are you with Virgin on the Moto G?
    No, I live in the US. And I don't have a Moto G.

I have a moto g and am on Virgin Mobile in the UK. I use a nano sim with the adaptor and so far (touch wood) I haven't had any problems.

You say you ordered a second one, perhaps try that sim and adaptor, maybe you just for unlucky with a faulty first one?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Are by chance using the replacement flip cover?

Mine started doing what you are describing. I did not connect the two until I took the flip cover off for an unrelated reason. After that, the issue quit happening.

Jerry

Are there many issues with the Moto G?
    Last edited by Paulo Goncalves; 02-05-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Scratchyjam
    I'm just experiencing exactly the same problem: Moto G with Virgin UK nano SIM in micro adapter. Now doesn't read SIM.
    Did you resolve this issue? Have you had any help from Motorola?

Rocknocker,

The Moto G does not support adapters of any kind and it might actually damage the SIM card slot if you use one. Virgin has this policy that they don't provide any micro SIM cards anymore and they send out adapters. That can break your SIM slot! Hopefully it's not that - have someone in a shop check on the phone. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
    Nicole
    paulw3 likes this.

When I ordered the Moto G I downloaded the UK User Guide pdf, and it says nothing about not using a SIM adapter. Anyway, full marks to Motorolla after sales. After 2 phone calls (quickly answered) and a couple of Emails, they arranged for the phone to be fixed free of charge under warranty. It was back in 5 days (the SIM slot repaired/replaced). As for Virgin, they have now supplied a sort-of proper micro SIM (a micro SIM, but with pre-scored cut so the nano portion can be popped out). All working again now.

Try using a Sim card from another carrier just to check the sim slot is not broken
    If it works then we know its because of the adapter they gave you

How long is the warranty

how long is the warranty is it all completely free