Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MrMoto1992
  • 1 Post By Harvinder Sunila
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Have you updated from Jellybean to KitKat ?

Some people around the world have had their KitKat update for their Moto G, in the UK we haven't had anything yet.
    For those who have updated to 4.4, what are the differences you've seen on your phone ?...it's supposed to be faster, where have you experienced this speed change ?...what has changed that you don't like ?
    I'm asking because my Jellybean Moto G is already very quick and responsive, and I'm struggling to understand exactly where the phone is going to be faster.
    Enlighten me KitKat Moto G owners...is it actually any quicker in use or is it just psychological because it says 4.4 instead of 4.3 ?

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Default Re: Have you updated from Jellybean to KitKat ?

You'll find comparisons here
    Putting out fire with gasoline
    Thanked by 2:

I've actually found my moto g to be a bit choppy compared to 4.3, but I like the way 4.4 looks a lot better, so I'm going to stick with it. I'm hoping they release an optimization patch sometime in the future.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    Harvinder Sunila likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvinder Sunila View Post
    Some people around the world have had their KitKat update for their Moto G, in the UK we haven't had anything yet.
    For those who have updated to 4.4, what are the differences you've seen on your phone ?...it's supposed to be faster, where have you experienced this speed change ?...what has changed that you don't like ?
    I'm asking because my Jellybean Moto G is already very quick and responsive, and I'm struggling to understand exactly where the phone is going to be faster.
    Enlighten me KitKat Moto G owners...is it actually any quicker in use or is it just psychological because it says 4.4 instead of 4.3 ?
    here is why kitkat is awesome

Android 4.4 is designed to run fast, smooth, and responsively on a much broader range of devices than ever before — including on millions of entry-level devices around the world that have as little as 512MB RAM.

KitKat streamlines every major component to reduce memory use and introduces new APIs and tools to help you create innovative, responsive, memory-efficient applications.

In Android itself, changes across the system improve memory management and reduce memory footprint. Core system processes are trimmed to use less heap, and they now more aggressively protect system memory from apps consuming large amounts of RAM. When multiple services start at once — such as when network connectivity changes — Android now launches the services serially, in small groups, to avoid peak memory demands.
    more on above link
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the replies Sizzers, MrFluffbear and still1, I've read the marketing hype but what I want is actual hands on details as MrFluffbear pointed out .The xda forum had some intersting information from users like "There have been some aesthetic changes that have been appreciated, but I don't notice things like increases in the battery life or in the smoothness of the overall operation of the phone that some have been reporting. Personally I found that they were both pretty good to begin with. Better memory use hasn't been evident (eg., multiple browser tabs still often need reloading)"
    " a few minor things that *I* appreciated: Full screen usability (wish it translated over to Chrome browsing), Hangouts messaging integration, Better photo editing, world clock display"
    "Not much of a difference for me. If i didnt do the update to 4.4.2 myself I propably wouldnt even notice was using a new version."
    One person did say "I have to say that I am blown away by how fast the phone is under kitkat. It's like having a new phone." but didn't say in what way it was faster...I've compared my Jellybean Moto G side by side with the Nexus 5, apart from image heavy websites, everyday use speeds (app drawers swiping, opening apps etc) are almost identical.
    I'd really like to hear from more Moto G owners who have updated...personally I'm starting to think "If i didnt do the update to 4.4.2 myself I propably wouldnt even notice was using a new version." may be the answer.
    ds43 likes this.