Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By f2k8
  • 1 Post By Jay Sacks
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Default Battery problem after 3 days?

I own a Moto G 8GB and the first two days were fine, the battery lasted so long, I was amazed. But now, 10% of my battery will go in under an hour when the phone screen is off? At first, it was the media server problem, but I factory reset my phone and it no longer says media server when I click on the battery icon, but when I had factory reset I stored all my apps back in. Is there something I'm doing wrong? The best thing about the phone (to me) was the battery, I needed a long lasting battery and now I have no idea what to do.

I've fully charged the phone, and let it fully die out to 0%, and fully charged again, but the same thing happens, 32 minutes gone with the screen off and all background apps off, and 6$ down? It says the screen has taken 75% of the battery but I have left the phone in front of me the whole time and the screen didn't turn on once? Also, I have a feeling media server is still running and taking up the juice, I have many of the popular apps, anyone know what's up with it and what my options are? Thanks.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Default Re: Battery problem after 3 days?

Quote Originally Posted by f2k8 View Post
    I own a Moto G 8GB and the first two days were fine, the battery lasted so long, I was amazed. But now, 10% of my battery will go in under an hour when the phone screen is off? At first, it was the media server problem, but I factory reset my phone and it no longer says media server when I click on the battery icon, but when I had factory reset I stored all my apps back in. Is there something I'm doing wrong? The best thing about the phone (to me) was the battery, I needed a long lasting battery and now I have no idea what to do.

I've fully charged the phone, and let it fully die out to 0%, and fully charged again, but the same thing happens, 32 minutes gone with the screen off and all background apps off, and 6$ down? It says the screen has taken 75% of the battery but I have left the phone in front of me the whole time and the screen didn't turn on once? Also, I have a feeling media server is still running and taking up the juice, I have many of the popular apps, anyone know what's up with it and what my options are? Thanks.
    First of all I would recommend downloading an app that will tell you what exactly is taking up the battery.
    Secondly, if you can't trace back the issue, I would say take the slow process of downloading each app separately, wait with it for a day, and see if it's causing the issue. Eventually you will get to the cause.
    Proud LG G2 Owner!
    Thanked by:
    f2k8 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Foramex View Post
    First of all I would recommend downloading an app that will tell you what exactly is taking up the battery.
    Secondly, if you can't trace back the issue, I would say take the slow process of downloading each app separately, wait with it for a day, and see if it's causing the issue. Eventually you will get to the cause.
    I'm thinking of doing this, just seems like a daunting task though, and if it doesn't work, that's around 2 weeks gone to waste haha, I may send it back but I hope I don't have to.

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

I'm thinking of doing this, just seems like a daunting task though, and if it doesn't work, that's around 2 weeks gone to waste haha, I may send it back but I hope I don't have to.
    My biggest recommendation would be resetting the phone WITHOUT re-downloading any app. Then you can truly see if the problem is caused by the app or if the problem is with your phone. So try to reset your phone without downloading any app, and see if the problem persists.
    Proud LG G2 Owner!

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Do you use Google Now, Plus, or Hangouts?
    Putting out fire with gasoline

...or Skype? Skype seems to cause a wakelock on an app that counts towards the media server app.

Cheers,
    Nicole
    Thanked by:
    f2k8 

It's indeed one of the apps above.
    Or Snapchat does have the problem aswell.

Only solution is to uninstall it...
    Or use the media server killer app:

(Root needed)
    Thanked by:
    f2k8 
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Just an update on this, so after resetting my phone and dowloading all my apps again, I haven't seen Media Server at all in the battery analysis and my battery seems to be doing okay now.
    As for Skype, I haven't logged in to it yet, I just have it installed, so I'll see if that drains any battery. Oh, and I don't use Google+ and Hangouts but I do use Google Now. No snapchat/facebook too, I do use Instagram, Twitter and Whatsapp however.

If the problem comes back, I'll update this thread, but for now, something seems to be making it work.

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Good to hear.

I mentioned Google Now as it's a known battery hog so if the problem does come back I would try disabling it first rather than going through the pain of another reset!
    Putting out fire with gasoline
    Thanked by:
    f2k8 

As mentioned above, install a good battery monitor app. is a good choice. You'll get more detailed breakdowns of what's using battery. How's your cell signal? Poor signal can eat up battery as well.
    Thanked by:
    f2k8 
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. So far, it's going well. I use Instagram, Twitter, Ebay, Feedly and Flow(reddit) alot, and everything seems to run okay and not eat the battery too much, I just have to make sure I close Instagram through the running apps menu, it tends to eat alot of battery/data. But as mentioned above, ever since the factory reset, I have still not seen 'Media Server' running in the stock battery app analyse screen, it's strange because that was always at the top before the factory reset. I'll give GSam a go as B. Diddy mentioned, but I truly appreciate all the help for now.
    B. Diddy likes this.

I've installed Task manager which is supposed to kill any apps left running so maybe you could try this?

Be careful, you can destroy your new lithium- ion battery by letting it fully discharge. There is much to read about maintaining these batteries and that is the biggest no-no.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk
    bigdaddytee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Caz42 View Post
    I've installed Task manager which is supposed to kill any apps left running so maybe you could try this?
    Welcome to Android Central! Task killers actually won't help much, and in fact can contribute to battery drain, because the apps that are killed will often reopen, all of which takes battery.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:

@ B. Diddy How else can you kill apps before locking your phone then? With my last phone (samsung) when you pressed 'back' while in an app then it would automatically close the app for you but with the Moto, I've noticed that even if you keep pressing back (rather than just going directly to your home screen) the apps still remain open and running. I have no idea why this is the case but without Task Manager I can't get Apps to close?
    Last edited by Caz42; 01-13-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: .

People who are new to Android (and have been used to Windows or Mac OS) generally need to shift their thinking a bit in regards to opening and closing apps. Jerry Hildenbrand explains things well in this article: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    People who are new to Android (and have been used to Windows or Mac OS) generally need to shift their thinking a bit in regards to opening and closing apps. Jerry Hildenbrand explains things well in this article: RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central
    I've never used a windows phone, only ever had Android samsung phones.

Thanks for the article, I've read it but it has confused me. Is it saying that I should just leave apps running and never close them?

I meant the Windows OS on a PC, not Windows Phone. What the article is saying is that you should let Android decide automatically when an app should be closed and removed from system RAM. If you constantly try to close apps, they or other apps will simply keep opening up, because Android wants to keep RAM relatively full, so that apps open and switch more quickly and efficiently. The main reason to close an app is if you suspect it's malfunctioning and causing abnormal system slowdown or freezes.
    Thanked by:
    Caz42