Is the Moto G worth it vs used iPhone 4S?

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello there so i belong to a 3rd world country here we only have 2g gsm (3g coming soon) and i am into buying my first smartphone,as my budget only allows me to buy moto g.iphone 4s (used auto gevey) or a low end lumia..I am not really sure if the moto g is worth buying compared to 4s,ok 4s is 3 years old and the biggest catch with it is,it has most probably only 1 year of life remaining in it,but it is by no means less than Moto g in functionality and capability,extremely capable phone with a camera much better than moto g...but it is sort of oddity aswell buying a 3 year old smartphone,So kindly help me that which one should i buy by telling your Honest and rational opinions,Thank you

P.s no carrier locked phones available here,also i am not a heavy gamer,i sms a lot and use facebook and i am fond of using productivity/utility apps...

sometimes i just think of getting a dirt cheap lumia? have your say at all of it please

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is the moto G worth it vs iphone 4s (used)

Hello there so i belong to a 3rd world country here we only have 2g gsm (3g coming soon) and i am into buying my first smartphone,as my budget only allows me to buy moto g.iphone 4s (used auto gevey) or a low end lumia..I am not really sure if the moto g is worth buying compared to 4s,ok 4s is 3 years old and the biggest catch with it is,it has most probably only 1 year of life remaining in it,but it is by no means less than Moto g in functionality and capability,extremely capable phone with a camera much better than moto g...but it is sort of oddity aswell buying a 3 year old smartphone,So kindly help me that which one should i buy by telling your Honest and rational opinions,Thank you

P.s no carrier locked phones available here,also i am not a heavy gamer,i sms a lot and use facebook and i am fond of using productivity/utility apps...

sometimes i just think of getting a dirt cheap lumia? have your say at all of it please
iphone 4s dont have 1 year life left on it.. its very laggy with iOS7. Trust me I have used it when apple released it to developers few months ago.. with next version it will be impossible to use. Moto g even beats iPhone 5s on speed and functionality. the only problem could could be the camera but that can be fixed with camera update..

if you are planning to buy a 5s i would agree but 4s????you can buy it and throw it in garbage...

watch this Moto G Announcement Event - YouTube

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

A Moto G would 100% be a better buy than a used iPhone 4s. I would rather use a Moto G than my iPhone 5c.

omega1300

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site

Hi Kas - I believe I saw your similar post over on Mac forums. Smart to post both places and get all available opinions. Of course, both will likely sway toward their preference - unbiased opinions can be difficult to find.

I had an iPhone 4S, then a galaxy note 3, now a moto x. IMO the iPhone was not at all lagged with iOS 7. I thought it ran great, & had some good features. The camera was superior to my moto x now, and I miss that.

I have not use the Moto G, but from what I understand, it's supposed to be a very good phone for the money. It doesn't have all the features of the Moto X, but it should run smoothly for the foreseeable future.

Are photos or photo quality important to you? This would be something to keep in mind.

Another consideration would be price. How does the Moto G compared to the current price of the 4s? Are the savings or additional expenditures worth the price?

Finally, it'll come down to which operating system you prefer.

I thought my iPhones were great, but now having been on Android for a while, I think it's pretty great too. I love having the app drawer & the ability to change things that I want to. It seems like a pretty solid platform, and Motorola has been giving quick updates.

I think you'd be pretty happy either way, though the 4s will likely miss some future features of the next OS.

Posted via Android Central App

HoffmanMobile

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is the Moto G worth it vs iPhone 4s (used)

A Lumia won't be a bad phone and you can get one very cheap now a days. Based on how you use your phone, a Lumia or a MotoG will do, I would prefer the moto G because of a superior screen, processor, and IMO operating system. If you need a good camera, you may want to get the iPhone. Otherwise, the moto G sounds like a great fit.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

I gave my partner a Moto G for Christmas and it is an outstanding value. The screen is very bright and readable. The phone is loud and clear. And the flip case you can get from Motorola is outstanding. Close case, screen off. Open case, screen comes on. Very handy and it protects the screen too. The camera is a weak point, but it's not so bad that it's unusable. It works okay. If you can live with 16gb storage (don't get the 8, 8 isn't enough room) then it's totally worth it.

Kashan Osama

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site

iphone 4s dont have 1 year life left on it.. its very laggy with iOS7. Trust me I have used it when apple released it to developers few months ago.. with next version it will be impossible to use. Moto g even beats iPhone 5s on speed and functionality. the only problem could could be the camera but that can be fixed with camera update..

if you are planning to buy a 5s i would agree but 4s????you can buy it and throw it in garbage...

watch this Moto G Announcement Event - YouTube

A Moto G would 100% be a better buy than a used iPhone 4s. I would rather use a Moto G than my iPhone 5c.

Hi Kas - I believe I saw your similar post over on Mac forums. Smart to post both places and get all available opinions. Of course, both will likely sway toward their preference - unbiased opinions can be difficult to find.

I had an iPhone 4S, then a galaxy note 3, now a moto x. IMO the iPhone was not at all lagged with iOS 7. I thought it ran great, & had some good features. The camera was superior to my moto x now, and I miss that.

I have not use the Moto G, but from what I understand, it's supposed to be a very good phone for the money. It doesn't have all the features of the Moto X, but it should run smoothly for the foreseeable future.

Are photos or photo quality important to you? This would be something to keep in mind.

Another consideration would be price. How does the Moto G compared to the current price of the 4s? Are the savings or additional expenditures worth the price?

Finally, it'll come down to which operating system you prefer.

I thought my iPhones were great, but now having been on Android for a while, I think it's pretty great too. I love having the app drawer & the ability to change things that I want to. It seems like a pretty solid platform, and Motorola has been giving quick updates.

I think you'd be pretty happy either way, though the 4s will likely miss some future features of the next OS.

Posted via Android Central App

A Lumia won't be a bad phone and you can get one very cheap now a days. Based on how you use your phone, a Lumia or a MotoG will do, I would prefer the moto G because of a superior screen, processor, and IMO operating system. If you need a good camera, you may want to get the iPhone. Otherwise, the moto G sounds like a great fit.

I gave my partner a Moto G for Christmas and it is an outstanding value. The screen is very bright and readable. The phone is loud and clear. And the flip case you can get from Motorola is outstanding. Close case, screen off. Open case, screen comes on. Very handy and it protects the screen too. The camera is a weak point, but it's not so bad that it's unusable. It works okay. If you can live with 16gb storage (don't get the 8, 8 isn't enough room) then it's totally worth it.

Thank you very much all of you people,and yes i have been on several forums asking questions like "is iphone 4s worth it?" "is moto g worth it",so that i can decide which cellphone i am gonna buy,actually it is my first smartphone and i am honestly very attracted towards the 4s,and yes it is not laggy with 7.0 at all,it is a niggle slower than the iphone 5c but it is not
slow in usual experience i verified that myself,well the person who is selling me has 6.1.3,having said that yes it "might" be slower for some users,as 7 was quite buggy for some,but still apple is surely known for their solid updates,7.1 would be quite good for 4s i am sure,but the biggest gripe is their is not much life after that 7.1,while user experience would remain quite above than ios's offerings (ok now,i am not an apple's fanboy in noob's clothing :p)...while in case of moto g it is all extremely good phone but in the end it is a midranger,camera is actually below par,and in my country the price of moto g is actually $20 ($20 translates into 2000 in my country) higher than used 4s' offering,well money in this range is not a problem for me i can buy moto g aswell...i am confused still btw xD

t1234

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

I am an apple fanboy and owned the 4s for two years before recently upgrading to the 5s. I also joined the Android community with my purchase of the Moto G. In short, it really comes down to which ecosystem you prefer: OS or Android? In years past, OS was better given the immense menu of apps. But Android has caught up. Android claims to be a more open system but anyone can jb an iPhone and customize their phone.

Both phones are fantastic devices, with their respective plus/minus.

My 4s was on 6.1.x, I intentionally did not upgrade to 7.xx. The camera is excellent, the phone is snappy, call quality excellent and you can't beat the ability to seamlessly sync your iPad, iPhone and mac. The music player is superior to android. My only concern with buying a used 4s is the battery life but swapping a new battery is easy and inexpensive [pm for instructions].

The Moto G has a slightly larger screen, easier to browse/view internet. Google Now works great. I've only had it for 3 wks but really like it.

Good luck

cooljatt18

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

Go for Moto G, you will not regret it.

.1) You get warranty as it is new device.
.2) Latest Android OS Kitkat
.3) If you are from a developing country you will have Dual SIM Version of Moto G
.4) Back covers are changeable so even if you scuff your original one can change at a later date and get an almost brand new feel.
.5) Best value for money phone.

f2k8

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site

A Moto G is a better option for someone in a 3rd world country. I owned an iPhone 4s and it was great when it first came out, but now, it's really not that good. The only decent thing about it is the camera, after a few years the battery becomes horrible, and they are really hard/expensive to replace. The Moto G doesn't need to be jailbroken to accept apps from an unknown source, it's more globally-friendly. Other than the camera, the Moto G beats the iPhone 4s in ever aspect in my opinion, and to be honest, the camera is totally fine for me, I don't need a super high end camera on a phone, I barely take that many pictures.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I bought my wife a Moto G for X-mas and the quad-core is shockingly able to handle multitasking and games. Plus the battery life is impossibly long. The first charge lasted 2.5 days with 3+ hours of screen on time the next charge lasted 2 days 7 hours with 4+ hours of screen on time. Most of the use was on wifi with light gaming and web browsing. I use a 4G LTE MiFi with an unlimited plan so the lack of LTE on the Moto G means nothing to us

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

after a few years the battery becomes horrible, and they are really hard/expensive to replace.
This is the most important point of all that has been made. The iPhone 4s has a sealed case and the batteries in these phones have a finite life that is dependent both on time and the number of charge/discharge cycles. So a used iPhone 4s may not have much battery life left in it and if the previous owner allowed a full discharge or 2, then the life of the battery will be even shorter.

Make sure you know how much it would cost to replace the battery if you go with a used iPhone 4s and whether or not the battery in the device you would be buying is new or original.

A new Moto G will come with a 1 year warranty here in the US. I don't know about the OP's country; he should look into the warranty where he is located.

t1234

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Make sure you know how much it would cost to replace the battery if you go with a used iPhone 4s and whether or not the battery in the device you would be buying is new or original.

Cost of replacement battery is less than $10 delivered, via amazon.com, and takes about 5-10 minutes to swap out. Actually quite easy to do!

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

Never used moto g but I'm using 4s few weeks ago.. I hate the battery life 2 - 3 hours max on screen time. If you're on 2g i cannot imagine how you will download the apps since the apps on ios usually double in size compared to android.

The 4s camera is good.

Another option look at xiaomi mi-2s on ebay it has good camera and awesome processor for the price.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Why ask if you're set on a 4s? People have given their opinions but in the end, it's not for them to decide. I own a Moto G. I love it. It doesn't feel "midrange" to me. It handles everything that I need it to with ease. The battery lasts all day with hours of screen on use. I've had several iPhones and I wouldn't go back to them, especially not a 4s. Again, it's your choice though and it seems like you've already made it.

wareagleash

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

I went from a 4S to Moto G and never looked back. Does everything I need it to do and saved me from contract. Screen size is perfect for me. IPhone was too small and the others out there are too big. I think camera is the lacking spot, but honestly all my pictures look great.

Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app

uansari1

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

Thank you very much all of you people,and yes i have been on several forums asking questions like "is iphone 4s worth it?" "is moto g worth it",so that i can decide which cellphone i am gonna buy,actually it is my first smartphone and i am honestly very attracted towards the 4s,and yes it is not laggy with 7.0 at all,it is a niggle slower than the iphone 5c but it is not
slow in usual experience i verified that myself,well the person who is selling me has 6.1.3,having said that yes it "might" be slower for some users,as 7 was quite buggy for some,but still apple is surely known for their solid updates,7.1 would be quite good for 4s i am sure,but the biggest gripe is their is not much life after that 7.1,while user experience would remain quite above than ios's offerings (ok now,i am not an apple's fanboy in noob's clothing :p)...while in case of moto g it is all extremely good phone but in the end it is a midranger,camera is actually below par,and in my country the price of moto g is actually $20 ($20 translates into 2000 in my country) higher than used 4s' offering,well money in this range is not a problem for me i can buy moto g aswell...i am confused still btw xD

Kashan, I'm assuming you're here in Pakistan as well (I'm in Karachi), based on your conversion and the fact that Pakistan is the only subcontinental country without 3G still. I had my sis bring a Moto G over after my Nexus 4 was robbed at gunpoint.. I couldn't be happier with it. Battery life is actually better than the Nexus 4, and performance is awfully close (and I've had every Nexus device until now, as well as a G1 back in 2008). I don't use my phone for games, as I have my Nexus 7 for that... only downside to the Moto G is the camera isn't too great. I'm sure the 4S will have a better camera. Aside from that, I think you can't go wrong with the Moto G...truly a great phone.

Paola1993

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site

First, you can't ask for a high end camera when you can't pay for it. Going for an old high end phone it's the worst you can do. I've done it. Don't. The Moto G will beat it in everything and that phone will be completely outdated in a few months. Moto G has a great screen, quad core, gorilla glass 3, etc. Is today's technology. The 4S will show its age when it comes to daily experience and I'm sure the battery won't be as good as when it was when it first came out. Apps require more every day. If you think just the camera and the brand is worth going 3 years back, then it's okay. I wouldn't do it. But it is up to you :)

Sent from Android Central App