Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Default My UK Moto G has just updated to android version 4.4.2. So now what? :-D

Hi

I'm new to android phones, but have read a few excited posts about the 4.4.2 update.
    Now it's actually happened, what should I expect to be new / different or better?

All help will be appreciated!

Regards
    Tara

Default Re: My UK Moto G has just updated to android version 4.4.2. So now what? :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Tara100 View Post
    Hi

I'm new to android phones, but have read a few excited posts about the 4.4.2 update.
    Now it's actually happened, what should I expect to be new / different or better?

All help will be appreciated!

Regards
    Tara
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Default Re: My UK Moto G has just updated to android version 4.4.2. So now what? :-D

Anyone fancy posting our bedtime battery stats with KitKat? People claim it's better than what it is right now with the Moto G, but mine is already fantastic (right now), only goes down 3-4% and I have quite a few apps installed. I did have an issue with Media Server before but a factory reset seemed to have fixed that.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    Thanks, I now have a headache

Strange...I'm in the UK and no update for me...KitKat hates me, lol.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harvinder Sunila View Post
    Strange...I'm in the UK and no update for me...KitKat hates me, lol.
    What network are you on? A few Moto G updates will be handed out when the networks feel like it, I have a Tesco Moto G which has been unlocked to work with Ovivo (of Vodafone) and my update came straight away.

My Tesco MotoG offered the update late last night.

What's new - really not that much - transparent status and nav bar and a new settings icon are the most obvious UI changes, new stock Email App along the lines of Gmail, new Dialer app, new Gallery app, ability to switch easily between stock and user installed launchers from Settings, printing from the device, some extra options in Developer Options including experimental ART runtime rather than Dalvik and 'Geeky stats about running processes' (great name for a settings entry). Repeatedly touch Build Number in About Phone to unhide Developer Options in Settings.

What's broken/annoying - user apps can't access app battery/cpu/wakelock stats without root anymore, doesn't seem to be native support for USB drives to be mounted via OTG - *sigh* - very bad to offer updates to drunk people on a Friday night!

Time will tell if performance & battery life is better/worse than the original 4.3.

Edit - improved Antutu benchmark - 17611, compared to 17200ish on 4.3.

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neu smurph View Post
    What's broken/annoying - user apps can't access app battery/cpu/wakelock stats without root anymore, doesn't seem to be native support for USB drives to be mounted via OTG - *sigh* - very bad to offer updates to drunk people on a Friday night!.
    Plus browser text wrap no longer works and no GPS locked icon anymore - two more reasons why I won't be upgrading.
    Putting out fire with gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzers View Post
    Plus browser text wrap no longer works
    Doesn't seem to be a problem with Firefox - is that a Chrome issue?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

What's new - really not that much - transparent status and nav bar and a new settings icon are the most obvious UI changes, new stock Email App along the lines of Gmail, new Dialer app, new Gallery app, ability to switch easily between stock and user installed launchers from Settings, printing from the device, some extra options in Developer Options including experimental ART runtime rather than Dalvik and 'Geeky stats about running processes' (great name for a settings entry). Repeatedly touch Build Number in About Phone to unhide Developer Options in Settings.

What's broken/annoying - user apps can't access app battery/cpu/wakelock stats without root anymore, doesn't seem to be native support for USB drives to be mounted via OTG - *sigh* - very bad to offer updates to drunk people on a Friday night!

Time will tell if performance & battery life is better/worse than the original 4.3.

Edit - improved Antutu benchmark - 17611, compared to 17200ish on 4.3.
    Hello!

Ah well, we are stuck with it now, but as with any other significant update, there will be future positive upgrades to follow so it's not all bad news. It's kinda like updating IE, you love it / hate it, but eventually down the line, you've gotta do it

I've just printed a photo and a document from my phone, though because I'm new to androids and only got the phone a couple of weeks ago, I may have been able to do this before (though it was incredibly easy to do)

Where you said: "user apps can't access app battery/cpu/wakelock stats without root anymore" - Have you tried the CPU-Z app? I think it might offer you what you need, and some more

Tara
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

As some UK Moto G owners have replied, I thought I'd ask....

Have any of you sourced a Motorola branded wall charger that's reasonably priced?
    I've read that the chargers of other Motorola phones will work with the Moto G, but of course, without seeing the end fitting close up, there's no way of knowing which to go for.

Any ideas folks?

Tara

Is there a reason for wanting a Motorola branded wall charger?

As any wall charger will do that has a standard USB socket. As long as it provides at least 0.5amp output then it should work. To date I have used an HTC Wildfire S charger, Nexus 7 2012 charger, very cheap generic charger, slightly more expensive generic charger, USB from my laptop and I think I also used an original Kindle charger. All worked fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by f2k8 View Post
    What network are you on? A few Moto G updates will be handed out when the networks feel like it, I have a Tesco Moto G which has been unlocked to work with Ovivo (of Vodafone) and my update came straight away.
    Hi f2k8,
    I bought my Moto G unlocked from Phones4u and took my sim from my old phone from Orange/EE...no updates are showing yet.
    Doesn't sound much of an upgrade from what others have been saying as far as Moto G owners go...it's starting to sound like a downgrade.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Hmmm, I'm worried.
    I just took a photo, and as the photo captured I saw 'battery less than 5%' then the message telling me to charge now. The phone then shut down immediately and switched itself back on. I then put the phone on charge and the battery is reading as fully charged! The phone's battery wasn't particularly low to begin with.

This is exactly what used to happen on my old iphone after its last significant update, and it wrecked the phone battery after a couple of repeated events and would no longer hold any charge at all.

All I get is this...

My UK Moto G has just updated to android version 4.4.2.  So now what? :-D-screenshot_2014-01-11-19-53-31.jpg
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

That's because your phone hasn't got the update yet (like discussed on your own thread) You might be better off moving the post above to there?

Quote Originally Posted by Tara100 View Post
    That's because your phone hasn't got the update yet (like discussed on your own thread) You might be better off moving the post above to there?
    Yeah, I did work that out Tara100, but it was to show that not all Moto Gs in the UK are recieving the update.
    Thanked by:
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Yeah, I did work that out Tara100, but it was to show that not all Moto Gs in the UK are recieving the update.
    I've read that fact previously throughout the board, but thanks anyway.
    Thanked by:

Thanks Tara - I've got CPU-Z - it's Apps like Android Tuner / Better Battery Stats that don't provide as much info without root anymore. They are (were) useful for checking out in detail what apps/system functions are keeping the device awake when it's not in use and diagnosing any battery drain in standby issues.

Printing is a new feature and may be a biggie for some people - I like it. I also like a lot the ability to flip between launchers quickly, and the new photo editing in Gallery. The Dialer is definitely better as-well, and the Camera does seem a tiny bit more responsive. There are 3rd party Apps that can give access to USB storage via OTG without root - I've just tried OTG Disk Explorer and it works just fine forces closes quite regularly, but Nexus Media Importer seems to work just fine so that issue solved. Happy so far.
    Last edited by neu smurph; 01-12-2014 at 03:32 AM.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Still waiting for mine too. Does 4.4.2 get rid of the bloody carrier name in the status bar? Stupidest change they made to Android, utterly superfluous and mine takes up half the status bar

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

All I get is this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-01-11-19-53-31.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	100413
    Same here (phone is SIM free unlocked from P4U) using Tesco SIM.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

aspot72

Mine's with Tesco mobile, so that's odd...
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kvoth View Post
    Still waiting for mine too. Does 4.4.2 get rid of the bloody carrier name in the status bar? Stupidest change they made to Android, utterly superfluous and mine takes up half the status bar
    I hate my phone displaying 'TESCO' in big letters.
    Now I've checked, the font is the same but the letters look even bigger. Was TESCO blue before (or is that my imagination?) anyway, the letters are white now.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Thanks Tara - I've got CPU-Z - it's Apps like Android Tuner / Better Battery Stats that don't provide as much info without root anymore. They are (were) useful for checking out in detail what apps/system functions are keeping the device awake when it's not in use and diagnosing any battery drain in standby issues.

Printing is a new feature and may be a biggie for some people - I like it. I also like a lot the ability to flip between launchers quickly, and the new photo editing in Gallery. The Dialer is definitely better as-well, and the Camera does seem a tiny bit more responsive. There are 3rd party Apps that can give access to USB storage via OTG without root - I've just tried OTG Disk Explorer and it works just fine forces closes quite regularly, but Nexus Media Importer seems to work just fine so that issue solved. Happy so far.
    Ref. my post at 14# You've had no problems with taking pics then?
    Also, I've noticed twice now that when I try to write out a text through Textra, the whole text box will flash intermittently and very fast. Tapping the screen makes no difference, nor going out of / returning to try again. I had no problems at all until the update

As my daughter only bought the phone in November, do you know where would I stand warranty wise if things get worse?

Thanks
    Last edited by Tara100; 01-12-2014 at 11:54 AM.

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kvoth View Post
    Does 4.4.2 get rid of the bloody carrier name in the status bar? Stupidest change they made to Android, utterly superfluous and mine takes up half the status bar
    The carrier name has nothing to do with the OS - if you want to remove it you'll need to root
    Putting out fire with gasoline
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast