Moto G: Flip Case

wareagleash

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Anyone using the Moto flip case for the G? Thoughts on it?

Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Trixz_D

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Flip Case

It's your own opinion that matters I personally like it, the quality is great far better than my girlfriends official Samsung galaxy s3 flip case and it also is a completely different texture to the normal battery door that comes with the moto g the only mistake I made was picking white as is it gets dirty really quickly there are several reviews online that you can view to help influence you. Oh and at the time I bought mine they were hard to find in stock.

Posted via Android Central App

wareagleash

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

thanks folks - I'm not huge fan of the print magnet back that came with G. I've seen reviews and like idea of the textured back. Not sure if I can work with cover but gonna try it. Buttons on this phone are my biggest gripe. Pretty loose and most times I pull out of pocket screen is on. The battery life is amazing anyway but may help it even more.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site

There has been a report on XDA of the official flip case magnet being strong enough prevent normal use of the phone's compass when navigating on foot, and being strong enough to require the phones compass to be recalibrated once removed to be useful once again.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

Along with the phone got a blue one for my other half's Christmas gift. He absolutely loves it. More then I even thought he would. It's got a great texture, looks great, and is quite functional. Just for the ability to turn the screen on and off without having to deal with the power button is worth it. I truly don't think he will ever accept a phone without that ability now going forward. It's that important.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Along with the phone got a blue one for my other half's Christmas gift. He absolutely loves it. More then I even thought he would. It's got a great texture, looks great, and is quite functional. Just for the ability to turn the screen on and off without having to deal with the power button is worth it. I truly don't think he will ever accept a phone without that ability now going forward. It's that important.

Gravity Screen app will turn any flip case/pouch/pocket/flat surface into a means to turn your phone off or on with no power-button action.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

Gravity Screen app will turn any flip case/pouch/pocket/flat surface into a means to turn your phone off or on with no power-button action.

I rather have it built in if the phone hardware and software support it, otherwise it's just redundant and wasting resources running in the background. Great for phones that don't have something like that built in though!

wareagleash

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

I rather have it built in if the phone hardware and software support it, otherwise it's just redundant and wasting resources running in the background. Great for phones that don't have something like that built in though!

Yeah I agree with GG. Plus, this case is OEM and will fit it perfectly. I ordered it this weekend and will post my thoughts. I've currently used Amzer TPU case and the Ringke Slim case. Amzer does not play well with USB charger. Ringke fits perfectly but is fingerprint magnet.

Tom_Sewell

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm using an Otterbox commuter but it adds way to much bulk to the phone. I'll be getting the flip case very soon.

wareagleash

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm using an Otterbox commuter but it adds way to much bulk to the phone. I'll be getting the flip case very soon.

I had the Commuter as well (I went crazy on Amazon ordering cases while I waited on phone). Way too much bulk for me. Like it on the iPhone but not a fan on the G. Sent it back the following day.

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the black flip case. Looks great, and adds ton's of grip to the device.

Folds back flat.

Very very happy with it.

Anyone know if the other (non-flip) shells are as grippy as these? The black one it came with was like holding silk. (Impossible)

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

thanks folks - I'm not huge fan of the print magnet back that came with G. I've seen reviews and like idea of the textured back. Not sure if I can work with cover but gonna try it. Buttons on this phone are my biggest gripe. Pretty loose and most times I pull out of pocket screen is on. The battery life is amazing anyway but may help it even more.

The buttons on the phone are fine, they're just fine. If you're worried about it turning on in your pocket, there is this app called 'Smart Screen' on Google Play. It has no special permission, hence it's perfectly safe. It uses the proximity sensor on top. When you put it in your pocket, since the proximity sensor comes within half an inch of your pocket, and the corresponding light sensor gets blocked as well, the screen gets turned off (but not locked).

If you get the flip case, it utilizes the magnetic sensor, not the proximity sensor. This will cause the phone to behave in similar manner if the flip is closed, however it will lock the screen.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

How much are these cases please and where do you buy them from. Thanks

I ordered a black one off amazon. It still hasnt been dispactched, been 3 weeks. I wanted it in black so worth the wait, the ones in colour are still available, on amazon and I think I saw some on mobilefun website.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

The process is still already running to sense magnetic sensor, as it is for proximity sensor. I found Smart Screen to be the best.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

The process is still already running to sense magnetic sensor, as it is for proximity sensor. I found Smart Screen to be the best.

Yes. That's my whole point. Those processes are already running. Adding a 3rd party app to the mix needlessly adds to the processor load to preform a function that is already there.

shmotog

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

Yes. That's my whole point. Those processes are already running. Adding a 3rd party app to the mix needlessly adds to the processor load to preform a function that is already there.

You can not possibly make the proximity sensor do what I mentioned without the use of 3rd party app. The only time proximity sensor is used by default is when you are within a phonecall, or on a skype call and you put your phone to your ear. It turns the screen off, to prevent your cheek touching the buttons. It does not do this in the pocket. I believe MOTO X does that, it's known as "in pocket sensor".

The app that I mentioned in specificwould not add any overload on the processor. It just sits there, it has simply no overheads. If you don't need it, don't install it. But those who want a case just to prevent buttons being pressed while in pocket, including power button or any button or anything on the screen while in pocket, for them this is the ideal solution. The "in pocket sensor" which I believe is in MOTO X is in Moto G as well, it's just not enabled by motorola to make Moto G look poor in comparison to Moto X.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463