Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GadgetGator
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Moto G: Flip Case

    Anyone using the Moto flip case for the G? Thoughts on it?

    Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-13-2014 at 12:01 AM.
  2. #2  
    Sizzers's Avatar

    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by wareagleash View Post
    Anyone using the Moto flip case for the G? Thoughts on it?

    Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app
    Looked at it and looked away: it's a Siamese twin permanently attached to your phone which I do not like.
    Putting out fire with gasoline
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    It's your own opinion that matters I personally like it, the quality is great far better than my girlfriends official Samsung galaxy s3 flip case and it also is a completely different texture to the normal battery door that comes with the moto g the only mistake I made was picking white as is it gets dirty really quickly there are several reviews online that you can view to help influence you. Oh and at the time I bought mine they were hard to find in stock.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    It turns off/on the screen when you close/open the lid. I like it. Less need for the power button.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    thanks folks - I'm not huge fan of the print magnet back that came with G. I've seen reviews and like idea of the textured back. Not sure if I can work with cover but gonna try it. Buttons on this phone are my biggest gripe. Pretty loose and most times I pull out of pocket screen is on. The battery life is amazing anyway but may help it even more.

    Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    There has been a report on XDA of the official flip case magnet being strong enough prevent normal use of the phone's compass when navigating on foot, and being strong enough to require the phones compass to be recalibrated once removed to be useful once again.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Along with the phone got a blue one for my other half's Christmas gift. He absolutely loves it. More then I even thought he would. It's got a great texture, looks great, and is quite functional. Just for the ability to turn the screen on and off without having to deal with the power button is worth it. I truly don't think he will ever accept a phone without that ability now going forward. It's that important.

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    How much are these cases please and where do you buy them from. Thanks

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by rwalton159 View Post
    How much are these cases please and where do you buy them from. Thanks

    Posted via Android Central App
    $30 (for the flip ones) and you get them directly from Motorola's website. (make sure you click on the Shell Type drop down and select flip shells)
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by:
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Along with the phone got a blue one for my other half's Christmas gift. He absolutely loves it. More then I even thought he would. It's got a great texture, looks great, and is quite functional. Just for the ability to turn the screen on and off without having to deal with the power button is worth it. I truly don't think he will ever accept a phone without that ability now going forward. It's that important.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Gravity Screen app will turn any flip case/pouch/pocket/flat surface into a means to turn your phone off or on with no power-button action.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by neu smurph View Post
    Gravity Screen app will turn any flip case/pouch/pocket/flat surface into a means to turn your phone off or on with no power-button action.
    I rather have it built in if the phone hardware and software support it, otherwise it's just redundant and wasting resources running in the background. Great for phones that don't have something like that built in though!

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Sir Alex likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    I rather have it built in if the phone hardware and software support it, otherwise it's just redundant and wasting resources running in the background. Great for phones that don't have something like that built in though!

    Posted via Android Central App
    Yeah I agree with GG. Plus, this case is OEM and will fit it perfectly. I ordered it this weekend and will post my thoughts. I've currently used Amzer TPU case and the Ringke Slim case. Amzer does not play well with USB charger. Ringke fits perfectly but is fingerprint magnet.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  
    Tom_Sewell's Avatar

    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto G: Flip Case

    I'm using an Otterbox commuter but it adds way to much bulk to the phone. I'll be getting the flip case very soon.

    Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Moto G: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Sewell View Post
    I'm using an Otterbox commuter but it adds way to much bulk to the phone. I'll be getting the flip case very soon.

    Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app
    I had the Commuter as well (I went crazy on Amazon ordering cases while I waited on phone). Way too much bulk for me. Like it on the iPhone but not a fan on the G. Sent it back the following day.

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. #15  
    ibbyj's Avatar

    Posts
    113 Posts
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

    Default Re: Moto G: Flip Case

    I have the black flip case. Looks great, and adds ton's of grip to the device.

    Folds back flat.

    Very very happy with it.

    Anyone know if the other (non-flip) shells are as grippy as these? The black one it came with was like holding silk. (Impossible)
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by wareagleash View Post
    thanks folks - I'm not huge fan of the print magnet back that came with G. I've seen reviews and like idea of the textured back. Not sure if I can work with cover but gonna try it. Buttons on this phone are my biggest gripe. Pretty loose and most times I pull out of pocket screen is on. The battery life is amazing anyway but may help it even more.

    Sent from my XT1034 using AC Forums mobile app
    The buttons on the phone are fine, they're just fine. If you're worried about it turning on in your pocket, there is this app called 'Smart Screen' on Google Play. It has no special permission, hence it's perfectly safe. It uses the proximity sensor on top. When you put it in your pocket, since the proximity sensor comes within half an inch of your pocket, and the corresponding light sensor gets blocked as well, the screen gets turned off (but not locked).

    If you get the flip case, it utilizes the magnetic sensor, not the proximity sensor. This will cause the phone to behave in similar manner if the flip is closed, however it will lock the screen.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by rwalton159 View Post
    How much are these cases please and where do you buy them from. Thanks

    Posted via Android Central App
    I ordered a black one off amazon. It still hasnt been dispactched, been 3 weeks. I wanted it in black so worth the wait, the ones in colour are still available, on amazon and I think I saw some on mobilefun website.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    I rather have it built in if the phone hardware and software support it, otherwise it's just redundant and wasting resources running in the background. Great for phones that don't have something like that built in though!

    Posted via Android Central App
    The process is still already running to sense magnetic sensor, as it is for proximity sensor. I found Smart Screen to be the best.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by shmotog View Post
    The process is still already running to sense magnetic sensor, as it is for proximity sensor. I found Smart Screen to be the best.
    Yes. That's my whole point. Those processes are already running. Adding a 3rd party app to the mix needlessly adds to the processor load to preform a function that is already there.
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    Yes. That's my whole point. Those processes are already running. Adding a 3rd party app to the mix needlessly adds to the processor load to preform a function that is already there.
    You can not possibly make the proximity sensor do what I mentioned without the use of 3rd party app. The only time proximity sensor is used by default is when you are within a phonecall, or on a skype call and you put your phone to your ear. It turns the screen off, to prevent your cheek touching the buttons. It does not do this in the pocket. I believe MOTO X does that, it's known as "in pocket sensor".

    The app that I mentioned in specificwould not add any overload on the processor. It just sits there, it has simply no overheads. If you don't need it, don't install it. But those who want a case just to prevent buttons being pressed while in pocket, including power button or any button or anything on the screen while in pocket, for them this is the ideal solution. The "in pocket sensor" which I believe is in MOTO X is in Moto G as well, it's just not enabled by motorola to make Moto G look poor in comparison to Moto X.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by shmotog View Post
    The app that I mentioned in specificwould not add any overload on the processor. It just sits there, it has simply no overheads. If you don't need it, don't install it. But those who want a case just to prevent buttons being pressed while in pocket, including power button or any button or anything on the screen while in pocket, for them this is the ideal solution. The "in pocket sensor" which I believe is in MOTO X is in Moto G as well, it's just not enabled by motorola to make Moto G look poor in comparison to Moto X.
    There is no such thing as an app that you can download from the play store having zero impact. By it's very nature an app that is always running will have impact. It might be small, but it will not be zero. That's simply not physically possible.
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Flip Case

    Quote Originally Posted by shmotog View Post
    The buttons on the phone are fine, they're just fine. If you're worried about it turning on in your pocket, there is this app called 'Smart Screen' on Google Play. It has no special permission, hence it's perfectly safe. It uses the proximity sensor on top. When you put it in your pocket, since the proximity sensor comes within half an inch of your pocket, and the corresponding light sensor gets blocked as well, the screen gets turned off (but not locked).

    If you get the flip case, it utilizes the magnetic sensor, not the proximity sensor. This will cause the phone to behave in similar manner if the flip is closed, however it will lock the screen.
    Well I guess we got different buttons because mine are just cheap feeling. Not a fan, but its not a game changer. Honestly, my battery life has been so good that time in pocket hasn't been an issue. I got case today and pretty impressed. I will probably still order Active case too. The back of this is nice and its a little thicker but like it.

    Posted via Android Central App

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 08:59 PM
  2. Zagg and official case
    By sheppy1 in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-14-2014, 04:26 PM
  3. anyone know where I could get the Avivo rail carbonate cases for galaxy s4?
    By Paobreezy in forum Samsung Galaxy S4 Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 08:48 PM
  4. Holy Carp, cases!
    By TechTinker in forum Moto X
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 06:56 PM
  5. WTS: MINT VERIZON SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 BLACK MIST, MDK BUILD, WITH 5 Cases.
    By radyoactive in forum The Marketplace - Buy, Sell & Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2014, 06:34 PM

Posting Permissions

B