Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Any advantage waiting until Moto G ships with 4.4 Pre-installed?

Looking to purchase Moto G.

This will be my first Android phone.

Straight forward question, is there any advantage in terms of the phones responsiveness or long term life in waiting until the Moto G ships with KitKat as opposed to having to immediately upgrade the phone as soon as I buy it.

Also should this literally be the first thing that I should do, switch on and upgrade to KitKat or will that affect anything in terms of setting the phone up for the first time?

Thanks in advance for advice!

Global Posts
    4,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

Default Re: Any advantage waiting until Moto G ships with 4.4 Pre-installed?

Welcome to the forums!!

It wouldn't make a difference if you waited or not. Any performance improvements will be taken care of with the update.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
    Thanked by 2:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Many thanks for prompt reply. I have ordered the phone from a well known retailer. Will be available to collect in store Friday.

Any further advice on the second part of my question....i.e should I do anything in terms of setting up on first switch on or just immediately check for and if available install the update to KitKat?

Global Posts
    4,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

I honestly haven't seen an update on my phone in forever.....lol (I'm rooted)

I think you would need to sign in to your gmail account first. Then if there's an update, it'll prompt you.

Sent from my Wicked Note 3
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1stAndroid View Post
    Many thanks for prompt reply. I have ordered the phone from a well known retailer. Will be available to collect in store Friday.

Any further advice on the second part of my question....i.e should I do anything in terms of setting up on first switch on or just immediately check for and if available install the update to KitKat?

here is what i would do. when you get the phone switch ON and connect to wifi but SKIP Gmail login.

Go to settings and update to Kitkat and then do a factory reset from settings. reboot and now login with your gmail id.

This will make sure you dont have any upgrade problems and its like a clean start
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks very much Still1.

I'm not technologically impaired in any way, just never had an android device, so wasn't sure how it worked with app store and updates.

You answered my question perfectly. That's exactly what I was implying (but perhaps didn't fully explain), want to make sure I install in a way that gives me a clean start and hopefully no issues.

Much appreciated!