1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default T-Mobile Tethering?

Hello - can anyone confirm if they've been able to get stock wi-fi tethering working on their Moto G on the T-Mobile network? I've been doing some searching and haven't seen any specific posts regarding tethering on T-Mobile, so I thought I'd ask. A nice member over at xda posted some new APN settings pointing to fast.t-mobile.com that worked for them, but I haven't been able to get them to work reliably on my Moto G. Not many other folks have chimed in, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone here has had any luck here. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: T-Mobile Tethering?

Quote Originally Posted by theragtopman View Post
    wi-fi tethering working on their Moto G on the T-Mobile network!
    Hi, I am new to smart phones but not computers et-al. I am using my G tethered via wifi to the computer I am typing on right now. The G uses a cell-tower that has both AT&T and T-Mobile partnered. I also have no problem with cable tethering.

I did not have to make any changes to the setup other than setting an SSID and a WPA2-PSK password, then tapped "Portable wifi hotspot" and connected the laptop and tablet to it.

Using the USB tethering was even easier. Just plugged it in and win8 grabbed it in a few seconds.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theragtopman View Post
    Hello - can anyone confirm if they've been able to get stock wi-fi tethering working on their Moto G on the T-Mobile network? I've been doing some searching and haven't seen any specific posts regarding tethering on T-Mobile, so I thought I'd ask. A nice member over at xda posted some new APN settings pointing to fast.t-mobile.com that worked for them, but I haven't been able to get them to work reliably on my Moto G. Not many other folks have chimed in, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone here has had any luck here. Thanks in advance!
    What do you mean by "work reliably"?

Posted via Android Central App
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the replies! It's good to hear tethering is working for some folks.

By reliably, I mean it kept dropping connection and now won't work at all. When I first got the Moto G, I went into the settings and enabled Portable Wi-Fi hotspot, gave it a name, and enabled WPA2 encryption with a good password. I then turned on my Samsung Chromebook and it quickly found the Moto G hotspot and prompted me for the password and connected. As soon as I opened the Chrome browser to go to a website, it gave an error about not being connected to the network. I tried rebooting both devices and had no luck. I then searched here and xda and found a post there suggesting changing the APN settings to fast.t-mobile.com. I did so and retried and the first time it worked great! Surfed the web for about 15-20 minutes, but then the Chromebook started getting 'not connected to the Internet' errors. I checked the Moto G and it had completely lost data connection to the cell network. I restarted both devices and they both worked again for about 15 minutes before the Chromebook started saying not connect to the Internet again. I found that just toggling airplane mode would allow me to continue for awhile, but that's still a hassle. For some reason now, the Chromebook won't connect at all - just redirects to the T-Mobile sign in page every time I try it. I was previously using the Ultimate User Agent Chrome extension to set the UA to Android and the poster at xda recommended a different Chrome Extension set to Firefox, but neither of those work either.

Conversely, as soon as I pull the SIM card out of the Moto G and reinsert it into my Nexus 4, both the Nexus 4 and the Chromebook tether just fine and I can browse the Internet for hours at a time - no errors, no interruptions, etc - it works flawlessly. In fact, I'm typing this response on the Chromebook tethered to the N4 right now. I tried setting the Moto G APN settings exactly the same as the Nexus 4 (the only difference was the MMSC entry), but that has not helped either. I was really hoping to replace my Nexus 4 with the Moto G, but I rely on tethering almost daily. Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Sounds to me that it may be the G. Can you return it for a replacement?

I bought the G for specifically for tethering with an unlimited data plan and use it for Netflix. I have canceled the land line phone and ADSL as they were gouging us something terrible. Out in the boonies with only one phone and ADSL provider, they have been tearing into us for years. Finally a better option.

In 5-days we have already Tethered for a total of 9gbs of data. The data stream has been more consistent and faster than the ADSL. Wooohooo.

Netflix used to stall sometimes and when I called the ADSL company they said it was Netflix throttling during the heavy use times of an evening. That turned out to be a lie as the G provides Netflix at full speed day or night.

All good comes to he who waits.