Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Default New Moto G user, got a few questions.

Hi everyone,

I just picked up my Moto G and I love this thing, my first phone with vanilla android and i already like it much more than Sense or Touchwiz.

I have a few questions regarding some apps/widgets for this phone.

1. Do I really need an Anti Virus app installed? I have lookout installed but do I really need it? Motorola Assist has that thing to find and wipe a lost phone.

2. What's a good weather widget that works good with this phone? I tried installing "Android Weather & Clock Widget" by Devexpert.net from the Play store, the app seemed good but I couldn't see any of the widgets on my widget list so I ended up uninstalling it.

3. What browser does everyone use? My biggest problem with Chrome is not being able to share links/pictures by sms without having to save it first and I'm not a big fan of mobile sites, having to request desktop site every time is a bit annoying. I downloaded the Boat Browser for now which lets me browse in desktop view, share everything with sms, and lets me put my bookmarks on the speed dial screen (or whatever it's called lol). But the full screen advertisement upon exiting is really annoying me.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Default Re: New Moto G user, got a few questions.

1. No as long as you install from playstore and not side load apk. also download from trusted developer then you should be fine.

2. Beautiful widget?? or HD widget?

3. you can share in chrome with SMS! just click menu-->share...
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat
    Thanked by:
    unopepito06 likes this.

As a browser I use Firefox for Android. Man reason is SelfDestructingCookies addon.

Not sure about the share thing as I don't use SMS, well, not yet anyway, the G is my first phone with it.

It has a "Share" option on the menu but it is grayed out, probably because I have nothing to share yet.

For weather I suggest 1weather.

Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
    Thanked by:

i love Next Browser, it's my favorite!
    but i'm not sure it has the feature you want ><

sent from my Moto G <3

You should take a look to the Baidu Browser

Gesendet von meinem DARKNIGHT

I like weatherbug, for my weather app.

I like FWeather but if you knew me you could have guessed that.
    The best f---ing weather widget you can install [AC After Dark] | Android Central
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I haven't yet uninstalled Lookout, but I guess I will in the near future as it appears I really don't need it.

For my browser I've decided to stay with Boat, but after 4.4.2 update it seems a bit buggy only with forums (this one and hfboards to be specific, can't speak about others). I figure this will be fixed as Kit Kat becomes more widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    I like FWeather but if you knew me you could have guessed that.
    The best f---ing weather widget you can install [AC After Dark] | Android Central
    I actually came across this article while googling the same question, was very tempted to download it but I have a 1st grader that plays with my phone so I decided against it.

I've installed 1weather and I love it, lots of widgets and a lot of information. Very easy to navigate and also seems pretty accurate for my area.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their replies, so thank you again all.

Quote Originally Posted by budweiser View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just picked up my Moto G and I love this thing, my first phone with vanilla android and i already like it much more than Sense or Touchwiz.

I have a few questions regarding some apps/widgets for this phone.

1. Do I really need an Anti Virus app installed? I have lookout installed but do I really need it? Motorola Assist has that thing to find and wipe a lost phone.

2. What's a good weather widget that works good with this phone? I tried installing "Android Weather & Clock Widget" by Devexpert.net from the Play store, the app seemed good but I couldn't see any of the widgets on my widget list so I ended up uninstalling it.

3. What browser does everyone use? My biggest problem with Chrome is not being able to share links/pictures by sms without having to save it first and I'm not a big fan of mobile sites, having to request desktop site every time is a bit annoying. I downloaded the Boat Browser for now which lets me browse in desktop view, share everything with sms, and lets me put my bookmarks on the speed dial screen (or whatever it's called lol). But the full screen advertisement upon exiting is really annoying me.

Thanks in advance everyone!
    i have avast, paid full version. has it ever caught any virus? no. then again i never install weird apps. thing is android cant get a virus as such, it gets..i think malware, its upto you really if you install apps that can exploit your data. what i mean is, a virus like in windows can corrupt the system, while in android it cant happen. anyway i have avast, hasnt caught no virus, but maybe there is no virus to begin with so its doing its job ( i would assume), and about battery life it doesnt take hardly any off the battery.

regarding weather the best widget ive found and relied on all my life is the window of my bedroom to see if its raining etc. my body tells me the temperature. what i mean to say is those weather widgets are pointless. weather can never be predicted anyway.

browser, chrome. why, cause its apparently faster, renders better. its a moto g, a google phone, chrome = google. use honda accessories in a honda civic. anyway my favourite on desktop is firefox.

A new android update will be coming out soon basically making antivirus redundant. They just slow your phone down anyway.

I use Lookout because its great when I install an app from the play store and it says the app is classified as intrusive adware, also it has a option to take a picture of the person trying to unlock your phone if they enter the password wrong to many times and sends you an email. I use The Weather Channel app and widgets because they are very accurate in determining my location when I go to a different place. I use Chrome for my web browsing and a different browser for other things. Hope you enjoy your moto g!!! I do after having it for 2 weeks.

ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7/scott Pilgr

I don't use anti viruses. Been using Android for 4 years and never had a virus. Now for my 10 1/2 year old step daughter, I do have one installed on her galaxy tab 3 7.0, but then again she's only 10 1/2.