Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Charging while in use?

    Does the G have some circuitry to know when its on mains power? I ask because I plan to use mine in the car as a primary GPS device for many hours each day and I don't want to booger the battery by introducing an endless charge/deplete conflict.
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,452 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,531 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Charging while in use?

    Quote Originally Posted by cgavin1 View Post
    Does the G have some circuitry to know when its on mains power? I ask because I plan to use mine in the car as a primary GPS device for many hours each day and I don't want to booger the battery by introducing an endless charge/deplete conflict.
    Welcome to Android Central
    You can use it while plugged in. It's not good for the battery in the long run but I wouldn't let that stop you from using it

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  3. #3  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    13,519 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,793 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

    Default Re: Charging while in use?

    I would simply unplug it when it is full then charge when needed. You will go through more charge cycles, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

    Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Charging while in use?

    Awesome thanks for the swift replies! One more question I would like to ask (and forgive me if its been answered already as I am sure it has been asked) is has anyone got a link to some teardown info/pics; specifically with regard to removing the battery?
  5. #5  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,452 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,531 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Charging while in use?

    Quote Originally Posted by cgavin1 View Post
    Awesome thanks for the swift replies! One more question I would like to ask (and forgive me if its been answered already as I am sure it has been asked) is has anyone got a link to some teardown info/pics; specifically with regard to removing the battery?
    Not sure. You might be able to find a YouTube video on it but I haven't seen an instruction list or guide on how to do it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Charging while in use?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Not sure. You might be able to find a YouTube video on it but I haven't seen an instruction list or guide on how to do it.

    Posted via Android Central App
    i remember reading somewhere it has 8 screws somewhere, no idea where. thing is they've sealed it to make it waterproof, or water resistant, so you might lose that ability if you tamper with it.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Charging while in use?

    Quote Originally Posted by cgavin1 View Post
    Does the G have some circuitry to know when its on mains power? I ask because I plan to use mine in the car as a primary GPS device for many hours each day and I don't want to booger the battery by introducing an endless charge/deplete conflict.
    that's an oldschool myth from days of nokia 3210, those nicad batteries i believe they were called. lithium batteries should have no problem being on main all the time. i played real racing 3 for 2 hours the other day while on usb. i noticed in the end the battery was full. i guess it just takes power from main when connected instead of using battery at all.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Charging while in use?

    Thanks for the info Shmotog. Yeah I guess given the impressive sales stats for these units and the fact they are so comparatively cheap, we'll see loads of hardware hacking and retooling material in the near future. Replacing the battery is something everyone wants to know how to do I am sure. I am not buying a new phone in 18 months lol.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Charging while in use?

    Quote Originally Posted by cgavin1 View Post
    Thanks for the info Shmotog. Yeah I guess given the impressive sales stats for these units and the fact they are so comparatively cheap, we'll see loads of hardware hacking and retooling material in the near future. Replacing the battery is something everyone wants to know how to do I am sure. I am not buying a new phone in 18 months lol.
    i have an old motorola whose battery lasted 7 years. i used it for 7 years!
    moto g has one of the best batteries as they come in smartphones nowadays. i dont think youll need to replace it for the next 3 years.
    in the end when you need to replace as you said someone would come up with a tutorial but if they dont you could always get a cheap damaged one from ebay and open it up yourself and see how the battery can be removed and then do the same properly with your own phone.

Similar Threads

  1. Guys...don't be in the doghouse....
    By Golfdriver97 in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 05:12 AM
  2. Google Nexus 5 now available in Red - Who's getting one?
    By James Falconer in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 02:32 PM
  3. Huge battery drain in airplane mode
    By fc_themaster in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 05:43 PM
  4. why does my phone charges slow and drains battery so fast?
    By Unisauruss Rose in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2014, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

B