Chrome is taking so much RAM

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I love this phone, but it seems the 1 gig of RAM has its downfall.

I have noticed that while I am browsing the web, chrome takes a crazy amount of ram, sometimes kicking off even my home screen, forcing it to redraw when I exit.

Is there any way to change it so Chrome uses less ram? If not, is there a lightweight browser anyone would recommend? Thanks!

Sent from my super awesome moto g.

philosopherisdog

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not on a Moto G (I'm still using a GNEX, same RAM), but I'm also getting frustrated with the Chrome mobile browser. Same stuff happens to me, but doesn't seem to be a problem using the original stock browser or Firefox.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Chrome is one of the more memory hungry browsers. You can use Opera or Opera mini browsers :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it's crazy, Kit Kat is now designed to run lighter and faster on lower-end phones, but then they make Chrome the stock browser out-of-the-box, which is such a memory hog that even my Badass Nexus 7 2013 chokes up sometimes. I recommend trying some of the more well-liked (I mean better :cool: ) browsers out there and finding something you like, aesthetically and functionally. You've already got one good suggestion!^^^ :)

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's crazy, Kit Kat is now designed to run lighter and faster on lower-end phones, but then they make Chrome the stock browser out-of-the-box, which is such a memory hog that even my Badass Nexus 7 2013 chokes up sometimes. I recommend trying some of the more well-liked (I mean better :cool: ) browsers out there and finding something you like, aesthetically and functionally. You've already got one good suggestion!^^^ :)

Opera seems to be perfect. I guess the only downside is not being able to sync my bookmarks anymore :(

Sent from my super awesome moto g.

John Kreese

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I use chrome and have not had any issues. It does have a large memory and cache footprint but I have not had the issues you describe. I wonder, how many apps are you running? It would have to be pretty busy on your device to cause the Home screen to swap lol.

Converted007

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Have the same issues like the topicstarter. I downloaded the dolphin browser, pretty neat and clean and faster too!

Maybe thats a solution for now...