Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bwillard92
  • 1 Post By mynameis
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Moto G or Moto X?

    I am completely happy with my iPhone 5C but I would like to get an android device to mess around with.

    I have had an android in the past. From Fall 2011 to Spring 2012 I used an AT&T Avail that ran on 2.3 gingerbread and although it was good for the most part the phone was slow and unresponsive at times. Also every couple of days it froze causing me to have to take out the battery and put it back in. I eventually couldn't take it anymore and went back to carrying around a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. I did this until this past fall when I decided to get an iPhone 5C.

    The iPhone is the best phone I have ever owned and works great with my macbook. I now want to give android another chance after seeing and reading how far android has come with Kit Kat. I have basically narrowed it down to the Moto G or the Moto X. I have done plenty of research and read reviews and I think either one would be a good choice. So basically can anyone tell me if my android experience would suffer if I chose the Moto G over the Moto X?
    Thanked by:
    Kashan Osama likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    From what I hear, the Moto G is an awesome device especially for the price. I personally have an X and I love it. I just know that the X has a few features that the G doesn't. Active notifications and touchless control are a couple. Active Notifications is awesome. I use that feature more than I thought I would. I recommend the X to anyone wanting to try out an android experience. I believe that its one of the best phones out there. Especially because the stock UI on the Moto X is extremely similar to stock android. And stock android beats any other UI hands down. At least in my opinion.

    If you want the G, I say go for it. But of you have the extra cash and pick up the X. I do think its worth the extra dollars.

    Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Kashan Osama likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    I think it comes down to price. If the higher price of the X isn't a problem for you, get it. You're going to gett more ov everything, power, features, screen size, etc.

    I would have gotten an X, but the price exceeded my budget. After two months I'm very happy with my G because it meets my needs well. My previous phones were an iPhone4 and a Galaxy S3 and my G is my favorite.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Go with the Moto X if you can afford it. It have some nifty features no other phones have currently. But the Moto G is not bad in term of the software, just don't expect anything from the camera.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    Go with the Moto X if you can afford it. It have some nifty features no other phones have currently. But the Moto G is not bad in term of the software, just don't expect anything from the camera.
    I won't be using it for the camera. I have my iPhone 5C for that.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    I know you said you have done lots of research, but have you thought about the nexus 5? For $350 it is a Mich more powerful phone than the moto x. The phone is a beast and the guaranteed android updates are a bonus. That being said, it runs completely stock android so you don't get some of the nice subtle features from the x or g. Also the build quality and design isn't up to the same level.

    Just a thought. I can't say I own any of those three phones but I own the nexus 4 and love it to pieces. It has served me well and Android has come leaps and bounds from the days of gingerbread.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    I originally did think of the Nexus 5 but the moto maker seems quite interesting and I would love to design my own phone (royal blue back, black front and orange accents). Also until March 2nd I can get a Verizon no contract Moto X for $329 on motomaker.com. Right now I am leaning towards a Moto X but will sleep on it tonight and probably make a decision tomorrow.
  8. #8  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    6,476 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,613 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwillard92 View Post
    I am completely happy with my iPhone 5C but I would like to get an android device to mess around with.

    I have had an android in the past. From Fall 2011 to Spring 2012 I used an AT&T Avail that ran on 2.3 gingerbread and although it was good for the most part the phone was slow and unresponsive at times. Also every couple of days it froze causing me to have to take out the battery and put it back in. I eventually couldn't take it anymore and went back to carrying around a dumb phone and an iPod Touch. I did this until this past fall when I decided to get an iPhone 5C.

    The iPhone is the best phone I have ever owned and works great with my macbook. I now want to give android another chance after seeing and reading how far android has come with Kit Kat. I have basically narrowed it down to the Moto G or the Moto X. I have done plenty of research and read reviews and I think either one would be a good choice. So basically can anyone tell me if my android experience would suffer if I chose the Moto G over the Moto X?
    Welcome to Android Central
    It wouldn't suffer, but as some have mentioned above, it doesn't have all of the cool features that make the Moto X awesome. I'd go for the X and customize it to my liking

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Have both a G and X in our household and both are great phones. Some differences that others haven't touched on yet are size. The G is quite a bit thicker and not as sleek as the X. The X just fits in the hand better. In our case, the X has stronger WiFi reception. They both are equal in cell signal. Screen technology is different. The X does blacks better, but the G is brighter. While people have mentioned the difference with active notifications, the G has it's own unique feature in the form of the optional flip cover case (highly recommended). It's really cool being able to turn the screen on and off by just closing or opening the cover. If you have any other questions just ask. I don't think you can go wrong with either phone.

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    The motomaker is enough reason to splurge on the Moto X. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that what if I don't like android. Could I just be feeling that the grass is greener on the other side? Anyone else own an iPhone and an Android phone? I just don 't want to customize a Moto X and then not like android all that much.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by bwillard92 View Post
    The motomaker is enough reason to splurge on the Moto X. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that what if I don't like android. Could I just be feeling that the grass is greener on the other side? Anyone else own an iPhone and an Android phone? I just don 't want to customize a Moto X and then not like android all that much.
    I use iOS too, so maybe I could speak to that. There are things you might not like. There are things you might. But in the end, only really you can answer that question. I guess I am a little confused, because you have posted both that you are totally happy with your iPhone, but then you are here on an Android site wondering if the grass is greener which doesn't sound like someone who is happy with their device! LOL

    So, I have to ask what things you think you might not like? You said the phone you had was good for the most part, so I assume you are familiar with how Android is set up. But with either of the Moto phones, you won't have the freezing or unresponsiveness that you experienced before. So what other facts make you hesitant? If you list them I can take them one by one as see if the switch is a good fit for you or not.
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
  12. #12  

    Default

    Google now is awesome, and the moto g is the best mid range phone. If all you want to do is play ...it's well worth the $100 @Verizon. And right now, they are waiving the activation fee(35). Just picked up two for my parents and was quite impressed with build quality and screen. Definitely worth a c note. I didn't feel like it was too thick in my hand, it has a really nice feel to it.

    sent from my Nos M7 DNA
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by gtanner00 View Post
    I know you said you have done lots of research, but have you thought about the nexus 5? For $350 it is a Mich more powerful phone than the moto x. The phone is a beast and the guaranteed android updates are a bonus. That being said, it runs completely stock android so you don't get some of the nice subtle features from the x or g. Also the build quality and design isn't up to the same level.

    Just a thought. I can't say I own any of those three phones but I own the nexus 4 and love it to pieces. It has served me well and Android has come leaps and bounds from the days of gingerbread.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Honestly, I think I would still go with the X. The design to me is a lot better than the Nexus 5. And the battery on the X murders the Nexus 5. I can go well over a day with mine with average use. The Moto X is also really really close to stock android.

    Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetGator View Post
    I use iOS too, so maybe I could speak to that. There are things you might not like. There are things you might. But in the end, only really you can answer that question. I guess I am a little confused, because you have posted both that you are totally happy with your iPhone, but then you are here on an Android site wondering if the grass is greener which doesn't sound like someone who is happy with their device! LOL

    So, I have to ask what things you think you might not like? You said the phone you had was good for the most part, so I assume you are familiar with how Android is set up. But with either of the Moto phones, you won't have the freezing or unresponsiveness that you experienced before. So what other facts make you hesitant? If you list them I can take them one by one as see if the switch is a good fit for you or not.
    The one thing that makes me hesitant about android is that people say it doesn't play nice with MacBooks and apple products in general. Can I use iTunes with android?
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by bwillard92 View Post
    The motomaker is enough reason to splurge on the Moto X. The only thing that makes me hesitant is that what if I don't like android. Could I just be feeling that the grass is greener on the other side? Anyone else own an iPhone and an Android phone? I just don 't want to customize a Moto X and then not like android all that much.
    Every time that I switched back to android from my android phone, I ended up going back to an iphone. But! I never had a stock or near stock android experience until the Moto X. After this phone, I don't see myself going back to an iphone. My biggest thing is that I got super bored with the iphone. They are great phones, do not get me wrong. Anyone who says that they're not, is crazy. Because they really are. They're just so damn locked down. But some people like this, because the whole "it just works" motto is true for most of the part. I'm assuming having a locked ecosystem helps with that, but I don't know.

    Anyway, if you're curious in android. All I can say is, go for it. If you get a device like the Moto X or Nexus 5, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I would go for the X over the G and Nexus. But I'm sure with whatever you choose, you'll enjoy it.

    Any other questions? Feel free to ask!

    Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by bwillard92 View Post
    The one thing that makes me hesitant about android is that people say it doesn't play nice with MacBooks and apple products in general. Can I use iTunes with android?
    I don't do it, but I have heard you can easily convert your music from iTunes to pop it right on your android device. Someone here will know more about it, but I do want to say yes. Yes you can.

    Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by bwillard92 View Post
    The one thing that makes me hesitant about android is that people say it doesn't play nice with MacBooks and apple products in general. Can I use iTunes with android?
    I don't know who these people are, but they are wrong. That's not true. I have a Mac that I use with my Moto X all the time. As for music, there are a number of ways to get music onto your device. You can use a program called Doubletwist https://www.doubletwist.com/ or you can do what I did and just sync your music to Google and then play it right on your device. It's easy. Although now I have mostly moved on from that and just use streaming music now.
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Thanks GadgetGator for pointing out Doubletwist to me. That is basically what I was looking for. So I guess I must have been mistaken thinking that apple and android products don't play nice with each other. At least if I buy a Moto X and don't like android I can return it within 14 days of purchase.
  19. #19  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    6,476 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,613 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by bwillard92 View Post
    Thanks GadgetGator for pointing out Doubletwist to me. That is basically what I was looking for. So I guess I must have been mistaken thinking that apple and android products don't play nice with each other. At least if I buy a Moto X and don't like android I can return it within 14 days of purchase.
    If any phone will make you like Android, it's the Moto X 😀

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    GadgetGator likes this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Only reason I got a Moto G was because its cheaper and Boost had a deal. FM Radio is nice...I have missed that from my Droid X days.

    When I plan on upgrading my cell phone service...I will be getting a Moto X. I Miss LTE. But...Moto G on T Mo or AT&T towers is alot faster than Sprint. After so many years being a CDMA fan...I recommend the GSM versions. The 3G speed difference alone is worth it.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    After much hemming and hawing I have decided on the Moto X over the Moto G mostly because of the Motomaker. When I saw that the Motomaker had added orange as a customizable color I designed one and ordered it. So my Moto X has black front, orange back and metallic blue accents. I'm so excited for it to come.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Moto G or Moto X?

    Quote Originally Posted by bwillard92 View Post
    After much hemming and hawing I have decided on the Moto X over the Moto G mostly because of the Motomaker. When I saw that the Motomaker had added orange as a customizable color I designed one and ordered it. So my Moto X has black front, orange back and metallic blue accents. I'm so excited for it to come.
    Congrats! Welcome to the Moto X family!

    Posted via Android Central App
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 138
    Last Post: 06-14-2014, 03:16 PM
  2. Not gunna lie I just ordered my custom made Moto X!
    By lee.michael.f92 in forum Moto X
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-11-2014, 01:34 AM
  3. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-01-2014, 05:55 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 11:59 AM
  5. Moto X: Type by Voice not working
    By TBolt in forum Moto X
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 01:12 AM

Posting Permissions