Moto G: YouTube full screen

Ytown

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
When playing YouTube the screen is cropped. The on screen buttons disappear but the black bar on the side remains. Is there a way to make it full screen?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: YouTube full screen

The onscreen buttons don't exactly disappear--they get replaced by 3 innocuous dots, and then the buttons reappear if you tap the bar. That's why the bar remains there--otherwise, you wouldn't have access to the buttons. Maybe there's a way to get rid of the bar if you root, but I'm not aware of any way to do so unrooted.

Ytown

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site

OK, I see what you are saying. Some videos though go full screen and the buttons don't reappear unless you tap the screen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

You're right--sorry, I didn't test it out on my phone until now. Can you tell us which videos you've found where the bar remains?

mtvictor

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
If im not wrong, you can get the full screen by using the YouTube app
But if you use chrome for example, it won't go full screen

Sancrya0

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
When using the Youtube app, tap on the video so the buttons appear, then tap again and they should be gone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If im not wrong, you can get the full screen by using the YouTube app
But if you use chrome for example, it won't go full screen

You may have hit the nail on the head. If the OP is still around, it'd be good to know how the YouTube video is being viewed.

Ytown

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
I've tried viewing YouTube using the app and chrome. I can't figure it out, sometimes it will go full screen other times not.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How about giving us a few examples of videos that go full screen and some that don't, and we'll see if we can replicate it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried it on the app, and initially it doesn't go full screen. But do you see a little Hangout symbol at the lower left? Tap the little arrow next to it, then tap the X to exit that option. For me, it then goes full screen.

Check other videos that don't go full screen--do they have something like that Hangout symbol, or some other overlaid option?

Ytown

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
That seems to be what the problem was. I would double tap and it wouldn't go full screen. Following your directions it went full screen. Thanks for all your help!

Lomonocrat

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm having the same problem as OP, using the YouTube app on the Nexus 5. Just like OP, videos I'm watching sometimes don't go full screen, seemingly for no reason and at random. Unfortunately, I see no options overlayed that might be the cause. Here is a video I can't watch in full screen:

g33kd4d

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here as well.

Multiple videos. Youtube app is up to date.

The notification bar does dim, it just doesn't hide.

I've noticed closing the app and reopening fixes for a few videos. Tapping the screen to bring up controls and letting it dim used to work, it does not now.

Samsung S4 with CM 10.2.0-jfltespr (4.3.1)

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I wonder if the aspect ratio of the video makes a difference. I'm not sure if it does, but if the OP is saying that some videos are going full screen and others aren't, that could be the case.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's a good thought, but I watch a fair number of videos that are 4:3 ratio, and the soft buttons still hide themselves.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
That's a good thought, but I watch a fair number of videos that are 4:3 ratio, and the soft buttons still hide themselves.

I wonder if it is just a bug in the app itself. I know that sometimes I have to tap the screen twice to make the buttons disappear. It wasn't always that way though. Maybe an app update will fix the issue.

Lomonocrat

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Closing the YouTube app through the multitasking menu fixes it for a particular video, but after the app has been open for a while it just happens again. Very frustrating.

Varun Sapre

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I finally figured it out! :D
A double tap anywhere on the screen toggles between the complete full screen and (semi?) Full screen modes.
Tell me if this works for you too :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo