Moto G: Compass not working with Waze and Ingress

Bryan Lucas

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Moto G since the first of the year and it's a great phone. Howver, I have one problem that's bugging me.

The compass doesn't seem to work in navigation or while playing Ingress. In Ingress it ALWAYS points north and won't adjust to the compass heading, and yes I've turned the dynamic compass on. In Waze, which I use to navigate in the car it never knows which way I'm facing until I move and the GPS can detect my direction of motion.

I downloaded a compass app just to make sure it was working, and it was fine. It also works in Google Maps.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by a moderator:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Moto G Compass not working with Waze and Ingress

I don't think the Moto G has hardware compass just the predictive GPS compass. I have the Moto X and my wife has the Moto G and none of the apps with compass features work any where as well as my Moto X.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto G Compass not working with Waze and Ingress

It does have a hardware compass. Which is easily confused by magnets in cases (including the official FLIP case).

blogbuchstabe

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi Brian !

Did you get it to work ?

Same problem here with a brand new moto g 8gb with Android 4.4.2 ...

Compass is working fine - just not in Ingress !

Thanks
Tom

Bryan Lucas

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
No, still not working in Ingress or Waze. Works fine in Google Maps. It's go to be something different about how it accesses the compass.

Posted via Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Anybody figure this out?!?! I just got a Moto G 2015 and it does the same thing in Ingress... and yes, it does have a hardware compass. You can use Phone Tester from the Play Store and verify it has a true compass, an Asahi Kasei Microdevices 3-axis calibrated magnetic field sensor.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar