Moto G: KitKat signal strength indicator erroneous?

AM_SOS

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

With KitKat I'm told that the signal strength indicator in the notification bar will be orange when the signal is weak, and white when strong.

My phone came with 4.3 and I successfully shifted over to the KitKat upgrade. The phone is otherwise running very well.

I've noticed of late that after rebooting the phone the indicator always stays orange. Initially I thought this was because of a weak signal but when I checked the signal strength I realised it was pretty good.

Then I noticed that the colour changed to white upon switching on the internet (whether 2G of 3G). It doesn't go back to orange and stays white.

I am confused as to what's happening. It looks to me there's a bug of some sort with the signal indicator.

Can anyone share their experiences or thoughts about this or similar issues?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: KitKat signal strength indicator erroneous?

Orange means no connection to the Google servers, while white means a good connection. So orange can mean one of two things--either your overall connection is bad (meaning no internet connection at all), or there's just a problem with the Google servers (meaning you can still access the rest of the internet, but your Google services might have problems syncing).

You're referring to the cell signal bars, and not the wifi signal indicator, right? If neither your wi-fi nor your mobile data are on, then your cell signal bars will be orange, indicating that you aren't connected to the Google servers (because you're not connected to the internet). If you turn either on and connect to the web, then the cell signal bars will turn white (even if you're using wi-fi and not mobile data).

cooljatt18

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: KitKat signal strength indicator erroneous?

Orange means no connection to the Google servers, while white means a good connection. So orange can mean one of two things--either your overall connection is bad (meaning no internet connection at all), or there's just a problem with the Google servers (meaning you can still access the rest of the internet, but your Google services might have problems syncing).

You're referring to the cell signal bars, and not the wifi signal indicator, right? If neither your wi-fi nor your mobile data are on, then your cell signal bars will be orange, indicating that you aren't connected to the Google servers (because you're not connected to the internet). If you turn either on and connect to the web, then the cell signal bars will turn white (even if you're using wi-fi and not mobile data).

that explains all!!

anuj1012

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
HI,
Ornage bars means the auto connectivity to google server is missing. It means you wont get any updates on own; however if you log into those apps then the apps will update.

I was also facing the same problem for a very long time. Whenever my mobile was on network data it used to be in orange colour but in wifi its colour used to change to white.

Later i realized that background data on google play services and google play store was diasbelled creating all the problem.

Now the mobile is working fine giving auto updates and bar colours changed to white.

Hope it solves your issue too.

Regards
Anuj

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc