Is it okay to charge Moto G overnight?

Nikhil Ramakrishnan

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Is it okay to do so? Normally, I would keep it on charging for around 5 hours with battery less than 40%. Is this okay? Will it affect the battery life?

Last edited:

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
You are completely fine charging it overnight. The phone will only let itself charge to full and then maintain that charge, it will not overcharge.

You can keep the phone below 40% for as long as you want, it will not affect battery longevity.

Posted via Android Central App

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually I meant that I would start charging when the battery is below 40%

You can do that if you want, but it's not necessary. You can run it down lower if you desire. I usually let mine get to about 15% before I plug it in. Either way though will not affect battery longevity.

sicembaylor

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm always surprised when people don't charge their primary device every night. I always plug my phone in just before going to bed -- doing otherwise just doesn't make sense.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm always surprised when people don't charge their primary device every night. I always plug my phone in just before going to bed -- doing otherwise just doesn't make sense.

If your planning on keeping a phone for 3 + years and have say an iphone 5 or HTC M7 or M8 charging the phone overnight will kill the battery eventually and much faster then if you charged it and then took it off at 100%

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I charge it overnight. If I take it off the charger at 100% - A) that point could be while I'm sleeping, and B) I really like to leave the house at 100% each time.

I'm not terribly worried about battery life. Could well have a new phone at some point anyway.

Nikhil Ramakrishnan

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
If your planning on keeping a phone for 3 + years and have say an iphone 5 or HTC M7 or M8 charging the phone overnight will kill the battery eventually and much faster then if you charged it and then took it off at 100%

Can't we get the battery replaced in case it loses its life?
It can be replaced by a service center right?

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

These phones will regulate charging, you can't overcharge the battery. It's perfectly fine charging overnight, I've NEVER had a battery go bad on any phone in over 5 years.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
These phones will regulate charging, you can't overcharge the battery. It's perfectly fine charging overnight, I've NEVER had a battery go bad on any phone in over 5 years.

I've had my phone battery life decrease over time... Considering most people in the US upgrade every 2 years isn't a big deal but if you are one of the people who keep phones longer battery life will decrease a noticeable about after 2 years

Sent from my SM-N900T

Inundated

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Had the phone charging overnight, and kept it on the charger as usual. Early this morning, the phone (at 100%) was very hot.

Checked the temperature thanks to GSam Battery Monitor, and it was 102 degrees!!

Took it off the charger and went back to sleep. It got down to 77 degrees and is cool to the touch again (and still at 99%).

Nikhil Ramakrishnan

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Had the phone charging overnight, and kept it on the charger as usual. Early this morning, the phone (at 100%) was very hot.

Checked the temperature thanks to GSam Battery Monitor, and it was 102 degrees!!

Took it off the charger and went back to sleep. It got down to 77 degrees and is cool to the touch again (and still at 99%).

Doesn't happen with me when I charge it overnight. Not until now at least. How long (hours) did you keep it for charging?

Gutawer

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Any modern battery regulates itself, meaning that once charged to 100% it will go down to about 95% then charge back up to 100% then rinse and repeat. It is literally impossible to overcharge your phone. Don't worry about it.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Any modern battery regulates itself, meaning that once charged to 100% it will go down to about 95% then charge back up to 100% then rinse and repeat. It is literally impossible to overcharge your phone. Don't worry about it.

That still isn't good for the battery ....

Deepak Nayak

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Moto G have A built in Non removable battery. So charging overnight won't make any issue for the battery life. It won't break down or pop up. Its also recommended in the Moto Care Tip to charge overnight so that you can used phone for a whole day next day.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Moto G have A built in Non removable battery. So charging overnight won't make any issue for the battery life. It won't break down or pop up. Its also recommended in the Moto Care Tip to charge overnight so that you can used phone for a whole day next day.

How is built in mean any different? My iPod color died about 13 months after I bought it which I was just after the year warranty... Batteries will die and technically charging it over night could affect battery life. The 2 phones I have owned the longest was the iPhone 4 for 20 months and galaxy s2 skyrocket for about 10 Months I did notice a decrease of battery life of those phones around 9-10 months.... I personally will only buy phones with removable batteries or at the very least easy to replace like the nexus 5

Sent from my SM-N900T

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance