Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it okay to charge Moto G overnight?

Is it okay to do so? Normally, I would keep it on charging for around 5 hours with battery less than 40%. Is this okay? Will it affect the battery life?
    Last edited by Nikhil Ramakrishnan; 04-20-2014 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Avoiding incorrect interpretation.

You are completely fine charging it overnight. The phone will only let itself charge to full and then maintain that charge, it will not overcharge.

You can keep the phone below 40% for as long as you want, it will not affect battery longevity.

Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Is it okay to charge Moto G overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    You can keep the phone below 40% for as long as you want, it will not affect battery longevity.
    Actually I meant that I would start charging when the battery is below 40%

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Ramakrishnan View Post
    Actually I meant that I would start charging when the battery is below 40%
    You can do that if you want, but it's not necessary. You can run it down lower if you desire. I usually let mine get to about 15% before I plug it in. Either way though will not affect battery longevity.

of course.OK

Sent from my UMI X3 using Tapatalk

I'm always surprised when people don't charge their primary device every night. I always plug my phone in just before going to bed -- doing otherwise just doesn't make sense.
    Oliver Hyde likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sicembaylor View Post
    I'm always surprised when people don't charge their primary device every night. I always plug my phone in just before going to bed -- doing otherwise just doesn't make sense.
    If your planning on keeping a phone for 3 + years and have say an iphone 5 or HTC M7 or M8 charging the phone overnight will kill the battery eventually and much faster then if you charged it and then took it off at 100%

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

I charge it overnight. If I take it off the charger at 100% - A) that point could be while I'm sleeping, and B) I really like to leave the house at 100% each time.

I'm not terribly worried about battery life. Could well have a new phone at some point anyway.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Closingracer View Post
    If your planning on keeping a phone for 3 + years and have say an iphone 5 or HTC M7 or M8 charging the phone overnight will kill the battery eventually and much faster then if you charged it and then took it off at 100%
    Can't we get the battery replaced in case it loses its life?
    It can be replaced by a service center right?

These phones will regulate charging, you can't overcharge the battery. It's perfectly fine charging overnight, I've NEVER had a battery go bad on any phone in over 5 years.

These phones will regulate charging, you can't overcharge the battery. It's perfectly fine charging overnight, I've NEVER had a battery go bad on any phone in over 5 years.

I've had my phone battery life decrease over time... Considering most people in the US upgrade every 2 years isn't a big deal but if you are one of the people who keep phones longer battery life will decrease a noticeable about after 2 years

Sent from my SM-N900T

Can't we get the battery replaced in case it loses its life?
    It can be replaced by a service center right?
    And after the 1 year warranty? (Idk about moto x) but on non removable batteries that's a fairly decent charge they pass onto you

Sent from my SM-N900T

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

IIRC, Motorola charges $49 for out of warranty battery replacement.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Had the phone charging overnight, and kept it on the charger as usual. Early this morning, the phone (at 100%) was very hot.

Checked the temperature thanks to GSam Battery Monitor, and it was 102 degrees!!

Took it off the charger and went back to sleep. It got down to 77 degrees and is cool to the touch again (and still at 99%).
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
    Had the phone charging overnight, and kept it on the charger as usual. Early this morning, the phone (at 100%) was very hot.

Checked the temperature thanks to GSam Battery Monitor, and it was 102 degrees!!

Took it off the charger and went back to sleep. It got down to 77 degrees and is cool to the touch again (and still at 99%).
    Doesn't happen with me when I charge it overnight. Not until now at least. How long (hours) did you keep it for charging?

Any modern battery regulates itself, meaning that once charged to 100% it will go down to about 95% then charge back up to 100% then rinse and repeat. It is literally impossible to overcharge your phone. Don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutawer View Post
    Any modern battery regulates itself, meaning that once charged to 100% it will go down to about 95% then charge back up to 100% then rinse and repeat. It is literally impossible to overcharge your phone. Don't worry about it.

That still isn't good for the battery ....

Moto G have A built in Non removable battery. So charging overnight won't make any issue for the battery life. It won't break down or pop up. Its also recommended in the Moto Care Tip to charge overnight so that you can used phone for a whole day next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Deepak Nayak View Post
    Moto G have A built in Non removable battery. So charging overnight won't make any issue for the battery life. It won't break down or pop up. Its also recommended in the Moto Care Tip to charge overnight so that you can used phone for a whole day next day.
    How is built in mean any different? My iPod color died about 13 months after I bought it which I was just after the year warranty... Batteries will die and technically charging it over night could affect battery life. The 2 phones I have owned the longest was the iPhone 4 for 20 months and galaxy s2 skyrocket for about 10 Months I did notice a decrease of battery life of those phones around 9-10 months.... I personally will only buy phones with removable batteries or at the very least easy to replace like the nexus 5

Sent from my SM-N900T

ROM
    ICS 4.0.5

That still isn't good for the battery ....
    I always charge mine over nite and in the case of my Nexus 4 have noticed no difference in battery life.

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts

Doesn't happen with me when I charge it overnight. Not until now at least. How long (hours) did you keep it for charging?
    It was a few hours...about 10 PM until about 3 AM or so.

This never happened before, and hasn't happened since I posted that.

Quote Originally Posted by paulw3 View Post
    I always charge mine over nite and in the case of my Nexus 4 have noticed no difference in battery life.
    Really depends... I have noticed my iPhone 4 started to lose battery faster around 18 months after I bought it and my s2 skyrocket in about a year

Sent from my SM-N900T

Really depends... I have noticed my iPhone 4 started to lose battery faster around 18 months after I bought it and my s2 skyrocket in about a year

Sent from my SM-N900T
    And both those phones are from 2011. Batteries today are far better and last far longer than they used to. Limiting yourself to only buying phones with removable/easy to replace batteries is really only hurting your options for devices. Personally I've never had a decrease in battery life enough to really make that much of a difference, including my galaxy fascinate from way back when (which I still have and the battery works just fine and lasts plenty long). Just saying

And both those phones are from 2011. Batteries today are far better and last far longer than they used to. Limiting yourself to only buying phones with removable/easy to replace batteries is really only hurting your options for devices. Personally I've never had a decrease in battery life enough to really make that much of a difference, including my galaxy fascinate from way back when (which I still have and the battery works just fine and lasts plenty long). Just saying

Idc about limiting myself and am happy with my Note 3

Sent from my SM-N900T

Idc about limiting myself and am happy with my Note 3

Sent from my SM-N900T
    And that's completely fine, I was simply stating the facts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast