google search on my moto g not finding contacts

jakemonO

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
When I use google search and type in a contact name, I used to get that contact at the top of the search results and be able to click through to dial that person. I don't know exactly when that stopped working but for the last month or so, the only way for me to search contacts is directly from the contacts app. In the phone search tab of the google settings app, the contacts app is not even listed, which -I don't know that it ever was- I find incongruous. All I see is Chrome, Play Books and Play Music.

This is an important basic functionality that is broken for me, anyone have any ideas?

I have Kitkat 4.4.3 and the following linked sync accounts:
facebook
linkedin
youmail
whatsapp
jabber
+3 google accounts

(in case one of those providers is causing a known issue)

Screenshot_2014-06-09-09-55-24.png

Any help is appreciated.

(cross post from android forums)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's kind of weird. Go to Settings/Accounts-Google, select any of your Google accounts, then make sure Contacts is checked in that list.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How about removing your Google account, then adding it back?

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

jakemonO

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I've been on with Mtorola support all morning. I've actually did a factory reset. If anything, the problem is worse as now all I see in the google phone search app listing is play music

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This may seem like a stupid question, but are you sure your Google Search version is up to date? If a Google system app has never been updated, it won't necessarily prompt you--you have to look for it yourself. Go to the Google Play Store and search for Google Search, and see if there is an Update button. Or go to Settings>Apps>All, select Google Search, and tell us what version it is. Mine is 3.4.16.1149292.arm.

jakemonO

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I checked and I have the latest version. Its definitely a 4.4.3 incompatibility as Motorola actually sent me a new phone that worked fine until I (stupidly) did the 4.4.3 upgrade this morning and now I'm back to square one. Is there any way for me to downgrade from 4.4.3?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz