Moto G Kit Kat 4.4.4 first impressions

Harvinder Sunila

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Just got an update from 4.4.2 to 4.4.4 for my unlocked Moto G in the UK, running on an EE sim card.

Download and install was fine with no problems, it seemed to take longer than the update from Jelly Bean to Kit Kat which concerned me while it was doing the install but everything is fine.
I was a bit annoyed that they had updated the gallery, I purposely didn't install the new gallery from the Play store because I prefered the original one, I suppose I'll get used to it. The new contacts page is ok, although I'm not convinced the multi colours fit in with the rest of the android design look, again I'll probably get used to it.
A couple of things I did notice is how much faster the phone is, apps are opening a lot faster than before. Some apps like my Yahoo mail app has always been slow to open, but now it's instant. Chrome has speeded up considerably, my phone isn't full of lots ofapps, I try and keep it down to those I really use, but yeah a definite and obvious speed increase in general use.
One thing I noticed, which may well be connected with the speed increase, is that my phone is heating up more than before...a few minutes on instagram and I can feel the heat which didn't happen to that extent before the update. I checked in developer settings to se if the update had increased any animation/transition scales but they're the same as before.
Anyway, those are my initial thoughts.
I'm glad Motorola are still providing updates for the Moto G, hopefully we'll get "L" whenever that comes out.

Harv.!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gw0lgn

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I can't see much of a change except the dialer is different but the phone does seem quicker in general use.

Posted via Android Central App

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
A nice little touch is the ability to hide the carrier name in the status bar now - Settings / More/ Mobile Networks / uncheck Show Mobile Network.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Very good review, and thank you.

As I don't use the stock launcher, dialler, messaging etc. a lot of the update doesn't apply to me, but since downloading it yesterday evening its most definitely faster with apps in particular opening a lot quicker.

As mentioned the facility to hide the carrier name is a brilliant touch, although if you're on the Three network like me obviously not so much of an issue.

Anyway, looking good so far....

Sent from my XT1032 using AC Forums mobile app

Jessentric

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Any idea how one can update a rooted Moto G? I called their customer support & they told me its not possible to update a rooted Motorola device through OTA.

Also with regards to 4.4.4, does it cause battery drain?

Thanks

John Garnett

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I've just updated and noticed the annoying persistant icon in notifacation bar after you've removed an card reader has cleared now!
Not a major concern but annoying!!
JohnG

baldpaul

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
With regards battery drain, mine is now back to the same rate of drain that I had on jellybean i.e. it lasts ages. On jellybean I could get 48 hours out of the battery with my typical usage. Following the upgrade to KitKat that went down to 24 hours (I did a couple of factory resets too with no difference). But on 4.4.4 I am back to 48 hours and I haven't done a factory reset either. So I'm very happy with it.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Definitely a slightly better battery life compared to 4.4.2, but I never really had any complaints for 4.4.2. Again easy 48 hours life now with 4-5 hours screen on in that time - best screen on since the update is just over 10 hours now. Was probably about 10-20% less under 4.4.2.

Also I think there is a change in app access to more advanced battery stats as it looks like third party apps can once again access some wakelock details (kernel wakelocks) without root. Thought that was gone for good with KitKat.

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Bah - still one outstanding and very annoying bug that's been with me since JB - Use GPS for more than about 15 minutes and (for me) about 3 times out of 10 the battery will continue draining at an inflated rate after GPS is closed down (extra 1 to 2% per hour drain) until the phone is rebooted.

kitkatkid

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
A quick review of posts on AC about the Moto G's performance shows some people have faced the following issues (one or more) - I've included URLs where it could. Can you guys please see if you're facing any of these issues?

1. Phone heating up (battery and display both, ranging from somewhat-warm to HOT)
2. Wi-Fi connectivity issues, particularly loss of range or frequent disconnections (this seems to be solved by clearing the cache)
3. Problems with auto screen rotation
4. Music player not playing some files, perhaps .wma files or pirated music (?)
5. Google Hangouts freezing
6. Battery draining

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Nope, other than the battery drain sometimes after GPS use which isn't new to 4.4.4 (don't use Hangouts though, and only use Play Music for all Access, use DSub and SubSonic for personal music collection)

RJDG14

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
For some reason the phone now seems to be unable to open WMV videos via the gallery. Has Microsoft made Motorola remove this function for license issues?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888