Does Pay As You Go Moto G Play Support NFC?

jdanniel

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello, everyone. This morning, I purchased a pay as you go Verizon-compatible Moto G Play phone. The main reason I got it was for NFC support. (Near Field Compatibility.)

The salesman at Best Buy assured me this phone does support NFC.

After charging it and activating it, I went to the Motorola web site, to see how to enable NFC on this phone. It says to go into Settings/More and turn on NFC.

I will be darned if I can find a NFC option there. In fact, I cannot find NFC options anywhere in Settings. Unless I missed it somewhere.

Can anyone please tell me if this phone does, in fact, have NFC support? If it does not, I do not need it and will go back to my previous phone.

This phone has Android 6.0.1, and if it helps, the build number is:

MPIS 24.241-2.35-1-3

Am I missing the NFC option somewhere? Thank you for your help. J. Danniel

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi @jdanniel!

Yes- you're in the correct spot to turn on NFC (if it were available) Settings > More > NFC > Turn on NFC

The US version of the Moto G series does not have NFC (UK version does I believe). Since the G series is a deemed a "budget phone" this is one of the features that is omitted. If you see Android Pay on the device its just due to the fact Moto/Lenovo uses a stock build of Android. For example, my Moto G5 Plus has Android Pay pre installed, but NFC is not an option on the device.

bmhillegass87

Q&A Team
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Additionally, if you open the Android Pay app you can test it. It will come up with a message that says something like "Android Pay is not supported".

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello, everyone. This morning, I purchased a pay as you go Verizon-compatible Moto G Play phone. The main reason I got it was for NFC support. (Near Field Compatibility.)

The salesman at Best Buy assured me this phone does support NFC.

After charging it and activating it, I went to the Motorola web site, to see how to enable NFC on this phone. It says to go into Settings/More and turn on NFC.

I will be darned if I can find a NFC option there. In fact, I cannot find NFC options anywhere in Settings. Unless I missed it somewhere.

Can anyone please tell me if this phone does, in fact, have NFC support? If it does not, I do not need it and will go back to my previous phone.

This phone has Android 6.0.1, and if it helps, the build number is:

MPIS 24.241-2.35-1-3

Am I missing the NFC option somewhere? Thank you for your help. J. Danniel

You had bad information from Best Buy. There is no NFC on the US Moto G4 Play.