Considering the G4 Plus

Davide Carozza

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Update: Okay, got it narrowed down to the G4 Plus and the Nexus 5X. Can get the G4 Plus for $225 + tax, or the Nexus 5X for $289 including tax. That's a small price difference, and the 5X is much more powerful, but I like the customization options on the Moto and the camera. Opinions?

Hey all, I'm looking to buy a new phone and having trouble deciding between the Moto G4, G4 Plus, X PE and the LG Nexus 5X. I would also consider buying a last model year flagship device. All these options can be had in a fairly narrow price band, so I have no clue how to get the best value. I care about camera quality but otherwise only use my phone for texting, calling and browsing--no games at all, nothing too media intensive in any other way. That's got me leaning to the G4 Plus, since I know the camera is an improvement, especially in low light, compared to the other Moto phones and some of last year's flagships. Thoughts? Thanks for any help you might offer.

Last edited:

Hunta_00

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Hey all, I'm looking to buy a new phone and having trouble deciding between the G4, G4 Plus and Moto X PE. I would also consider buying a last model year flagship device. All these options can be had in a fairly narrow price band, so I have no clue how to get the best value. I care about camera quality but otherwise only use my phone for texting, calling and browsing--no games at all, nothing too media intensive in any other way. That's got me leaning to the G4 Plus, since I know the camera is an improvement, especially in low light, compared to the other Moto phones and some of last year's flagships. Thoughts? Thanks for any help you might offer.

cupofcloud

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't the G4 Plus have the better camera? Or do you just mean the G4 line?

G⁴ Plus does have a better camera but the g⁴ camera would be just as nice for me, a casual photograph taker. The regular G⁴'s camera is definitely a step up in quality than the previous G³

Anyway, I definitely recommend the g⁴ plus. Hopefully you'll get a 'good one' that doesn't have the touch screen issues. Chances are you will get one that's fine, but there are a bunch with this issue. Something to keep in mind.

BillJude56

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had my G4 Plus for 2 weeks and really like it. I agree that the camera is good. Very little to no lag overall as well. Just be aware that there are a few excluded features: NFC, LED light, and compass. None were deal breakers for me, although the lack of a compass rules out using stargazing apps which I have done occasionally.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Just rooted my G4 Plus this morning. There does't seem to be a lot, if any, ROMs out there yet but hopefully there will be before too long.

Devils Advocate

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
tadpoles, may I ask where I can find root instructions and ROMs for this phone, I used to root my HTC Thunderbolt frequently when it was a newer device but haven't rooted in a long long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995