Nova Launcher Moto G4 Plus

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
The weather on the Pixel look alike screen with Nova Launcher does not update regularly and sometimes change to a '?' above the date.
How to get it to work correctly ?
Thanks in advance.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi and welcome to Android Central. What weather widget are you using?

Hi & thanks for your quick reply.
I am using the Pixel look alike weather widget in Nova Launcher.If I use Chronus it updates normally but the Pixel widget does not,as I mentioned in my first post.I am using Pixel icon pack by Saurabh Gupta. Here is the screenshot-

Attachments

• 11693.jpg
    11693.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 42

sbs8331

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The weather widget has been moved to beta. It sometimes does not update correctly. You need to make sure you have GPS enabled for it to work at all. Some have said that it will update hourly, but only if the temperature has changed by a certain amount (not sure). There are lots of posts about it in the Nova Launcher Google+ Beta Community

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
The weather widget has been moved to beta. It sometimes does not update correctly. You need to make sure you have GPS enabled for it to work at all. Some have said that it will update hourly, but only if the temperature has changed by a certain amount (not sure). There are lots of posts about it in the Nova Launcher Google+ Beta Community
Thanks for your reply and the link.
Yes I noticed that it is in 'Labs' now and is supposed to update hourly.But it doesn't update even after two or three hours when temperature has changed by more than 3 degrees though I have location turned on.The temperature stays constant and after sometime changes to a '?'.
Are others having the same problem too ?
I will check out the link you have posted.
P.S - I have not opted for the beta version.Weather is in 'Labs'.

sbs8331

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes I noticed that it is in 'Labs' now and is supposed to update hourly.But it doesn't update even after two or three hours when temperature has changed by more than 3 degrees though I have location turned on.The temperature stays constant and after sometime changes to a '?'.
Are others having the same problem too ?
Yes. To the frustration of some on that site, it's been reported a myriad of times. Some users don't know how to do a search before they post an error. Anyway, one workaround is to use the Pill search widget, combined with something like the smaller widget that comes with Chronus. It doesn't look exactly the same but is a better weather widget and may satisfy the desire to have the search and weather on the same horizontal plane. My suggestion for Nova would be to see if they would work in a setting to control how often the weather is refreshed and/or the ability to refresh manually. When I tested its widget earlier, I found that refreshing Google weather via the widget didn't result in the widget itself being refreshed.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Yes. To the frustration of some on that site, it's been reported a myriad of times. Some users don't know how to do a search before they post an error. Anyway, one workaround is to use the Pill search widget, combined with something like the smaller widget that comes with Chronus. It doesn't look exactly the same but is a better weather widget and may satisfy the desire to have the search and weather on the same horizontal plane. My suggestion for Nova would be to see if they would work in a setting to control how often the weather is refreshed and/or the ability to refresh manually. When I tested its widget earlier, I found that refreshing Google weather via the widget didn't result in the widget itself being refreshed.

I too found that refreshing Google weather doesn't refresh the Pixel weather widget. I hope that Nova looks into this problem soon as the purpose of having the widget on the home screen is lost. I will be using only the Pixel date widget and use Chronus for clock and weather till Nova solves the problem.
Thanks again for your help .

sbs8331

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I found this, Pixel Pill Pro Widget, on the play store. It includes a weather option that also has a refresh frequency setting. It's not clear what weather service it uses, and it doesn't give any weather details, but it may be an option for those who want to mimic the Pixel look.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I found this, Pixel Pill Pro Widget, on the play store. It includes a weather option that also has a refresh frequency setting. It's not clear what weather service it uses, and it doesn't give any weather details, but it may be an option for those who want to mimic the Pixel look.

Thank you for the suggestion.I am trying it out to get the clean look on the homescreen.However,touching the widget does not lead to the detailed weather and the app /widget cannot detect location to get the weather.I will update my post later.
I found this link about the weather in Nova ,it seems fixing the weather on Nova will not occur soon.
https://plus.google.com/111854775194774664196/posts/F5A8V2iMMtr

sbs8331

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestion.I am trying it out to get the clean look on the homescreen.However,touching the widget does not lead to the detailed weather and the app /widget cannot detect location to get the weather.I will update my post later.
I found this link about the weather in Nova ,it seems fixing the weather on Nova will not occur soon.
https://plus.google.com/111854775194774664196/posts/F5A8V2iMMtr
I haven't tried it, but if you have Zooper, there's a widget for it that mimics Pixel that can be found here.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I haven't tried it, but if you have Zooper, there's a widget for it that mimics Pixel that can be found here.

There seem to be many options once you do a search.
I do not have Zooper till now.I have reverted back to Chronus because the widget updates flawlessly.The Pixel Pill Pro widget did not work very well after updating correctly a few times.The temperature turned 0 degree Celsius when it was nowhere around that temperature in my city.
I have bookmarked the Zooper link you have posted in case I need it later.Thanks again for providing me so many alternatives !

sbs8331

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
One other option: There's an XWidget skin that contains the date, found here. I modified it to include the weather. An image is attached. The modified one can be found here. Merry Christmas.

Screenshot_20161219-163321.jpg

Last edited:

sbs8331

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This is very nice !
I have X widgets and I have the Pixel L skin too.How do I get it to look like yours ? Is it working normally ?
Merry Christmas to you too !
The 2nd link in my post will take you here: XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - Pixel L with Weather. Download the xwp file to the folder XWidget -> Widgets on your device. Use this procedure to install an XWidget widget on your device: In XWidget, click the 3 dots on the upper right and select "Create Widget". In the upper left, change from "Edit" to "Files", and install the xwp file. Exit completely out of the XWidget Editor and, back on the "Select Widget" screen click the 3 dots again and select "Refresh List". You should see the widget "Pixel L with Weather" as one to be selected. Enjoy.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
The 2nd link in my post will take you here: XWidgetSoft Forum • View topic - Pixel L with Weather. Download the xwp file to the folder XWidget -> Widgets on your device. Use this procedure to install an XWidget widget on your device: In XWidget, click the 3 dots on the upper right and select "Create Widget". In the upper left, change from "Edit" to "Files", and install the xwp file. Exit completely out of the XWidget Editor and, back on the "Select Widget" screen click the 3 dots again and select "Refresh List". You should see the widget "Pixel L with Weather" as one to be selected. Enjoy.

Thanks for the instructions !
I might try it out or wait for XWidget developer to upload it as he has said.

sbs8331

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the instructions !
I might try it out or wait for XWidget developer to upload it as he has said.
It works, but Jimking may clean it up a little. Of course, like all XWidget skins, it uses Accuweather. There are three hotspots on the widget. Tapping the Google icon will, of course, invoke Google. Tapping the weather conditions icon shows the weather details, and tapping on the temperature will refresh the weather.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
It works, but Jimking may clean it up a little. Of course, like all XWidget skins, it uses Accuweather. There are three hotspots on the widget. Tapping the Google icon will, of course, invoke Google. Tapping the weather conditions icon shows the weather details, and tapping on the temperature will refresh the weather.

I prefer AccuWeather as it gives accurate results for my area.

sbs8331

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I prefer AccuWeather as it gives accurate results for my area.
The ones that work best where I live are Accuweather and Weather Underground. Others are unreliable. Open Weather Map is all over the place, and Foreca consistently shows temperatures 5-7 degrees F higher than actuality.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
The ones that work best where I live are Accuweather and Weather Underground. Others are unreliable. Open Weather Map is all over the place, and Foreca consistently shows temperatures 5-7 degrees F higher than actuality.

MSN weather worked very well on my Windows 10 mobile.I am new to Android and find AccuWeather good for my Moto G4 Plus

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site

Chronus has a nice Pixel Pill and weather widget too since the last few updates.The best part is that everything works very well in the widget.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae