Android Updates ?

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Anyone that already has 7.0 can you possibly share some opinions on how the device is running?
Do you notice any performance issues? Good and bad opinions.
Also battery life. Has it improved? Good and bad opinions are appreciated.

Hoping we see it soon in the US!!!

I feel that my Moto G4 Plus is doing better on 7.0 than on MM . Mine is a 3GB /32 GB phone and I got the update back in Dec in India.
Battery life is fine, giving me a full day with medium usage with 30% to 35% remaining and about 1.5 days or more with​ light usage.
Hope you get the update soon.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
One problem I am facing is that apps do not update in Play Store on roaming after Nougat though there is no problem on wifi.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
One problem I am facing is that apps do not update in Play Store on roaming after Nougat though there is no problem on wifi.
I have that issue now on 6.0, just learned to live with it. Not saying that's an answer just saying what I did.

I really wonder how much longer it will be before we get to see 7.0 roll out in the US.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I have that issue now on 6.0, just learned to live with it. Not saying that's an answer just saying what I did.

I really wonder how much longer it will be before we get to see 7.0 roll out in the US.

Is it a Play Store issue then if it's happening both on MM and N ?
By the way, is your Moto G4 Plus on 6.0 or 6.0.1 ? Mine was 6.0.1 before the 7.0 update.
I really wonder why it is taking so long for Motorola to roll out the update worldwide.There doesn't seem to be any major problem with the phones they have updated that they have to rectify.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Is it a Play Store issue then if it's happening both on MM and N ?
By the way, is your Moto G4 Plus on 6.0 or 6.0.1 ? Mine was 6.0.1 before the 7.0 update.
I really wonder why it is taking so long for Motorola to roll out the update worldwide.There doesn't seem to be any major problem with the phones they have updated that they have to rectify.
Yep when I posted 6.0 I meant 6.0.1

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm beginning to think we won't see 7.0 until G5 is released with 7.0.

Im just guessing but from a marketing point it would make sense.

Rinsun

Trusted Member
Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I meant launched in US. Sorry should have said that.

Sorry I should have understood also.
But 7.0 has been rolled out to India 3 months back and it was a smooth process so there is no reason why Motorola is not updating all the Moto G4 and G4 Plus phones.

dhartsock

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Got Nougat on the 23rd. No problems so far. I saw an immediate improvement in battery life. This phone has not had a SIM in it yet. If I put in a drawer fully charged that evening it would be down to about 55%. After the update it was at 92% in the evening. Quite the difference.

Matt413

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Got my update 2 days ago. Battery life is better. First few months of having the phone had excellent battery life, then it declined a bit in the past month, maybe the physical battery? Now it's back to great!

Issue: iHeartRadio won't play now. It acts like it will play, then just sits there at zero seconds like it's paused. I can skip to the next song, change artists etc, but it just won't play. I reloaded iheart to no avail.

Any similar problems?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Got Nougat on the 23rd. No problems so far. I saw an immediate improvement in battery life. This phone has not had a SIM in it yet. If I put in a drawer fully charged that evening it would be down to about 55%. After the update it was at 92% in the evening. Quite the difference.
Are you guys in the US?
Got my update 2 days ago. Battery life is better. First few months of having the phone had excellent battery life, then it declined a bit in the past month, maybe the physical battery? Now it's back to great!

Issue: iHeartRadio won't play now. It acts like it will play, then just sits there at zero seconds like it's paused. I can skip to the next song, change artists etc, but it just won't play. I reloaded iheart to no avail.

Any similar problems?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I am in the US. I think the improved Doze is responsible for the improved battery life I am seeing.
Thank you. This gives me some hope of eventually it being pushed out to the rest of us. My issue is the security update that comes with it. I am still on security update from July 2016.

I like the phone and easily get 24 hours out a charge. I do think 7.0 should increase that a little. However because of the security update being so far behind it bothers me. So if it isn't pushed soon I will probably make an attempt at unlocking it, and load it. Or just switch back to Z Play or Z Force and put this on the shelf for awhile.

Hoping to see many posts soon saying people are seeing it.

dhartsock

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Mind if I ask what carrier you use? I bought the G4 plus to use on T-Mobile but am being told it won't be supported due to some issue with VoLTE.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Verizon. VoLTE works fine. I have the same issues as some others where it won't update or download an app unless I am connected to WiFi. But other than that I don't notice any issues.

I will say that I had to ask Verizon to add VoLTE when I activated the phone. The option wasnt in settings at first, took about 10 minutes to show up.

dhartsock

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks...

I checked with t-mobile and the IMEI number is considered invalid by them. What I have read is that Motorola has not done the VoLTE certification that t-mobile requires... or something to that effect. I will throw my SIM in the G4 Plus and see what happens. Will be mightily unhappy if this new unlocked phone that listed T-Mobile as a supported carrier will not work. Don't know if the G5 will be the same story or not.