Moto G (fifth generation/2017)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is announcing a new phone at Mobile World Congress in February | Android Central

It's possible it may be another Moto X product, or a variant of the Moto M, which was released in Asia late last year, but the likely scenario is a new Moto G, which is due for a refresh after the successful Moto G4 and G4 Plus.

Moto G5 & Moto G5 Plus LEAK Ahead of Q1 Launch: Specs & Photos | Know Your Mobile

Amongst the details is an expected March release date, a 5.5in 1080p display, Android 7.0 Nougat, a fingerprint scanner, 13MP and 5MP cameras, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 CPU, 4GB RAM, 32GB storage, and a battery rated at 3,080mAh.

The Moto G5 Plus has leaked again on January 12, this time an official looking press render style image - as you can see it looks pretty much like what we've seen before.

Moto G5 Plus specs shown to include Snapdragon 625 SoC | Pocketnow

A quick look at the “About phone” menu seemingly reveals 4GB RAM, 32GB internal storage space, Full HD display resolution, 12/5MP cameras, and NFC support, with CPU-Z information further including Android 7.0 and a Snapdragon 625 SoC.

Too close to last year’s features? Perhaps, although the SD625 processor is actually a pretty big upgrade over the 617, 14nm architecture, eight 2 GHz Cortex-A53 CPU cores, Adreno 506 GPU and all. It’s also worth pointing out that the 4 gig RAM G4 Plus SKU provided 64GB digital hoarding room, making a lower price possible for a multitasking-friendly configuration with 32GB ROM this time around.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I think the specs are good. Launching with Android Nougat is the first plus. Sure a 626 or higher would have been nice but the 4GB RAM and will help the device in the long run. Im excited for it and i think it will all comes down to price. :)

Looks like MWC will be a great couple days. Lots been launched.

Vyrlokar

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2015 Moto G. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to the 2017 model. I'm still bitter that my phone won't get nougat despite the 2016 play, that is ALMOST equal hardware wise, WILL get Nougat...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Expected specs: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/02/15/moto-g5-plus-specs-pricing-availability/

At a basic level, you have two mid-range phones with decent sets of specs set in “precision-crafted metal design” bodies. They feature 1080p displays, 2GB RAM, fast charging, fingerprint readers, microSD slots, and will come in grey or gold colorways. They differ a bit in size in a few areas. For example, the Moto G5 has a 5-inch FHD display, 32GB storage, 2800mAh battery, and Snapdragon 430 processor. The Moto G5 Plus, on the other hand, has a 5.2-inch FHD display, 64GB storage, 3000mAh battery, NFC chip, and Snapdragon 625 processor. I wouldn’t be shocked if there is a 4GB RAM version of the G5 Plus as well, but this listing doesn’t mention it.

EKhatch

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know when the Moto G5 (not Plus version) will be available and if it will work on Verizon? It's hard to search when 90% of the results are for the Plus version.

Thanks

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know when the Moto G5 (not Plus version) will be available and if it will work on Verizon? It's hard to search when 90% of the results are for the Plus version.

Thanks

I don't think the non Plus version are looking is coming to the US at all.

EKhatch

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
That's a bummer. Looking to replace my aging 2013 Moto X with something not quite as large as the Plus version. Thanks for the reply.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
That's a bummer. Looking to replace my aging 2013 Moto X with something not quite as large as the Plus version. Thanks for the reply.

I was on the same boat (returned the 2nd Gen after 2 weeks bc of the size) decided to extend my OG X life by replacing the battery twice. in the end, dealing with horrendous battery life, completely burnt-in screen (useless in sunlight), terrible camera and lack of updates, I gave up and bought Moto X Pure. I ended up hating to type (I used to Swype super fast)) but loving the fact I can't keep it in pockets anymore. these things are dangerous to keep close to your body , so it makes it easier to keep it away :) now, I'm forced to upgrade because XPE also has a poor battery life.
I'm kinda leaning towards the Z Play (borrowing from my wife often :)) , but this is really attractive phone especially at this price. you definitely can't find anything in this size to replace your X. I also have a problem leaving Moto Display and losing the great Moto Radios for US (especially VZW).
While I was playing with it last night in store , I was happy to see that I can actually ​manage swyping with one hand at least. Still, in overall single hand use, I would be as frustrated as with XPE and Z Play.