Has anyone put their G5 Plus on Verizon

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Wondering as the title states if anyone has had luck getting a Verizon SIM to work. I know nothing about CDMA bands and want to make sure if I buy it unlocked it will 100% work on Verizon..
Thanks all

FtLaudMale

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
I purchased a G5 Plus and inserted my Verizon Nano SIM and connected it to the network without incident. The only problem I have encountered (so far) is with the Verizon Cloud App. Their Cloud was useless anyway (read the Play Store Reviews), but I was using it successfully for contacts backup. Long story short, my contacts would not restore to the new phone. My call to Verizon revealed that their Cloud App does not support the Moto G5 Plus (not now, maybe in the future). Luckily my previous phone was still functional and I was able to save the contacts to .vcard and import them into Google Contacts. Now, all is well and I am loving my G5 Plus on the Verizon network.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I purchased a G5 Plus and inserted my Verizon Nano SIM and connected it to the network without incident. The only problem I have encountered (so far) is with the Verizon Cloud App. Their Cloud was useless anyway (read the Play Store Reviews), but I was using it successfully for contacts backup. Long story short, my contacts would not restore to the new phone. My call to Verizon revealed that their Cloud App does not support the Moto G5 Plus (not now, maybe in the future). Luckily my previous phone was still functional and I was able to save the contacts to .vcard and import them into Google Contacts. Now, all is well and I am loving my G5 Plus on the Verizon network.

Your experience is pretty much the same as mine when I put my 5X on Verizon. I just popped in the sim and turned it on. I never used any of the Verizon apps so I can't speak to how any of them worked. I'll be putting my own G5 Plus on the network after it gets delivered next Monday.

Last edited:

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I picked up my G5 Plus 64GB tonight at Best Buy to find out they won't stock cases for it because it is not popular enough.. So I came home and ordered a case and screen protector from Amazon.

Maynardjam

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine about week now and mostly love it. Hooking to Verizon was seamless. Bought a Verizon sim at a Verizon licensed store for $10, and the guy set it up in less than ten minutes.
So all in for the Amazon purchased phone, case, 2 pack of screen protectors, plus the sim was about $220 out of pocket. Less than the DEDUCTIBLE on a new insured flagship!

My only two gripes so far, I haven't totally got the hang of swiping the home button, and I think my glass protector is in the way a lil.
And I cant figure out how to to import sound files to use as ringtones/notifications.
Just a couple of jiggly things that don't outweigh the pros.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I picked up my G5 Plus 64GB tonight at Best Buy to find out they won't stock cases for it because it is not popular enough.. So I came home and ordered a case and screen protector from Amazon.

Yeah that's always an issue. Staples or Best Buy only carry Samsung and iPhone cases. I just bought an Incipio NGP for my incoming G5 Plus. Incipio doesn't have a Dual Pro available for it yet. It should be here a day or two after the phone arrives. I've had good luck with Incipio.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

No offense, but let this be a lesson to everybody to use Google contacts.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine about week now and mostly love it. Hooking to Verizon was seamless. Bought a Verizon sim at a Verizon licensed store for $10, and the guy set it up in less than ten minutes.
So all in for the Amazon purchased phone, case, 2 pack of screen protectors, plus the sim was about $220 out of pocket. Less than the DEDUCTIBLE on a new insured flagship!

My only two gripes so far, I haven't totally got the hang of swiping the home button, and I think my glass protector is in the way a lil.
And I cant figure out how to to import sound files to use as ringtones/notifications.
Just a couple of jiggly things that don't outweigh the pros.

This is the easiest workaround for me. Plug you phone into your computer, make sure you select the transfer files options on your phone. Then drag and drop your sound files into the ringtones and/or notifications folder.

FtLaudMale

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
No offense taken... Prior to adding the Moto G5 Plus to my Verizon Account, I was getting 25 GB free Cloud Storage. Backup space I thought might come in handy at some point - whenever they fixed their issues. After adding the G5, my Cloud Storage went to 0 GB (Verizon Cloud does not support the device). I had issues with some of the Google Contacts shortcomings in the past but I will learn to live with them after almost losing all of my contacts by relying on Verizon.
Bottom line, if you are using Verizon Cloud for anything, make sure you have a backup of your data before you add your Moto G5 Plus to their network because you will lose it all.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No offense taken... Prior to adding the Moto G5 Plus to my Verizon Account, I was getting 25 GB free Cloud Storage. Backup space I thought might come in handy at some point - whenever they fixed their issues. After adding the G5, my Cloud Storage went to 0 GB (Verizon Cloud does not support the device). I had issues with some of the Google Contacts shortcomings in the past but I will learn to live with them after almost losing all of my contacts by relying on Verizon.
Bottom line, if you are using Verizon Cloud for anything, make sure you have a backup of your data before you add your Moto G5 Plus to their network because you will lose it all.

With all the free options available, I don't see any reason why anyone would use Verizon's cloud storage option - especially if it's a paid option.

eddiea

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I had to go to the Verizon store to get a Nano SIM card (free of charge) because my other phone (LG G3) used a Micro SIM. Everything worked without a hitch except when I got home I realized my Visual Voicemail didn't work (the app kept force-closing immediately) but I got it up and running quickly after chatting online with Verizon...it seems they had to re-activate that feature since for whatever reason it got deactivated after switching the SIM. I ordered the 64GB Lunar Grey version from Amazon just before midnight on 4/12 and received it the next day.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I just put my G5 Plus on Verizon yesterday. All I did was remove the sim from my Nexus 5X and put it in the G5. Came right up. I will have to look into the 911 thing though. That is messed up.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Heads up for you Verizon users, apparently you can't call 911 with the G5 Plus unless you go online and turn off HD voice. I'm taking all this info from this Reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/6604mh/moto_g5_verizon_cant_call_911_brand_new_auto/

I recommended this on Reddit, but I'm going to recommend it here as well. Please post about this issue on Lenovo/Motorola's forum. It will attract attention much quicker than simply calling in to Motorola's (mostly useless) first line support. Thanks.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/bd-p/MotoG5thGen

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I recommended this on Reddit, but I'm going to recommend it here as well. Please post about this issue on Lenovo/Motorola's forum. It will attract attention much quicker than simply calling in to Motorola's (mostly useless) first line support. Thanks.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/bd-p/MotoG5thGen

Looks like Moto has acknowledged the issue and will be providing an update to fix the problem shortly.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G...-on-Verizon-enabling-911-calling/td-p/3646453

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Kind of disappointed AC hasn't done an article/story about this. Probably thousands don't have any idea.

Edit: well they finally did post something.

Last edited:

FtLaudMale

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
After reading about the VZ 911 issue (and my previous VZ Cloud issue), I decided to do some deeper research into my Moto G5 Plus compatibility on the Verizon Wireless Network and here is what I have found so far.

VZ features:
Share Name ID : Compatible
HD Voice - Compatible (Disable this feature if you want to call 911)
NFL Mobile - NOT Compatible
VZ Message+ - Compatible on primary device (No Sync across devices)
INDYCAR Mobile - NOT Compatible
go90 - NOT Compatible
Stream Pass NBA - NOT Compatible
VZ Support and Protection - NOT Compatible
VZ Family Base - Compatible
Visual Voice Mail - Compatible
VZ Cloud - NOT Compatible
VZ Navigator - Compatible
Roadside Assistance - Compatible
Family Locator - Compatible
Ringback Tones - Compatible
Push To Talk Plus - Compatible
VZ Caller Name ID - NOT Compatible

I have also noticed that I do not have 4G LTE (or any LTE) signal while WiFi is enabled. I am still researching that issue.

I hope that VZ and Lenovo/Moto figure this out in the near future, but until that happens, other Verizon Wireless customers should be aware that not all of the network features you may have beeen using in the past will be available with the G5 Plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000