Has anyone put their G5 Plus on Verizon

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Kind of disappointed AC hasn't done an article/story about this. Probably thousands don't have any idea.

Edit: well they finally did post something.

One thing that I noticed in the article though is that they are telling people to turn off VoLTE on the phone. Well guess what? My phone doesn't have that setting. It's probably due to the fact that I never enabled it on any phone previously. I checked my account online to verify and it is not enabled in my account settings.

All of this seems to add up as to why the setting isn't on my phone.

Edit: The post in the Moto forums does mention the settings not appearing if you've never enabled VoLTE.

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
After reading about the VZ 911 issue (and my previous VZ Cloud issue), I decided to do some deeper research into my Moto G5 Plus compatibility on the Verizon Wireless Network and here is what I have found so far.

VZ features:
Share Name ID : Compatible
HD Voice - Compatible (Disable this feature if you want to call 911)
NFL Mobile - NOT Compatible
VZ Message+ - Compatible on primary device (No Sync across devices)
INDYCAR Mobile - NOT Compatible
go90 - NOT Compatible
Stream Pass NBA - NOT Compatible
VZ Support and Protection - NOT Compatible
VZ Family Base - Compatible
Visual Voice Mail - Compatible
VZ Cloud - NOT Compatible
VZ Navigator - Compatible
Roadside Assistance - Compatible
Family Locator - Compatible
Ringback Tones - Compatible
Push To Talk Plus - Compatible
VZ Caller Name ID - NOT Compatible

I have also noticed that I do not have 4G LTE (or any LTE) signal while WiFi is enabled. I am still researching that issue.

I hope that VZ and Lenovo/Moto figure this out in the near future, but until that happens, other Verizon Wireless customers should be aware that not all of the network features you may have beeen using in the past will be available with the G5 Plus.

As far as I'm concerned not having those apps pre-installed is the primary reason for me to get an unlocked phone. My Verizon Droid Maxx 2 had so much bloatware on it that could not be uninstalled. I ended up disabling 21 apps.

On my G5 the LTE signal bars remain while on WiFi but the letters LTE go away. As soon as I turn off WiFi the letters return.

Moto has acknowledged the issue and has promised to patch it quickly, We'll see how long it takes but I'm guessing it will be soon.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
After reading about the VZ 911 issue (and my previous VZ Cloud issue), I decided to do some deeper research into my Moto G5 Plus compatibility on the Verizon Wireless Network and here is what I have found so far.

VZ features:
go90 - NOT Compatible

I have also noticed that I do not have 4G LTE (or any LTE) signal while WiFi is enabled. I am still researching that issue.

I hope that VZ and Lenovo/Moto figure this out in the near future, but until that happens, other Verizon Wireless customers should be aware that not all of the network features you may have beeen using in the past will be available with the G5 Plus.
Sort of odd because I recall using NFL Mobile​ on my unlocked Moto X Pure Edition.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Sort of odd because I recall using NFL Mobile​ on my unlocked Moto X Pure Edition.

I've used NFL Mobile on a Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, and US unlocked Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (SM-G935U). It works perfectly. It verifies my Verizon account and allows live streaming, exactly like it does on a Verizon phone.

I also use Messages+ and it syncs perfectly across devices. The only other Verizon app I use is My Verizon. This too works perfectly, including the data usage widget.

TL;DR The Verizon apps I've used have all worked perfectly on factory unlocked phones.

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Still using my Turbo 2 which has a nice feature built in. There is a built in magnet on the back that works with a magnetic car mount. I'm assuming it's because it has wireless charging. Does the g5 plus do wireless charging and does it have a magnet built in to use with a magnetic car mount? thx!

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Still using my Turbo 2 which has a nice feature built in. There is a built in magnet on the back that works with a magnetic car mount. I'm assuming it's because it has wireless charging. Does the g5 plus do wireless charging and does it have a magnet built in to use with a magnetic car mount? thx!
No wireless charging and no magnet. It is a pretty good phone for the money.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Moto has issued a patch for the 911 over VoLTE issue. See this thread at the Moto forums.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G5-Moto-G5-Plus/Moto-G5-Plus-enabling-911-calling/td-p/3646453

Edit: Even though I downloaded and installed the patch yesterday I got a Moto alert this morning saying 911 calling over VoLTE wasn't working and a software fix was coming. I had enabled VoLTE after installing the patch to try it out as I had never used it previously. I have disabled it again pending an explanation from Moto.

Last edited:

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

VZ features:
go90 - NOT Compatible

My 14 day return hassle free at Best Buy was due up yesterday. I may not have kept it if I had know all these potential issues. Most of the time I disable the majority of these apps on a regular basis. The real problem I have is not having access to 911 as this is my teenagers phone

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My 14 day return hassle free at Best Buy was due up yesterday. I may not have kept it if I had know all these potential issues. Most of the time I disable the majority of these apps on a regular basis. The real problem I have is not having access to 911 as this is my teenagers phone

The issue only occurs if VoLTE is enabled has been patched already. See my post above yours. My phone has already been updated.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
The issue only occurs if VoLTE is enabled has been patched already. See my post above yours. My phone has already been updated.
Went to Verizon today after calling and verifying they did that had a nano Sim for the Moto G 5Plus in store. We t to store and they had to use a cutting device to make my previous micro Sim fit. Very pissed off they made me wait over 45 minutes to tell me they had none.. I would have had them call another store my we could have driven to and gotten it done faster..
--Simpler answer to your reply is as soon it came up it showed small update available and stored the advanced LTE issue was being resolved.

alex turner2

May 24, 2017
Visit site
The Moto g5 plus has terrible call quality on Verizon with enhanced calling enabled. This has been reported since early April to Moto/Lenovo. To make calls you have to disable enhanced calling option. This is a separate issue from the 911 problem. You cannot access web while on a call with enhanced calling turned off. Moto/ Lenovo has not addressed this issue and have provided no info as to when fix will be issued.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
The Moto g5 plus has terrible call quality on Verizon with enhanced calling enabled. This has been reported since early April to Moto/Lenovo. To make calls you have to disable enhanced calling option. This is a separate issue from the 911 problem. You cannot access web while on a call with enhanced calling turned off. Moto/ Lenovo has not addressed this issue and have provided no info as to when fix will be issued.

Yup. That is true. There is some talk in the Moto forum about them working on a patch to fix this issue. No timetable as of yet. And no official statement that I've seen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000