iPhone 6 compared to the G5 Plus ?

SoundsGood

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Anyone go from an iPhone 6 to the Moto G5 Plus? If so, what are your thoughts? I'm especially interested in a camera performance comparison. Thanks!

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I've never used neither so this comment is solely based on reviews and my experience with several Motorola devices.

First off the G5 Plus is a budget phone (some will also call it mid-range so let's just say it's not a flagship). So you may lose a bit on general performance (especially with the 2GB version). I'm not sure about the iPhone 6's camera performance in low light but Motorola cameras has never been very good in low light. So if your iPhone 6 is good in that respect, you'll lose a bit there too. Motorola cameras tends to also lose a bit of the color in pictures: people look paler in certain settings. They're not generally known for their cameras.

Otherwise, although I don't own a Moto G5 Plus, Motorola/Lenovo generally have great performing phones on low/mid-range budget phones. So that shouldn't be a problem as such.

Now if you're able to pay a bit more and don't absolutely need to get a Motorola device, you could also go with a OnePlus 3T or a Samsung S7 which are high end phones but that don't cost all that much. Both devices have pretty good cameras.

I personally have an S7 right now which has a great camera but am looking forward to the Moto Z2 Play that should come out in the coming months (I'm a stock Android fan and Motorola are the only devices I can affort :p). So when that comes out I'll sell my S7 to buy out my contract and get that new Motorola device (camera performance have never been really important to me).

Hope this helped!

Last edited:

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the 4GB/64GB version of the G5 Plus and I agree with what dialonde said. The G5 is a budget/mid-range device and really can't be expected to match a high end phone in every regard. The phone is fast and smooth in everyday use. The display is ok, as is the camera. Different camera apps may help a bit with picture quality but no app can make up for anything the sensor lacks.

If you're coming from an iPhone you may not be happy with a budget Android phone. As mentioned you might want to spend a bit more especially if camera performance is important to you.

I myself was looking for a decent device with tons of storage plus expandable storage that wouldn't break the bank. I just can't bring myself to spend $700 to $1000 on a phone. For my purposes the camera is fine.

Also if security patches are important don't look at Motorola. Thier record of providing patches is miserable, to say the least. I knew that going in and have a Nexus 5X which does get patched as a spare.

SoundsGood

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. Truth is I don't need the best camera on the market but I DO want a camera that is at least as good as what I've got on the iPhone 6. I don't need better, but I don't want worse. Know what I mean?

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Then you may want to look at some mid-ranges or cheaper high end like I suggested. The OnePlus 3T and S7 are cheaper than the current flagships but offer both great performance and camera. If your budget allows it of course! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463