Is this battery useage profile typical?

frozentundra1

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Wondering if this is typical? Have only had this phone for a few weeks. I usually don't pay particular attention to how power is being consumed, but I could have sworn that with other phones the screen was always the #1 power consumer. This says that "google app" and "google services" together are using nearly 3 times as much power as the screen.

Is this normal? Should I be doing something to "fix" this?

battery.jpg

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, if you never turn on the screen, the apps are still active in the background so they will use more power. You can limit them in settings by stopping background data and you may have data saver function which will limit background stuff. Auto synch is another one...
So it's largely reliant on use...

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
What kind of screen-on time (SOT) do you get if you tap on the screen button in the screen above? That might give a clue whether you are using more screen time than you thought

frozentundra1

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
That was a heavy screen use day for me. I think it was well over an hour. That's why I was surprised to see that the screen was only accounted 10% of battery use over that 12 hour period. My phone was down to about 30% charge. "Google App" and "Google Services" accounted for 20%(29% of 70%) of my battery
use by themselves over that 12 hours. I just wasn't sure if that was typical, or quite an abnormality.

I don't even know what those Google items actually do. They surely used more juice than my screen, android OS, and cell standby combined though. That seems suspect to me.

anon(123856)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I had a problem similar to that when Google Contacts got stuck in some sort of sync loop. It had trouble syncing and wouldn't stop trying and sucked up the battery. You might want to take a look at your sync status. Maybe try wiping the cache partition as well.