Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Motomods: Style Shells

I like this aspect of it. When they did it for the G I was hoping for some translation into the X line - because being able to change backs means more personalization than just being able to choose one, usually when rushed because trying to order can be a whole level of pressure of its own, and then being done with it.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I like that option to pick out different backs. Keeps it caseless and it just ruins the back cover with scratches.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

That's a cool thing about releasing the specs into the wild - anyone can make anything.

I wonder if anyone will. It was hard enough to find cases from big name case manufacturers for the MXPE. Spigen and Speck both passed up making cases for the MXPE.

Will any big names bother with this device?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I wonder if anyone will. It was hard enough to find cases from big name case manufacturers for the MXPE. Spigen and Speck both passed up making cases for the MXPE.

Will any big names bother with this device?

IIRC, there are more accessories to be found for the DROID TURBO 2 than the Moto X Pure Edition. This is where having a carrier partner helps.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

IIRC, there are more accessories to be found for the DROID TURBO 2 than the Moto X Pure Edition. This is where having a carrier partner helps.

That doesn't help if someone doesn't use Verizon.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

UdT9K6F.jpg

aZJoXet.jpg

GIRVyCC.jpg

zc69OHw.jpg

JRYLi88.jpg

ZlXeshd.jpg

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

That doesn't help if someone doesn't use Verizon.

But physically, the Moto Z and Moto Z DROID EDITION are the same, thus Verizon asking accessories makers to make accessories for the DROIDs means Moto Z folks will have the same ones.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

But physically, the Moto Z and Moto Z DROID EDITION are the same, thus Verizon asking accessories makers to make accessories for the DROIDs means Moto Z folks will have the same ones.

That's true. However, I doubt if there will be much interest in the device in the US after the exclusivity period has passed.

rutkind

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site

Too bad the style shells don't have features like extra power, brighter flash, or something besides just being something nice to look at. Why not just a case so the corners are also protected? I think they look beautiful but not 100% sure of the benefit

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Too bad the style shells don't have features like extra power, brighter flash, or something besides just being something nice to look at. Why not just a case so the corners are also protected? I think they look beautiful but not 100% sure of the benefit

That can be made..

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

These are just mods that have been made and tested from Motorola. I can see Incipio making a battery and case for it.

Bora777

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

I like the idea of swappable shells and would probably get a couple if I do get a Moto Z, but it seems like a wasted opportunity to have not made one with wireless charging built-in. Sure, you've got the Incipio battery one but a basic slim one would be nice. I wouldn't be surprised if a third-party one crops up eventually.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

The new Moto Z is a simpler take on the modular phone | The Verge

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

This is good, and the way it should be (and really, if they are keeping MotoMaker around, completely expected). However, if a style shell will be included with every phone, why did Moto go to so much trouble to point out how thin the phone is without the mods? If they expect everyone to use at least the style mod (as the Verge article claims), why is thinness of the base phone a talking point?

Sometimes I feel like they made the phone thin simply because they could, not because it was a good idea.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

This is good, and the way it should be (and really, if they are keeping MotoMaker around, completely expected). However, if a style shell will be included with every phone, why did Moto go to so much trouble to point out how thin the phone is without the mods? If they expect everyone to use at least the style mod (as the Verge article claims), why is thinness of the base phone a talking point?

Sometimes I feel like they made the phone thin simply because they could, not because it was a good idea.

-If the style shell wasn't removable then the phone would be that much thicker when you snapped on a new mod.

-If the style shell has to be removable, why not polish the back of the device and let people use one without a style mod?

-If the back of the phone can be used without a style mod, why not advertise it as super thin?

I'd say its a combination of engineering and marketing.