Incipio Car Dock Moto Mod

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/01/new-motomods-mophie-car-dock/

And since the holidays are nearly upon us -- meaning lots of roadtrips to see family -- Motorola also teamed up Incipio with on a $65 car dock that charges your Z and can be used to automatically launch apps like Android Auto. Keep your eyes peeled for this one next week.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...moto-mod-incipio-car-dock-mophie-juice-pack#0

Incipio’s $64.99 Car Dock provides a way to mount a Moto Z in a car, charge its battery, and connect it to the car’s audio system via a 3.5mm output. The dock clips into the car’s air conditioning vent and can hold the phone horizontally or vertically with the magnets inside the phone. When the phone is docked, it will automatically launch Android Auto to provide a safer interface to use while driving.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hands-on-moto-z-mod-incipio-car-dock-mophie-juice-pack-battery/

The car dock is the more interesting of the two, with hinged grips that clamp onto your car's dashboard air vent. You simply squeeze two plastic wings on the back to release the unit. Since it's a Moto Mod, attaching the phone to the car dock is as simple as connecting the two through the phone's magnetic backplate.

The dock will turn on car mode and surfaces a list of common activities represented by big, easy-to-tap buttons, like playing your Pandora station.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-new-mophie-and-incipio-moto-mods-moto-z

Another new Moto Mod being introduced next week is an Incipio-built Car Dock, which leverages the magnetic back of the Moto Z series to make it easy to hold up the phone while driving. The dock itself uses a standard clip at the back to safely attach to a vent, but it overcomes the inherent problems of many of those designs by removing the weight-bearing clips in favor of a strong magnet.

At $64.99, the Incipio Car Dock is not cheap, and will only be useful for a certain type of driver, but because it automatically launches Android Auto upon connection, and has an Auxiliary cable to plug into a car stereo, its premium price does afford a few benefits.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Does it come with a car charger attached? Because that would be sweet.

Not quite 100% on it including the full charger, but it does charge according to the first article linked:
Motorola also teamed up with Incipio on a $65 car dock that charges your Z and can be used to automatically launch apps like Android Auto.

pmmears

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Got it from Verizon. Works as advertised. Attaches in same manner as the other Moto Mods, magnetic. If you use a bumper or run without a case it is easily attached and removed. I would not want to be removing a case everytime I used it. Same build quality as other Incipio products.
It does not come with stand alone charger but has USB C jack for attaching any appropriate car charger if needed.

Wallaboom

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
I recently got one, and it works as described. Make sure to have Android Auto installed, but works great especially once you setup "OK Google". I just rip my wood back off and pop it on there very seamless.If you are used to a vent based car mount it is very similar. Just the integration with auto launching Android Auto and just popping on is what you are paying for, that and USB C 15 amp + Headphone jack.

sonex293

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
One strange problem I am having with the Incipio Car Dock is with audio. I am connecting to my car stereo via Bluetooth and my car is not Android Auto compatible but it does have Bluetooth in. If I plug into the dock, Android Auto launches and Google Play starts playing MP3 but I have to hit a volume button on the phone to hear the audio. Just a single tap is all it takes. If I leave the phone in my pocket, the file starts just fine. Haven't found a fix yet.

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
One strange problem I am having with the Incipio Car Dock is with audio. I am connecting to my car stereo via Bluetooth and my car is not Android Auto compatible but it does have Bluetooth in. If I plug into the dock, Android Auto launches and Google Play starts playing MP3 but I have to hit a volume button on the phone to hear the audio. Just a single tap is all it takes. If I leave the phone in my pocket, the file starts just fine. Haven't found a fix yet.

Android Auto seems to be somewhat buggy yet. I don't think the company is putting a lot of resources behind it.

sta18ff

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm quite happy with it. It does not come with a charging cable, but I just plugged in the mobile charger I already had. I love just clicking it in and having charger and audio output to stereo automatically connected. It is a bit expensive, but I think it is worth it in the long run.

312MotoGus

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I can't wait for one of these, probably for my birthday next month. I want to modify it to use a dash-mount base, I don't like vent mounts. Other than that, it seems perfect to me.

tapanzee

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Vent mount keeps falling off. Which proclips back and front did you use? how did you get the car holder on it with the vent mount in the way?

Paul Roundy

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
I just got one of these. So far I really like it, except there is a whistling sound. With the volume up you hardly notice it. It only happens when you have the power plugged in and the audio on. The whistling changes pitch when I press on the gas (accelerator). Does anyone know how to fix this (other than unplugging the power)?

Thanks,
Paul

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon