Edge - Supercharge your Moto Z

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Chroma - new Moto Mod concept

I'm curious how it would look if say, you had an email and a facebook update. I assume 2 colors showing, with the 2 colors slowing "chasing" each other around the edge? Then if a 3rd app had a notification, a 3rd color would be added in?

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

I'm curious how it would look if say, you had an email and a facebook update. I assume 2 colors showing, with the 2 colors slowing "chasing" each other around the edge? Then if a 3rd app had a notification, a 3rd color would be added in?

Interesting. That would be cool, but it could get confusing, but maybe not. If there was another option available for having each notification's color pulse for like a second. So of you have 4 or 5 notifications after a while, you get a solid color for a second, then fades to another notification color, then a other.

I'm hoping the app allows for this flexibility. I imagine there would be some baked 'recipes' in the app, but then some ability to make unique recipes... kind of like IFTTT.

Thoughts?

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

That's exacly how it's going to work :)

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Interesting. That would be cool, but it could get confusing, but maybe not. If there was another option available for having each notification's color pulse for like a second. So of you have 4 or 5 notifications after a while, you get a solid color for a second, then fades to another notification color, then a other.

I'm hoping the app allows for this flexibility. I imagine there would be some baked 'recipes' in the app, but then some ability to make unique recipes... kind of like IFTTT.

Thoughts?

This is just a teaser :) There will be 4 patterns to choose from, including the "Fill" mode, which you just mentioned. I'll upload these soon!

Last edited:

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Does the same color pattern appear the same on all sides of the phone at the same time? Or is it one continuous train? Does that question make sense?

Yeah, each notification you get will go around the edges of the phone once, the next one will start off after the previous is complete. If it didn't go around all of the edges, you might miss it.

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Hi guys,

We've had an internal discussion about further development and need your help. There are 2 features in our Mod that can be implemented, but we can only do one due to price/Mod thickness concerns.

Apart from the LED notification functionality, would you prefer:

a) slightly thicker module (around 5mm) with a 2000mAh battery that will power the LEDs and be able to recharge your phone
b) wireless charging module that will power your phone (it should be slightly thinner, around 3.5mm - 4mm)

Please be honest with your answers and thank you for your help!

POLL:https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfe4cpEhuZGkmivQH8QctnY5pN4EcO3aEjYXhmf-g092O1kiQ/viewform

Tom

Last edited:

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
File doesn't exist ...

I'd go with the thinner one. You said it would power the phone, just while wirelessly charging I assume. No battery in the mod, right?

Attachments

• 25555.jpg
    25555.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 75

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Hi guys!

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for participating, we got a lot of entries which made the results more accurate.

The results are:

53.6% would like to see a 2000mAh battery built into the mod (with edge notifications)
44.2 would like wireless charging instead of a built in battery (with edge notifications)
2.2% don't mind which version will be made

This is a bit surprising, I thought that there would be a lot less people interested in wireless charging.
I promised that we will be taking everyone's opinion into account and that we will share the whole development process with you. This allows us to get lots of useful feedback and get closer to meet everyone's expectations.

The bad news (for some of you) is that we will not create a Mod that features an additional battery together with wireless charging. There are several reasons for this - Incipio already has a battery Mod with wireless charging, it would have impact on thickness (would probably go up to 6.5mm-7mm) and the edge notifications are a priority for our design.

The good news is that we decided to create 2 versions of our Mod:

The version that you have already seen and know - edge notifications with a built in 2000mAh battery, aiming for around 5mm thickness.

Wireless charging + edge notifications Mod, no battery built in. Aiming for 3.5mm thickness.

This is possible because we will be able to create electronics for both versions with the same dimensions. We will only have to replace some components and add a charging pad instead of the battery. A smart casing design will also allow for some savings on manufacturing.

I hope you guys are as excited as we are with further progress and happy with the decision we made! :)

Thanks, Tom

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Awesome! You say that you can implement both designs (battery vs wireless charging) using the same dimensions, but one is going to be 5mm thick and the other 3.5-4mm thick? Those aren't the same dimensions... or is the thickness of both the battery and charging plate the same in the mod? Just the peripherals take more or less thickness to implement?

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

Awesome! You say that you can implement both designs (battery vs wireless charging) using the same dimensions, but one is going to be 5mm thick and the other 3.5-4mm thick? Those aren't the same dimensions... or is the thickness of both the battery and charging plate the same in the mod? Just the peripherals take more or less thickness to implement?

The thickness of the electronic board, where the LEDs are located is going to be the same for both designs(about 2mm). The version with a 2000mAh battery is slightly thicker because of the battery itself. Replacing it with a QI pad instead, that is around 1mm thick will reduce the thickness to ~3.5mm, as the plastic housing is going to be about 0.7mm-0.8mm thick on both sides.

To sum it up: 5mm for 2000mAh battery, 3.5mm for wireless charging version. This is what we're aiming for :).

We've also implemented another small change - we're changing the name from "Chroma" to "Edge" and using a minimal dimple instead of a full logo:
I've updated the teaser with it:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/chroma-supercharge-your-notifications/coming_soon

What do you guys think?

han4mi

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site

The campaign launch is planned for February 6th, I'll keep you guys updated, thanks!

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

So I was just thinking, are there going to be provisions to have the Edge not light up when notifications come, like at night time so I won't get woken up by a rainbow of colors beating against my thin eyelids? Something independent from the Do Not Disturb setting on the phone itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38