Mod or No Mod for Daydream

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Heat seems to be the enemy when using Daydream. What would be the best way to keep it cool? No mod to allow more airflow (which is a problem considering it's enclosed anyway)? Or a battery mod to help dissipate heat?

Looked at all the other ways to keep phone cool using Daydream, mainly just talking about the Mod involvement. Thanks!

mwilsoncbi

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Get the mophie battery mod it or any battery mod !

Set it to economy!

The economy mode switches back and forth between the two batteries. The break and rest period makes it run much cooler in my opinion!

Much better than running non- stop and better than any internal fan or cooling system!

Just my 2 cents ! Hope this helps!

Kd

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, the battery mods simply charge the phone. It cannot actually be the original power source. So in other words it doesn't switch back and forth.

mwilsoncbi

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Just to be clear, the battery mods simply charge the phone. It cannot actually be the original power source. So in other words it doesn't switch back and forth.
It is the original power source while charging the original battery!

The mofie powers the phone and the original battery at the same time!

Once fully charged it turns off and the internal battery switches on and the mophie switches off.

They rotate powering the phone and taking a break!

That is how mine works under economy mode.

Under default mode the mofie powered it first until completely depleted. Then the internal battery is used up next. .

The difference between the 80% and 100% default settings is dramatic regarding heat.

Just my 2 cents.

Kd

hotshotazn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
It is the original power source while charging the original battery!

The mofie powers the phone and the original battery at the same time!

Once fully charged it turns off and the internal battery switches on and the mophie switches off.

They rotate powering the phone and taking a break!

That is how mine works under economy mode.

Under default mode the mofie powered it first until completely depleted. Then the internal battery is used up next. .

The difference between the 80% and 100% default settings is dramatic regarding heat.

Just my 2 cents.

Kd

Sorry but this is incorrect. In both modes, the battery mod trickle charges the main battery. For example, the phone uses 150 mah, the mod replaces that 150 mah. The phone doesn't pull from the mod instead of the main battery. Try this, set your battery mod to efficiency mode. Let it get down to 80% then fire up something battery intensive (Pokemon Go with the GPS mod). Watch your main battery go down below 80% as your battery mod is trying to keep it charged.

As for heat, that is subjective. Using the battery mod regardless of mode will generate more heat because it is constantly trickle charging. I don't use the mod when I am using the Day Dream.

mwilsoncbi

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Look at these!

e8641c30ccdaab3b53d28c72df365463.jpg

c9df3195c95d26ff37f50dbda0fc1764.jpg

465fde2e98bc3080ed9003145223353f.jpg

Note that the words charging and not charging!

Also look at the charging line with all those breaks when the mophie mod is on break and not in use!

Then when charging up the battery it is powering the phone and the internal battery rests and recharges.

Based on my power history it does work like I was saying. Also note that the two batteries are listed.

Kd

mwilsoncbi

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
When on default mode you do not get all those lines in the charging line. You get one big long line from being on constantly to maintain the internal battery at 100%

With economy setting it uses the internal down to 80% and shuts down and uses the mod battery next until the internal battery gets back to 100% and the internal battery kicks back in and mod shuts down.

Kd

mwilsoncbi

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Note the charging on mod

And the not charging status indicated on top few words.

The device switches charging and not charging.

Both batteries get a small break and chance to cool down.

Kd

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Heat seems to be the enemy when using Daydream. What would be the best way to keep it cool? No mod to allow more airflow (which is a problem considering it's enclosed anyway)? Or a battery mod to help dissipate heat?

Looked at all the other ways to keep phone cool using Daydream, mainly just talking about the Mod involvement. Thanks!

Somehow this heat based question has evolved into a battery control logic argument. I have tried several things, but not sure I've found a satisfactory solution. I've tried using aluminum foil sandwiched between the phone and the original back (with holes cutout for the camera and the mod pins). I've tried a thin aluminum sheet and a thinner tin sheet sandwiched by the back plate too. I'm trying to find thermal cold packs small enough that fit the phone (without back) and the pack in headset.

If I had access to a CNC machine, I'd love to try milling a mod that had heatsink fins to add surface area to dissipate heat.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Note the charging on mod

And the not charging status indicated on top few words.

The device switches charging and not charging.

Both batteries get a small break and chance to cool down.

Kd

One must realize that with a battery mod, you have the phone, which generates heat, covered with another heat source, the battery mod. Neither one acts as a heat sink to the other, if anything it's more of a blanket. The best way to test/prove this would be to time how long it takes the phone to get to a certain temp using a battery temp alarm app like https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bsmartapps.batterytempalarmpro&token=2qnmgDiw

Make sure to start the phone out at the same starting temp condition, run the same vr game, then see how long it takes for your phone to beep at either 100°F/105°F/110°F/115°F. I think you'll find that the battery mod doesn't improve play time before the alarm trips.

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
After using the Daydream some I can say that it doesn't seem to get too terribly hot with the battery on. I do think the extra battery probably does provide some heat sink-y-ness :)

Granted, I haven't done anything to terribly involved yet. But I have watched some video for a while and the phone (and mod) just got warm but not too terribly hot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith